Tim Kelly named Offensive Coordinator, Charles London also hired

titans0021

Ehhh I expected Kelly but was hoping something not titan like and making an outside hire.

If Kelly wasn’t here last year I don’t think we’d be mad about it.. he did do good with the Texans so I ain’t too mad. If it’s true about him doin the scripted plays then we’re in good hands since that’s the only time our offense looked good. I’m intrigued by the London hire 

5 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Ehhh I expected Kelly but was hoping something not titan like and making an outside hire.

If Kelly wasn’t here last year I don’t think we’d be mad about it.. he did do good with the Texans so I ain’t too mad. If it’s true about him doin the scripted plays then we’re in good hands since that’s the only time our offense looked good. I’m intrigued by the London hire 

And to be fair Vrabel wanted Kelly before he hired Todd but the Texans denied the interview 

11 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

The OL coach pisses me off more than anything? Our biggest issue on the team and that’s who we hire?

Let’s wait & see how the OL performs remember how you felt when we hired art as a OC, a inexperienced TE coach. I feel ya though just be positive 

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

yeah ryan tannehill made us smash henry up the middle all day vs the ravens in the 2020-2021 playoffs to the tune of 2 yards per carry

so then it was Vrabel and not the generally loved/appreciated Art Smith? On the offense that scored 30 ppg for fourth in the league that year?

You're cherry picking games.

Point is, when "Vrabel's" offense actually has talent on it, it tends to work. What I 100% agree w/ is the idea that this team relies too much on Henry and, if a team stops him, we're relying on Tannehill to carry the load and majority of the time he's incapable of doing so. We're a team that's limited by its QB, but somehow has managed winning seasons (and a 1 seed) in every year of the Vrabel era before this one. Something is clearly working in one way or another, but the warts show up in the postseason because that's where you need a legit QB to win games. Our QB lost ours against Cincy.

Winning in the trenches and ball control will win you games in this league more often than not. When you're not doing either -- and you don't have a QB who can overcome that -- that's when you lose. Whether you have Todd Downing or Andy Reid calling the plays.

I was hoping we'd somehow pry a guy from KC, just due to pedigree alone. But it's not like Nagy wasn't despised in Chicago and trashed for his playcalling and forcing round pegs into square holes. Here's the reality -- Bears had a bad QB and bad talent on offense.

The common denominator in the league is having a real QB. Kelly won a lot of games as OC with a real QB. I'm not excited about the hire, but that's the single most important thing this is all going to come down to.

17 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Arguably the biggest criticism of Ryan Tannehill is that he needs good talent around him to succeed. For a whole coaching philosophy to be based around needing good receivers, a good offensive line, an elite RB and an incredibly efficient QB to succeed seems significantly worse?

But yes, it’s shown it can work. If everything is perfect, Vrabel’s ultra conservative offense can function great, especially if he has a good play caller. Until we get to playoffs and slam Derrick up the middle for two yards a pop and force our QB into predictable passing downs with plays designed for Chester Rogers and Nick Westbrook.

this all reads like a GM/personnel management issue to me

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

so then it was Vrabel and not the generally loved/appreciated Art Smith? On the offense that scored 30 ppg for fourth in the league that year?

You're cherry picking games.

Point is, when "Vrabel's" offense actually has talent on it, it tends to work. What I 100% agree w/ is the idea that this team relies too much on Henry and, if a team stops him, we're relying on Tannehill to carry the load and majority of the time he's incapable of doing so. We're a team that's limited by its QB, but somehow has managed winning seasons (and a 1 seed) in every year of the Vrabel era before this one. Something is clearly working in one way or another, but the warts show up in the postseason because that's where you need a legit QB to win games. Our QB lost ours against Cincy.

Winning in the trenches and ball control will win you games in this league more often than not. When you're not doing either -- and you don't have a QB who can overcome that -- that's when you lose. Whether you have Todd Downing or Andy Reid calling the plays.

I was hoping we'd somehow pry a guy from KC, just due to pedigree alone. But it's not like Nagy wasn't despised in Chicago and trashed for his playcalling and forcing round pegs into square holes. Here's the reality -- Bears had a bad QB and bad talent on offense.

The common denominator in the league is having a real QB. Kelly won a lot of games as OC with a real QB. I'm not excited about the hire, but that's the single most important thing this is all going to come down to.

thickheaded overreliance on the run game has been so consistent across 3 offensive coordinators through vrabel's entire tenure that the buck can only stop at him. that shouldn't even be controversial at this point. art was a good enough playcaller to make it work, but the limitations were still obvious.

absolute lol that when i discuss our overall playoff underperformance i'm cherrypicking games, but when you use the exact same set of games to make a point about ryan tannehill it's totally fine.

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

this all reads like a GM/personnel management issue to me

jon robinson made us call early down runs at the highest rate in football and not target specific players enough? damn, definitely a good thing we fired him then, no GM should have on-field coaching powers

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

The anger at the hire is essentially the same as people wanting to replace Ryan Tannehill.

Fans don't want better, or to even think about whether or not a replacement is better, they just want it to be different.

everyone is in agreement that tim kelly is probably better than todd downing. do you think "better than todd downing" should be the bar we are trying to clear here, or should we perhaps aim a tiny bit higher?

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

everyone is in agreement that tim kelly is probably better than todd downing. do you think "better than todd downing" should be the bar we are trying to clear here, or should we perhaps aim a tiny bit higher?

I agree that we should get the best person for the job possible.

I don't think that necessarily means "just someone who wasn't here last year" or that it means anyone who was here last year isn't the best person for the job.

Who are the alternatives and how do their qualifications stand up outside of what talk shows say about these people? 

Matt Nagy? Eric Bieniemy?

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

thickheaded overreliance on the run game has been so consistent across 3 offensive coordinators through vrabel's entire tenure that the buck can only stop at him. that shouldn't even be controversial at this point. art was a good enough playcaller to make it work, but the limitations were still obvious.

absolute lol that when i discuss our overall playoff underperformance i'm cherrypicking games, but when you use the exact same set of games to make a point about ryan tannehill it's totally fine.

my point on Tannehill is that he's not good enough to win us games when the run game gets stonewalled, rather than totally indict "Vrabel's offense". Like I said and have always said, don't disagree in the slightest that we lean on the run too much. But I also know we don't have a QB who can drop back 40x a game and lead us to victory.

who's the magical coach that'll come in and fix all that?

To play devils advocate here, would EB or Nagy be much better than Kelly? EB hasn’t called plays and Nagys offense wasn’t that inspiring in Chicago. I get wanting an outside hire but I don’t think our offense will change much with vrabel as HC as far as playstyle. As long as Kelly isn’t predictable and we can score more then 17 points it’s a good start

I don't think our offense is going to change that much with Ryan Tannehill at QB.

This is what he's good at. When consistently asked to make full-field reads he has let us down. 

Downing was just an atrocious play-caller who consistently failed to take advantage of the attention teams paid to our run game.

12 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

jon robinson made us call early down runs at the highest rate in football and not target specific players enough? damn, definitely a good thing we fired him then, no GM should have on-field coaching powers

what specific players weren't targeted enough? 

Last year, AJ was targeted more times per game than guys like Chase, Metcalf, McLaurin, Deebo, and Mike Evans. 

Believe Chig led all rookie TEs in yards this year and was fourth in targets among rookie TEs

Original point to @titans0021's post was that Rogers/NWI are guys who should never even be on the field, but lack of depth required it. This year is an even more egregious example in roster management.