Brian Flores Hired as Defensive Coordinator

battle2heaven

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Who knows if true but they have claimed to have sources in the past. I’ll believe it because it fits my narrative 

Curious what that plan would be, I assume it is go win a championship instead of rebuild a so so football team as a HC.  I also assume the plan was giving him defensive control over players selected or at least given a ton of input on the players selected and brought in with free agency.  Huge holes on the DL and at CB obviously.  Not even sure Booth/Dantzler/Evans are even starter material honestly, and Booth/Dantzler get hurt constantly.  Did bring in some good depth on the edge with Weaver but honestly that is the last thing we needed unless one will play Weaver on the DL as a 3/4 athletic DE which maybe could happen, I do not expect much from Day.  

DE  (?)  / Otomewo / Willekes
NT (?) / Day
DE H. Phillips / Lynch / Blacklock 

OLB D. Hunter / Wonnum / Weaver
ILB Kendricks
ILB Hicks / Asamoah
OLB Z. Smith / P. Jones / Vilian

CB Booth / (?) / Gowan
Slot CB (?)
CB Dantzler / Evans
SS H. Smith / Metellus
FS Cine / Bynum

Defensive Free Agents:

Tomlinson DE
Peterson CB
Sullivan CB
Shelley CB
Boyd CB
Bullard DE
Tonga NT

Would love to bring back Shelley and Tonga, but nuts thing is oh Tomlinson and Peterson, we had them last year and we still sucked so...  not sure either one are worth the money they got.  Tomlinson I thought would be a far bigger force than he was especially switching back to a 3/4.   Would be nice to get Tonga back because he is cheap and finding a better NT in the draft would not be easy. 

Would love Mazi Smith but doubt we get a chance at him, and Benton I would love also but again doubt he is around in the 3rd.  Maybe they could wait a bit and get Durden or Coburn as a NT or real late and get Jeffery Johnson who has potential.  

• Like 1

Great news to hear today!  I think Flores is a smart guy for passing on the Cards HC job . . . Sometimes, not taking a job for its title is the best decision in the world at that moment.  

Now, onto business!  LBs are his specialty, right?  I'm guessing it'd be refreshing to see Von Miller type impact from somebody -- preferably Hunter.  I'm very interested to see if Kendricks and Hicks will be moved in lieu of Z. Smith.   

Can't wait to see his version of Vince Wilfork . . . Norse style!

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Tonga is 99% back as he’s an exclusive rights free agent. 

and honestly, if they don’t do anything with the NT, he’s probably starting nose with how he played last year. 

That does help a ton but they still will need a DE who can get some pass rush and hold his own.  

So then CB is totally the need, and for example with the Patriots (yes Flores has not been with them for some time now) but the Patriots have arguably 5 corners on their roster last year who could play slot corner if asked and 3 of those 5 could do it very well.  Vikings had zero basically all season long so versatility at DB is key.  Hell Phillips and maybe Peppers in a LB role could play in the slot as well and they are safeties on the Patriots.  Hopefully Cine can provide some of that versatility or they use Bynum more as a CB or slot CB if need be.  

It is just great to get some attitude and toughness on this coaching staff, love the hire.  Wanted him as the HC last year and will settle for DC even if he is only here a year or two.  

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

So. Much. Angst.

Now we can get back to blaming Kirk for all the issues with the team.

Eh, the criticism is usually justified.  I haven’t seen anyone here complain about his play in 2022, or that he is the sole reason that their season ended. Maybe I missed it. Where are all the people blaming Kirk for everything? I’ve only seen viable discussion regarding his contract, and his age, and our obvious need to obtain a young QB to groom behind him.  

I do mostly lurk though.  So maybe I missed someone blaming Cousins for everything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Eh, the criticism is usually justified.  I haven’t seen anyone here complain about his play in 2022, or that he is the sole reason that their season ended. Maybe I missed it. Where are all the people blaming Kirk for everything? I’ve only seen viable discussion regarding his contract, and his age, and our obvious need to obtain a young QB to groom behind him.  

I do mostly lurk though.  So maybe I missed someone blaming Cousins for everything. 

It's a trope we had to put up with for years here, over and over and over, and in most every topic thread, even ones that had nothing to do with QB'ing.

So, one of the effects of us getting hammered over and over, is that those who do it to us then have to face us echoing it back.

Its a loose use of words, skin to something like the Vikings played it too cute and lost. Again.

They may not be accurate statements, but they were said, and had effect.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

They have to move on from Z. Smith. Two years in a row now with injuries. Unless it’s a very team friendly  Think you may have to roll with Wonnum and Jones. 

Nope. Even injured he was in the top tier for pressures and hits. It doesn’t matter how fast you get to the QB it guys are open at the snap.

Extend him and spread the money out. He’s a perfect fit in a Flores defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

@SteelKing728: "Its going to be Pettine. I can feel it with my soul."

how would you like your crow served, soulman?

See? maybe you can drop this faux woe is me, it sucks to be a Vikings fan schtik. it really doesn't work for you.

just trying to help.

I already said i jinxed it. I love this move. Flores was my #1 guy. He's the best man for the job, and even if he doesn't stay for 2 years for us to collect draft picks, that's okay because it means we were seriously good in 2023.

I love this move and I'm happy for Flores.

• Like 1