Brian Flores Hired as Defensive Coordinator

battle2heaven

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Was it? 

There was a clear and significant decline in his play in 2021, too. 

It certainly didn't help that he was playing hurt a good portion of 2021.  Again, I'm just going to wait and see.  

Me Against The World' - 24 years ago today | Genius

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Nope. Even injured he was in the top tier for pressures and hits. It doesn’t matter how fast you get to the QB it guys are open at the snap.

Extend him and spread the money out. He’s a perfect fit in a Flores defense.

To back this up - Z Smith is a bargain for his production. If they can lower his hit over a few years, great. Otherwise let him play on this deal - he's the 22nd highest paid EDGE in the NFL right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I don't deny the emotional attachment, but I watched him a lot last year and he just seemed to be plain lost.  All ILBs rely on the players in front of them to be successful, him possibly even slightly moreso of his size.  When he has the proper DL in front of him, he's not average as you seem to believe he is...he's better than average.  And that's worth it to me.  I'm not in favor of jettisoning both starting LBs, because then you have completely green LBs.  That's not a recipe for success as far as I'm concerned.  I'm certainly fine with starting Asamoah, as he deserves it, but then who would you have starting on the other side of him?  Dye, Kwenkeu? Some random free agent?  No thank you. 

Devin Bush was brought up, since he played for Flores last year?  He wasn't very good playing for Flores...in fact, he was worse for Flores than Kendricks was under Donatell. 

How did the scheme make it so he couldn't tackle anymore? He was just not good at all. Maybe with the right scheme he's ok? Do we want ok at that price?

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

How did the scheme make it so he couldn't tackle anymore? He was just not good at all. Maybe with the right scheme he's ok? Do we want ok at that price?

He led the team in tackles, so I believe the statement that he can't tackle anymore is an overstatement.  Yes, he led the team in missed tackles, but considering he was in on more plays than probably anyone, that might have contributed to that number.  He was also tied for 3rd on the team in most tackles for loss.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

He led the team in tackles, so I believe the statement that he can't tackle anymore is an overstatement.  Yes, he led the team in missed tackles, but considering he was in on more plays than probably anyone, that might have contributed to that number.  He was also tied for 3rd on the team in most tackles for loss.  

That's like saying it's good your CB made a lot of tackles..... We clearly didn't see it the same. He was not good. Not even close to good. Dudes ran by and thru him all year. I agree, some of that was scheme..... But not close to all of it was scheme. 

Listening to the Locked on NFL podcast right now about the Flores hire.

Apparently, from the people that were down at the Senior Bowl, this was the worst kept secret in the league. According to the host, Kwesi and Flores were attached at the hip; every time he saw one, he saw the other. "Literally, every time I saw one of them, the other was standing next to him...on the field, in the suites, in the bars at night."

haha, well then.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

That's like saying it's good your CB made a lot of tackles..... We clearly didn't see it the same. He was not good. Not even close to good. Dudes ran by and thru him all year. I agree, some of that was scheme..... But not close to all of it was scheme. 

IMO, there's a huge difference between CBs and LBs getting lots of tackles.  Their responsibilities are significantly different.  If your CB is leading in tackles, then you've got far bigger issues than just scheme alone (although that would certainly be a giant red flag).  Is he as good as 2019?  Absolutely not.  But, his value is right there with the 3 seasons before that...and yes, I'm okay with that.     

All I'm suggesting is that I find him more valuable to the defense than people are giving him credit for.  As far as overpaid veterans, I'm getting rid of Thielen and Dalvin on offense and Hicks on defense (and not bringing back Tomlinson or Peterson) before I consider what to do with Kendricks.  Should he be making $11M?  No, but I'm definitely bringing him back on a reduced deal, as they did with Greenway.  It may all be moot regardless, as they could get rid of him or he may choose not to agree to that.  That's fine.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Listening to the Locked on NFL podcast right now about the Flores hire.

Apparently, from the people that were down at the Senior Bowl, this was the worst kept secret in the league. According to the host, Kwesi and Flores were attached at the hip; every time he saw one, he saw the other. "Literally, every time I saw one of them, the other was standing next to him...on the field, in the suites, in the bars at night."

haha, well then.

they're off to a good start then. very collegial, very collaborative.

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

IMO, there's a huge difference between CBs and LBs getting lots of tackles.  Their responsibilities are significantly different.  If your CB is leading in tackles, then you've got far bigger issues than just scheme alone (although that would certainly be a giant red flag).  Is he as good as 2019?  Absolutely not.  But, his value is right there with the 3 seasons before that...and yes, I'm okay with that.     

All I'm suggesting is that I find him more valuable to the defense than people are giving him credit for.  As far as overpaid veterans, I'm getting rid of Thielen and Dalvin on offense and Hicks on defense (and not bringing back Tomlinson or Peterson) before I consider what to do with Kendricks.  Should he be making $11M?  No, but I'm definitely bringing him back on a reduced deal, as they did with Greenway.  It may all be moot regardless, as they could get rid of him or he may choose not to agree to that.  That's fine.    

I agree on the guys you mention, though I could be talked into keeping Peterson. 

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm curious about why you are so low on Tomlinson. The stance on both players doesn't match what they did on the field at all, and that's over 2 seasons. I'd argue that while Tomlinson was on the field, we was the most consistently good player on that side of the ball.

If Kendricks would come back at ~4m, I'd be ok seeing if he could fill a rotational spot and be a veteran leader. The odds of that are basically zero, so it's time to move on.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I don't deny the emotional attachment, but I watched him a lot last year and he just seemed to be plain lost.  All ILBs rely on the players in front of them to be successful, him possibly even slightly moreso of his size.  When he has the proper DL in front of him, he's not average as you seem to believe he is...he's better than average.  And that's worth it to me.  I'm not in favor of jettisoning both starting LBs, because then you have completely green LBs.  That's not a recipe for success as far as I'm concerned.  I'm certainly fine with starting Asamoah, as he deserves it, but then who would you have starting on the other side of him?  Dye, Kwenkeu? Some random free agent?  No thank you. 

Devin Bush was brought up, since he played for Flores last year?  He wasn't very good playing for Flores...in fact, he was worse for Flores than Kendricks was under Donatell. 

I’m in favor of getting rid of all the veteran overpaid players.  But only because we have Flores. Some I’d want to get rid of anyway for cap reasons, but, again, if Flores himself decides to keep someone like Kendrick’s around, I won’t question it. Other than my own personal feelings (which doesn’t weigh anything at all), I tend to trust Flores more than question. Heck, if Flores himself decides to keep all the veterans, I’d be disappointed, but I’d trust that he knows what he’s doing. 

I just don’t see that happening. 

Anyone excited about Cine or Booth Jr?  A lot of fans seem to already categorize those two as wasted picks. I’m close to doing that myself.  I thought Cine not playing early was Donatell’s fault, since he was pretty terrible overall. But the more I think about it, the more uncertain I am. 

As for Booth Jr., I mean, Evans and Dantzler were more impressive. And if he can’t overcome injuries (as he’s had since college) then he was a waste too. Only CB worth resigning and keeping is Shelley. May need to get a bit stronger because he can’t alter his height, but I became a big fan of his. 

I personally hope they bring back Shelley and make every other secondary and Linebacker position open for opportunity. 

Edited by Morlee