Brian Flores Hired as Defensive Coordinator

battle2heaven

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think Kendricks was just plain lost.  Unlike Semper and JD, I'm not in favor of letting him go.  I think if you have the right people in front of him, he's still the same player he has been in the past.  Hicks, sure, let him go.  He didn't impress me in the least.  I think they have to let Tomlinson go, though.  And I'm okay with that.  While he's a nice player, I've never been overly impressed with him, whether in the 3-4 or 4-3.  He's just okay to me and he'll likely make a lot more money in the FA market than he'd make here.

Kendricks is not the same player.  You shouldn’t have to build around him to make him just average. I personally hope they get rid of all the overpaid veterans on defense. You can’t have emotional attachment dictate future football moves. At least, that seems to be where you’re coming from. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well I mean, Hunter probably should be kept. He’s a helluva player and I just don’t see any trade scenario where we are truly getting the “bang for the buck”.

I agree.  Unless they get a haul that they can’t refuse, I wouldn’t trade him but he is like the only one tbh 

• Like 1

is there anyone on the roster that clearly just doesn’t fit into what we are going to need them to be? Really the only one I’m seeing is Bynum, but you do have Cine. 

I was never really dove too deep into Evan’s, is he more of the Zone type corner, how did he do in more man coverages during his college years?

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I was never really dove too deep into Evan’s, is he more of the Zone type corner, how did he do in more man coverages during his college years?

Can be physical at the line, but doesn't have the fluidity or make up speed to recover if he doesn't win. He's definitely better suited to zone, and it showed when he played last year.

10 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Kendricks is not the same player.  You shouldn’t have to build around him to make him just average. I personally hope they get rid of all the overpaid veterans on defense. You can’t have emotional attachment dictate future football moves. At least, that seems to be where you’re coming from. 

I don't deny the emotional attachment, but I watched him a lot last year and he just seemed to be plain lost.  All ILBs rely on the players in front of them to be successful, him possibly even slightly moreso of his size.  When he has the proper DL in front of him, he's not average as you seem to believe he is...he's better than average.  And that's worth it to me.  I'm not in favor of jettisoning both starting LBs, because then you have completely green LBs.  That's not a recipe for success as far as I'm concerned.  I'm certainly fine with starting Asamoah, as he deserves it, but then who would you have starting on the other side of him?  Dye, Kwenkeu? Some random free agent?  No thank you. 

Devin Bush was brought up, since he played for Flores last year?  He wasn't very good playing for Flores...in fact, he was worse for Flores than Kendricks was under Donatell. 

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I don't deny the emotional attachment, but I watched him a lot last year and he just seemed to be plain lost.  All ILBs rely on the players in front of them to be successful, him possibly even slightly moreso of his size.  When he has the proper DL in front of him, he's not average as you seem to believe he is...he's better than average.  And that's worth it to me.  I'm not in favor of jettisoning both starting LBs, because then you have completely green LBs.  That's not a recipe for success as far as I'm concerned.  I'm certainly fine with starting Asamoah, as he deserves it, but then who would you have starting on the other side of him?  Dye, Kwenkeu? Some random free agent?  No thank you. 

Devin Bush was brought up, since he played for Flores last year?  He wasn't very good playing for Flores...in fact, he was worse for Flores than Kendricks was under Donatell. 

I think it's more than being lost. He was TERRIBLE wrapping up the ball carrier, and was getting beat all over the field when we've been so used to seeing him break up passes. He's been one of my favorite Vikings, and I don't buy all of the "soft" talk that inevitably comes up on this site every year, but he's not ever going to be 2019 Kendricks again, and that's what his contract is paying him. He's either gotta take a massive pay cut or he's gotta walk. A 31 year old finesse ILB in a 3-4 scheme can't make $10m on a defense desperate for talent, imo.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Kendricks has been an amazing Viking and I loved him ever since the Vikings drafted him in the 2nd round. I remember exactly where I was when I saw the notice come through too (dinner at a italian/pizza shop with my then fiance when I got the alert on my phone).

But all good things come to an end. He lived off his athleticism and that is what made him special. The elite athleticism is no longer there.

It's time Swede, it's time....

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2

You may think I'm just dying on a hill that I can't win.  That's fine.  We'll see what happens.  I was the sole person here defending him early in his career when most, if not all, thought he should never even get a second contract.  Until I see him in a non-Donatell scheme which put him in positions where he shouldn't have been next to players who also weren't in the right position leaving gaping holes in the middle of the field, I'm going to insist that the athleticism is still there.  It was still there in 2021...while I know going from 29 to 30 there is a difference, it's not possible that there is that much difference.

Either way, I'm only talking about having him around the next year, 2 at the most.  They need his veteran knowledge in the LB room during this transition, especially for Asamoah, who is basically the same player.     

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Any guesses on the defensive staff? Who might come with him, who could stay?

I am predicting that they will find a spot/title for Josh Boyer, and that may make someone like Daronte Jones or Roy Anderson expendable. Although, there have been some indications that they really like Jones, and he may be a DC candidate in waiting. 

I think Chris Rumph is the most likely to be moving on. He was brought in because of his working familiarity with the Fangio system, which they are no longer going to run. If Evero poaches some coaches from Denver, and Denver hires Desai, I could see Rumph reuniting with Desai. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Was it? 

There was a clear and significant decline in his play in 2021, too. 

If you use PFF, he actually graded higher this year than he did last year. He fell off a cliff in '21. I was hoping it was just the Zimmer effect, but he's lost a lot of what made him great.