Brian Flores Hired as Defensive Coordinator

battle2heaven

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I agree on the guys you mention, though I could be talked into keeping Peterson. 

Peterson needs to play in zone at this stage of his career. When he played at the line or was forced to match receivers (Lions, Packers games) he got beat a bunch.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Peterson needs to play in zone at this stage of his career. When he played at the line or was forced to match receivers (Lions, Packers games) he got beat a bunch.

Oh, I'd have to be talked into it......I'm not in favor it right now, but I'm open to listening. Not so much on Thielen or Cook (I guess if Cook to a massive pay cut, I'd listen, but I'd rather deal Cook and a fourth ...do they have a fourth....for a third, for example).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

So he needs to beef up and maybe get some more developmental hours in. Gotcha😎😜

We have no idea what he can do, but he was pretty darn good in college and is/was very athletic. I hope he gets back out there and is awesome (as much for him as us fans).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

We have no idea what he can do, but he was pretty darn good in college and is/was very athletic. I hope he gets back out there and is awesome (as much for him as us fans).

This is true. That said, our top draft picks in Cine, Booth and Asamoah, all played with a sort of reckless abandonment with their college tape that garnered a lot of fans. 

I think that fits Flores' scheme way better. Flores can unleash their aggressiveness. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

This is true. That said, our top draft picks in Cine, Booth and Asamoah, all played with a sort of reckless abandonment with their college tape that garnered a lot of fans. 

I think that fits Flores' scheme way better. Flores can unleash their aggressiveness. 

I am very much looking forward to Asamoah in this defense. He should have played a lot more last year, given Hicks' performance....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm curious about why you are so low on Tomlinson. The stance on both players doesn't match what they did on the field at all, and that's over 2 seasons. I'd argue that while Tomlinson was on the field, we was the most consistently good player on that side of the ball.

If Kendricks would come back at ~4m, I'd be ok seeing if he could fill a rotational spot and be a veteran leader. The odds of that are basically zero, so it's time to move on.

I believe Tomlinson is a good player, but his impact on our defense hasn't been enough to warrant what it would cost to retain him.  There certainly was an impact on the run defense without him, but it wasn't really good with him, so to me, it's simply a "diminishing returns" situation (which I imagine some could use in the Kendricks situation as well) and not worth the investment.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I believe Tomlinson is a good player, but his impact on our defense hasn't been enough to warrant what it would cost to retain him.  There certainly was an impact on the run defense without him, but it wasn't really good with him, so to me, it's simply a "diminishing returns" situation (which I imagine some could use in the Kendricks situation as well) and not worth the investment.    

Fair enough. I disagree with you, but that's ok.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morlee said:

Anyone excited about Cine or Booth Jr?  A lot of fans seem to already categorize those two as wasted picks. I’m close to doing that myself.  I thought Cine not playing early was Donatell’s fault, since he was pretty terrible overall. But the more I think about it, the more uncertain I am. 

As for Booth Jr., I mean, Evans and Dantzler were more impressive. And if he can’t overcome injuries (as he’s had since college) then he was a waste too. Only CB worth resigning and keeping is Shelley. May need to get a bit stronger because he can’t alter his height, but I became a big fan of his. 

How about maybe seeing if they play and are healthy in THEIR SECOND SEASONS before labeling them busts?

CB is the 2nd hardest position to transition to in the pros, and Booth was hardly healthy. Cine had a freak injury. 

They may end up being busts. But there is absolutely no way to adjudicate them as such based on 2022.

• Like 6

Quick question, was Brian Flores ever considered for the 49ers DC position or interviewed for it?  

Steve Wilks got it and good for him, but I would say the 49ers are closer to a Super Bowl win than the Vikings, and to me Flores is by far the better DC or HC for that matter than Wilks.  So were the 49ers not interested in Flores?

Either way great the Vikings were able to get him, he was right in line with Fangio as the best DC available, Fangio might get a slight nod but not in terms of his long term potential because obviously Flores is still a young and up and coming coach.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Quick question, was Brian Flores ever considered for the 49ers DC position or interviewed for it? 

Not that was ever reported. 

Flores interviewed with the Vikings and Falcons, for sure, for their open DC jobs. The Browns requested an interview, but it’s unclear if an interview took place. They hired Schwartz pretty quick.

He interviewed for the Arizona HC job, and supposedly had an interview scheduled for today with Denver for their open DC job, but yesterday he informed both the Cardinals and Broncos that he was accepting the Vikings job. 

• Like 1