Best/Worst Blocking Tight Ends

Fresh Prince

Are you talking all time?  Daniel Graham I thought was an outstanding blocker, dude was a force. 

Tommy Tremble currently I feel is very versatile and tough as a blocker.  Nick Vannett and Luke Farrell to me are only in the league because of their blocking ability.

Patrick Ricard and Kyle Juszczyk but both are more HB types or FB types potentially, same could be Connor Heyward down the road.

Jimmy Kleinsasser was in the league for a damn long time and basically it was only because of his blocking.  

Darnell Washington coming into this up coming draft is a massive force in the run game and as a blocker, basically is another OT at his size honestly.  And Jason Peters was a hell of a blocker, obviously ended up as a OT in the NFL when he was a jumbo TE in college.  

Among Current Worst Blocking: Robert Tonyan, Austin Hooper, Darren Waller, Greg Dulcich, Mike Gesicki
Among Current Best: George Kittle,  Mark Andrews, Marcades Lewis, Cole Kmet, sometimes Hockenson (better at it as a Viking than Lion this year supposedly)

from glancing at PFF some others are plus on run blocking but fail on pass blocking or flipped and didn't really include them minus Kittle who had a bad pass blocking grade, but of the two types that seems less important given he should be running routes and obviously has minimal snaps pass blocking in comparrison. All the Ravens TEs (minus Boyle) graded well in run blocking. Some guys like Jeremy Ruckert graded really well just didn't have snaps to matter. Seattle's TEs in general graded well at blocking too.

On 2/4/2023 at 8:31 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

George Kittle = great blocker

Mark Andrews = not a great blocker

Andrews has actually improved significantly since 2018/2019. In 2021 he was actually a pretty big asset in the blocking department. Last year he was average but certainly not the liability he used to be.

And Andrews isn’t a slouch when blocking inline, either, ranking third among tight ends in run-blocking grade for 2021.

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/08/ravens-te-mark-andrews-ranked-as-one-of-the-best-at-his-position-by-pro-football-focus/ 

I'm not typically a blind PFF supporter at all but I saw Mark absolutely mauling people in the run game in 2021 and a quick google seemed to support that. Would be interested to see his 2022 blocking grade.

Edited by Ray Reed

On 2/5/2023 at 3:15 PM, Ozzy said:

Are you talking all time?  Daniel Graham I thought was an outstanding blocker, dude was a force. 

Tommy Tremble currently I feel is very versatile and tough as a blocker.  Nick Vannett and Luke Farrell to me are only in the league because of their blocking ability.

Patrick Ricard and Kyle Juszczyk but both are more HB types or FB types potentially, same could be Connor Heyward down the road.

Jimmy Kleinsasser was in the league for a damn long time and basically it was only because of his blocking.  

Darnell Washington coming into this up coming draft is a massive force in the run game and as a blocker, basically is another OT at his size honestly.  And Jason Peters was a hell of a blocker, obviously ended up as a OT in the NFL when he was a jumbo TE in college.  

I was just talking my about this past year. I know there are lists that rank them by percentages, but can’t find them anywhere.

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Andrews has actually improved significantly since 2018/2019. In 2021 he was actually a pretty big asset in the blocking department. Last year he was average but certainly not the liability he used to be.

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/08/ravens-te-mark-andrews-ranked-as-one-of-the-best-at-his-position-by-pro-football-focus/ 

I'm not typically a blind PFF supporter at all but I saw Mark absolutely mauling people in the run game in 2021 and a quick google seemed to support that. Would be interested to see his 2022 blocking grade.

Yeah I thought Andrews was good at it. He’s usually not asked to maul dudes and he’s usually either kicking out a DE or seal/logging them if they run hard down the line of scrimmage. He has some easy blocking angles, but he’s good at what he’s asked to do, from what I’ve seen.

He wasn’t even bad at it in college—they just rarely asked him to be in-line or be a part of the blocking scheme. I was shocked and appalled he slid to the 4th round. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

I was just talking my about this past year. I know there are lists that rank them by percentages, but can’t find them anywhere.

I would guess Tommy Tremble, Cole Kmet or Dallas Goedert.  Kmet and goedert are just so large and strong, especially Kmet but both can stay on the field longer because they are weapons in the passing game.  Tremble not so much but is a great blocker I think, but also could be maybe considered a HB type similar to Ricard and Juszczyk.