Brian Flores Hired as Defensive Coordinator

battle2heaven

6 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Cam Sutton personally I believe isn’t that bad, but to bring him in seems like an overpay compared to what he could get on the D Line. Sutton is good, but we will pay him as a top CB.

I think Sutton fits just for the fact he's played a lot of slot snaps. Right now, that's probably the biggest hole in the secondary; and where the Vikings was exploited over and over again in the 2022 season.

• Like 1

I am really excited about the Flores hire!  He would've been my choice all along, but I really thought he'd be named HC of the Cards.  While a great, great hire for the Vikings, it's another indication of just how dysfunctional Arizona is.  Regardless, I'm very happy this morning.

I hope the Vikings re-sign Duke Shelley.  He showed me that he is likely to excel in man coverage, and I think his personality would mesh with Flores and produce on the field.  I wonder if Flores can get Kendricks to return to form?  Kendricks type of play just didn't fit in last seasons' defense.  If Kendricks could return to close to what he was before, all the better.  However, the teams' cap situation may not allow for it, unless his contract can be reworked.

7 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Also…. Harrison Smith isn’t going anywhere anymore… 

I was never truly concerned about him potentially going anywhere, despite all the chatter.  He clearly was used improperly by Donatell's scheme (as was Kendricks).  He definitely won't be going anywhere now however, because he does exactly what Flores likes to do.  We'll just have to see how this hire impacts all the other veterans.  

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I was never truly concerned about him potentially going anywhere, despite all the chatter.  He clearly was used improperly by Donatell's scheme (as was Kendricks).  He definitely won't be going anywhere now however, because he does exactly what Flores likes to do.  We'll just have to see how this hire impacts all the other veterans.  

My biggest concern with Smith was that he would refuse to rework his contract because of how poorly he was used last year, and if they had hired a DC with the same idea in mind, he’d “force” them to cut him. 

But with Flores, and Flores’ scheme, I’m no longer concerned with Smith feeling out of place. Now, the concern is whether he and the team can find common ground on his value. 

• Like 1

I slept so well last night. They locked up Flores a lot faster than I thought possible.

This D could finally get efficiently aggressive again, assuming the right players are targeted in the draft and FA. The Vikes are likely to invest some real resources into CB, ILB, and 5T. After a season of being utilized poorly, Hitman could really feast in '23, assuming they can adjust his cap hit. I think every effort will be made to keep Za'Darius. Kendricks is a big question mark for me. It's hard to tell if he lost a step, or was just plain lost.

This is a great start to the offseason.

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I think Sutton fits just for the fact he's played a lot of slot snaps. Right now, that's probably the biggest hole in the secondary; and where the Vikings was exploited over and over again in the 2022 season.

There is no doubt I agree with it being a massive hole. 

The one other end of the spectrum I guess I never really thought of after doing a dive into Flores is the actually amount he really is in a dime sort of package. 

I'd rather rip the bandaid off and move on from Kendricks and Hicks, and not resign Peterson. If they could end up resigning Tomlinson, draft Ika and Campbell, and go after Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams in FA, I think the defense could make a bigger improvement than we're expecting even now. Roll with Tomlinson, Phillips, Otomewo, Tonga, and Ika as the interior DL rotation. Keep Hunter, Z, Wonnum, and Jones on the edge. LB depth will be young and thin, and you'd be relying on a lot of growth from the young DBs, but I think that's enough to make a big jump in productivity. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'd rather rip the bandaid off and move on from Kendricks and Hicks, and not resign Peterson. If they could end up resigning Tomlinson, draft Ika and Campbell, and go after Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams in FA, I think the defense could make a bigger improvement than we're expecting even now. Roll with Tomlinson, Phillips, Otomewo, Tonga, and Ika as the interior DL rotation. Keep Hunter, Z, Wonnum, and Jones on the edge. LB depth will be young and thin, and you'd be relying on a lot of growth from the young DBs, but I think that's enough to make a big jump in productivity. 

american horror story tate GIF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

I slept so well last night. They locked up Flores a lot faster than I thought possible.

This D could finally get efficiently aggressive again, assuming the right players are targeted in the draft and FA. The Vikes are likely to invest some real resources into CB, ILB, and 5T. After a season of being utilized poorly, Hitman could really feast in '23, assuming they can adjust his cap hit. I think every effort will be made to keep Za'Darius. Kendricks is a big question mark for me. It's hard to tell if he lost a step, or was just plain lost.

This is a great start to the offseason.

I think Kendricks was just plain lost.  Unlike Semper and JD, I'm not in favor of letting him go.  I think if you have the right people in front of him, he's still the same player he has been in the past.  Hicks, sure, let him go.  He didn't impress me in the least.  I think they have to let Tomlinson go, though.  And I'm okay with that.  While he's a nice player, I've never been overly impressed with him, whether in the 3-4 or 4-3.  He's just okay to me and he'll likely make a lot more money in the FA market than he'd make here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think Kendricks was just plain lost.  Unlike Semper and JD, I'm not in favor of letting him go.  I think if you have the right people in front of him, he's still the same player he has been in the past.  Hicks, sure, let him go.  He didn't impress me in the least.  I think they have to let Tomlinson go, though.  And I'm okay with that.  While he's a nice player, I've never been overly impressed with him, whether in the 3-4 or 4-3.  He's just okay to me and he'll likely make a lot more money in the FA market than he'd make here.

I can't believe that anyone watched last year and thought that it'd be better to hold on to Kendricks long term over Tomlinson. Tomlinson will be younger, cheaper, and was the best defensive player on the team for long stretches. Kendricks was clearly slowing down, and I don't think he's a fit in an odd man front. You could basically use the cap savings from cutting Kendricks to pay Tomlinson this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Morlee said:

Really just hoping that they resign Duke Shelley.  I don’t care who Flores gets rid of.  There’s no one in that defense that deserves a reserved position. 

Well I mean, Hunter probably should be kept. He’s a helluva player and I just don’t see any trade scenario where we are truly getting the “bang for the buck”.