The 2023 Free Agency Game

Madmike90

There was a cliche dumb stoner kid in my high school class named Jordan Hicks. Was always high and confused and called everything “ridiculous”. Idk if he knows what the word means. But yeah, for this reason I don’t want him 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, there are alot if potential cuts I would be interested in for the Bears. These two are pretty low on that list

Shaq Mason is high on that list for me. TB is like $50M over the cap, and Mason has one of their more easily moved on from big contracts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, Madmike90 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Okay so the game is simple...after we make some cuts & put some money aside to resign some of our own/extensions/draft picks/vet min FA/emergency fund we should have around $70 million in FA to spend...use the list above for the projected per year salary and with no other restrictions on the amount you sign or who other teams may sign let's see who you would bring in?...

OT Jawaan Taylor - $14.75 million

OG Dalton Risner - $7.5 million

DT Daron Payne - $20 million

DT A'Shawn Robinson - $2.5 million

DE Dre'Mont Jones - $14.5 million

LB Bobby Okereke - $8.5 million

Total Spend: $67.75 million

Of course my FA was going to be trench heavy what were you expecting? haha

Can you list out potential contracts?  They are behind a pay wall.

Using numbers from above I could find from other posts - I filled in rest with Spotrac numbers - I went 1.15 over 70 mil budget I was given - but I probably cut more people too. 

I want all guys in FA under 28 and preferably even younger.

If I had to lose a guy from list it is Nate Davis and/or Barkley as I can get good players at those positions in draft I believe:

LB Bobby Okereke - $8.5 million (above)

Saquon Barkley  - $10.1M (above)
RB · Age: 26

Marcus Davenport - $23.2 (Spotrac)

Edge · Age: 27

Jawaan Taylor   14.75 million (above)
OT · Age: 25

Ethan Pocic  7.2 (spotrac)

C · Age: 28

Nate Davis  7.4 (spotrac)
OG · Age: 26

Total 71.15

With this FA class in place I think OL is addressed as well as possible going into draft.   That is a solid starter at RT, C and LG to add to Jones and Jenkins.   I am happy with that starting 5 and now I am not chasing any OL in draft.   

I would be targeting BPA in draft of course, but I think I am obligated to find a very large NT and 3T somewhere in the draft.   There are a number of quality NTs and 3Ts in draft that can be had between 2 and 5 I think.   

Obviously if we draft Carter at 4 he takes care of my primary 3 tech.    

So we have Davenport, Carter (perhaps), rookie NT, Gipson as our starting DL.   With Jones, Robinson, maybe Watts and whatever journeymen Poles adds in mix to rotate in.   Gipson would be only returning starter.   If we did add talent of above, I think Gipson and Jones look a lot better than they did in 2022.   Gipson was pretty good last year and okay before Quinn left this year.    

I am not sure you are getting any impact WR if we go DL with first pick, but of course I will be on look out.   TE as well.

Maybe we get lucky with someone after first round and strike gold.   

My major FA and first round upgrades are going to be on OL and DL.   That is just way I roll.

If you have a good OL in place you still added a major explosive playmaker to mix in Barkley who is also an excellent receiver out of backfield.

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Using numbers from above I could find from other posts - I filled in rest with Spotrac numbers - I went 1.15 over 70 mil budget I was given - but I probably cut more people too. 

I want all guys in FA under 28 and preferably even younger.

If I had to lose a guy from list it is Nate Davis and/or Barkley as I can get good players at those positions in draft I believe:

LB Bobby Okereke - $8.5 million (above)

Saquon Barkley  - $10.1M (above)
RB · Age: 26

Marcus Davenport - $23.2 (Spotrac)

Edge · Age: 27

Jawaan Taylor   14.75 million (above)
OT · Age: 25

Ethan Pocic  7.2 (spotrac)

C · Age: 28

Nate Davis  7.4 (spotrac)
OG · Age: 26

Total 71.15

With this FA class in place I think OL is addressed as well as possible going into draft.   That is a solid starter at RT, C and LG to add to Jones and Jenkins.   I am happy with that starting 5 and now I am not chasing any OL in draft.   

I would be targeting BPA in draft of course, but I think I am obligated to find a very large NT and 3T somewhere in the draft.   There are a number of quality NTs and 3Ts in draft that can be had between 2 and 5 I think.   

Obviously if we draft Carter at 4 he takes care of my primary 3 tech.    

So we have Davenport, Carter (perhaps), rookie NT, Gipson as our starting DL.   With Jones, Robinson, maybe Watts and whatever journeymen Poles adds in mix to rotate in.   Gipson would be only returning starter.   If we did add talent of above, I think Gipson and Jones look a lot better than they did in 2022.   Gipson was pretty good last year and okay before Quinn left this year.    

I am not sure you are getting any impact WR if we go DL with first pick, but of course I will be on look out.   TE as well.

Maybe we get lucky with someone after first round and strike gold.   

My major FA and first round upgrades are going to be on OL and DL.   That is just way I roll.

If you have a good OL in place you still added a major explosive playmaker to mix in Barkley who is also an excellent receiver out of backfield.

I may be in the minority here but I'm not sure I give Davenport that much money. I understand he is young and big and strong but his numbers were just okay to me. That's also with Cam Jordan opposite of him. He just doesn't move the meter enough for me. I think if we offer him that contract and he has 7 sacks on the year people will run him out of town (he only has 21.5 sacks in 5 seasons, and yes I know he was injured last year).

4 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I may be in the minority here but I'm not sure I give Davenport that much money. I understand he is young and big and strong but his numbers were just okay to me. That's also with Cam Jordan opposite of him. He just doesn't move the meter enough for me. I think if we offer him that contract and he has 7 sacks on the year people will run him out of town (he only has 21.5 sacks in 5 seasons, and yes I know he was injured last year).

It is a huge, huge risk and gamble I agree.

If we didn't have this much cap space and a giant need at edge I would never consider him.   

I went there after Payne was tagged.

If he plays to his potential and stays healthy it is 100% worth it.   Big IF.     He was a project coming out, but he is getting it now.   Kind of like RHR in Jacksonville started to get it lately.   

His talent itself is unquestioned I think.  He just gets banged up a lot.   Greatest talent is availability and all that.  

I think I agree with analysts that sacks are hugely overrated statistic.  He can play run, pressure QB and draws OL attention.

I had to go by a public number too.   We may be able to sign him for less as many probably feel as you do.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

It is a huge, huge risk and gamble I agree.

If he plays to his potential and stays healthy it is 100% worth it.   Big IF.     

That’s the hang up with him though - he has never stayed healthy, and even when he has he’s only occasionally played up to his potential. He’s played over 13 games just once, in 2022 - a year in which he had only 0.5 more sacks than me. He’s had more bad seasons statistically than good ones at this point. In 2 of the last 3 years he’s played more than 10 games and had less than 2 sacks. Even with sacks being a flawed measure of ability, that’s bad. Like, AQM levels of bad.

I want nothing to do with Marcus Davenport at that $23M number. Hell, I don’t want anything to do with Davenport at even 30% of that number unless it’s on a 1 year prove it deal, and that’s not gonna land him anyway. After 5 seasons he is what he is for me - an injury prone underachiever. Didn’t we just finish purging the roster of those types of guys? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s the hang up with him though - he has never stayed healthy, and even when he has he’s only occasionally played up to his potential. He’s played over 13 games just once, in 2022 - a year in which he had only 0.5 more sacks than me. He’s had more bad seasons statistically than good ones at this point. In 2 of the last 3 years he’s played more than 10 games and had less than 2 sacks. Even with sacks being a flawed measure of ability, that’s bad. Like, AQM levels of bad.

I want nothing to do with Marcus Davenport at that $23M number. Hell, I don’t want anything to do with Davenport at even 30% of that number unless it’s on a 1 year prove it deal, and that’s not gonna land him anyway. After 5 seasons he is what he is for me - an injury prone underachiever. Didn’t we just finish purging the roster of those types of guys? 

This. It blew my mind seeing that mocked by someone I (used to) respect. The market is changing but it would effectively make him like the third highest paid defensive lineman in annual salary in the league, a player with infinitely more risk than aqm due to the money tied into him and a career long track record of health issues

• Like 1