Brian Flores Hired as Defensive Coordinator

battle2heaven

16 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I mean, it's hard to be worse. 

It is hard to be worse, but the improvement has to be significant.  It can't be just going from #30 to #26.  It has to be a move to something like #17 or #18 to have a dramatic difference on the team as a whole.  If it can't do that, I still don't see how anything changes as a team.  They really were a 9-win team that lucked into being a 13-win team.  Unless they dramatically improve defensively, they are probably still going to be a 9-win team no matter if the offense improves some. 

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

bet hard on a Flores based major improvement.

I sincerely hope so, but I'm still skeptical based on the talent on the roster, which I think has decreased significantly.  I think Flores will probably be a very good DC, but outside of the talent on the roster, it should be noted that he's never been a full-time play-caller either and this is actual first time he's been a DC.  He called plays part of the time in NE his final year and didn't call plays full time as HC in Miami either, as Boyer usually called the plays (wonder what he's doing right now).   

• Like 2

Talent has not decreased, IMO. The love for EK and P2 is over the top, and while Z will be missed, the FA signings and players being used to their strengths will bear out that the talent was only a small part of how bad the defense was last year.

Flores is going to make a huge impact year one. Bookmark this post :) 

• Like 4

One thing that stands out in watching the Vikings’ defense practice under new coordinator Brian Flores is just how much work safety Josh Metellus has been getting. The thing is it isn’t just at safety.

Metellus is lining up all over the place — Harrison Smith and Cam Bynum remain the first-team safeties — and creating havoc for the offense. Clearly, the thought is he will do the same against opponents. Dropping into coverage on one play, blitzing on the next. Metellus, a fourth-year player from Michigan, brings both athletic ability and smarts.

Metellus: “I think a lot of it is just Coach Flo’s trust in me to learn multiple spots. So far, in a game, I’ve played nickel and safety. I moved around and played dime last year a little bit. It was already on tape that I can play those spots. It was just a trust in my ability to learn all of the system fast and get out there and help the team. That’s really what it all comes down to. I love football, so learning the whole defense, I was planning on doing that anyway. So now they’re telling me to do it, so it already falls into what I was planning on doing. It’s just learning the defense as a whole instead of just my spot at safety. I wouldn’t say it’s hard, it’s just more work than learning one spot.”

Metellus, a special-teams standout last season, said he also hopes to continue those duties as long as possible.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-otas-jaren-hall-josh-metellus-justin-jefferson-danielle-hunter/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1RN_i20rKjmd6kn_5MhFpmPjD-TbDUVGRvlwOD9QZMu4YqUc0QFaltAU0

Looking ahead at the Vikings 2023 season, Adofo-Mensah was asked to spotlight one player who can be an "unsung hero" for Minnesota that fans should keep their eye on. He didn't hesitate in responding:

"Josh Metellus. He's a safety, and he'll play some more this year, so I think you'll see the stuff that we've seen. He was a special teams stalwart last year, team-captain type. I was in the team meeting room later in the season after Brian O'Neill got hurt, Josh was given team captain … You can feel when somebody's teammates really love them, really appreciate them and really want to follow them into battle, and he's one of those guys.

"He's everything that the Minnesota Vikings are about, and I think people are really going to appreciate that more this season."

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-peter-schrager-interview-nuggets-kwesi-adofo-mensah?fbclid=IwAR3JeyvurZN0geL2ZZ8oNqyii1CKsEDPiWyKxwfZ0pYgtBLxk6YY2l1nj8M

• Like 1

However it turns out, I think we'll be fine once Harry retires.  With Metellus, Cine and Bynum, I'm sure at least 2 of them can pan out as starters.  Although Metellus is playing for a potential extension, since he's in the last year of his deal. 

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Cine is firmly at backup safety & special teams. 

That's too bad.  I was hoping for so much more than that from him -- or anyone drafted where Cine was drafted. Is it the injury?  Is it not looking like he'll ever be able to reach the potential he had prior to that?  Or is it more a matter of the team inaccurately projecting Cine in the NFL when they drafted him?

• Like 1

It’s too early to see where Cine is on the depth chart. 

One, Cine is coming off of a horrific injury, and we know that this staff doesn’t rush things when it comes to rehab and bringing players back. 

And two, the coaches themselves have said not to read too much into where players are playing in terms of depth during OTAs and mini camp. 

• Like 5

It was a good day for second-year cornerback Akayleb Evans, who has been running with the first-team defense for most of the offseason. He had a pass breakup in 7s and then nearly made a spectacular interception on a deep ball during the 11-on-11 situational period to end practice. Evans showed flashes as a rookie but had his campaign derailed by concussions. If he can stay on the field this year, he has significant potential.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-minicamp-recap-day-2-harrison-smith-lewis-cine-get-ints