Switching Daycares: Any Tips?

Long story short, the people/group/school that currently watch our kids dont follow the guidelines within their own rulebook

ie: They dont send certain kids home(not all just certain families are given this "privilege") for vomiting multiple times and then my kid gets sick and misses several days of school because of the school and parents negligence.

Has anyone had to switch schools/daycares mid-year? My 15 month old is the one that keeps getting screwed by their negligence but I also have a 4 year old that loves that place and has friends but cant in good conscience send him there anymore. Any tips or tricks to ease into a new learning environment?

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Long story short, the people/group/school that currently watch our kids dont follow the guidelines within their own rulebook

ie: They dont send certain kids home(not all just certain families are given this "privilege") for vomiting multiple times and then my kid gets sick and misses several days of school because of the school and parents negligence.

Has anyone had to switch schools/daycares mid-year? My 15 month old is the one that keeps getting screwed by their negligence but I also have a 4 year old that loves that place and has friends but cant in good conscience send him there anymore. Any tips or tricks to ease into a new learning environment?

Well, you're unlikely to find somewhere that can take them immediately, at least in my experience. But as you look around, take the kid with you if you visit somewhere, maybe not the first visit but on subsequent one(s). Get them used to the idea of a new place, and with the four year old talk about it with them. Frame it as something exciting and new for them to try. When my kids daycare was closing down, that is how we did it. Granted, it helped that it was closing down so the daycare provider was also setting the kids up to succeed on a transition. But talk about it regularly with your kid during the process is the big thing so it doesn't feel like a surprise to them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I can understand the frustration but I have to wonder where you're going to send them where they won't be getting sick?  My 3 year old is sick every other week.  

I’m sure the issue is that there’s favoritism and people not following guidelines more than just getting sick, but the end result will be the same.

People don’t send their kids to daycare for no reason, they do it to work or sleep after work.  They will continue to send them even if they’re sick because they don’t have an alternative.  If they did, they wouldn’t be paying out the arse for daycare.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sure the issue is that there’s favoritism and people not following guidelines more than just getting sick, but the end result will be the same.

People don’t send their kids to daycare for no reason, they do it to work or sleep after work.  They will continue to send them even if they’re sick because they don’t have an alternative.  If they did, they wouldn’t be paying out the arse for daycare.

They often don't show clear signs of illness often, until they're at daycare, as well.  I've had to pick my toddler up early multiple times from her either getting a fever or vomiting' at daycare, after a snack/lunch or a nap, but in the small window between her waking up and getting her fed and out the door to daycare, on our way to work, she seems fine.   My wife and her have never knowingly sent her to daycare sick, but the optics of that can be different to a parent who has a kid in her class. The teacher has to tell a parent that so-and-so was sick today, so watch for symptoms with their own kid.  Young kids seem to get pick up a bug and beat it in such a shorter window, and with much greater frequency than adults, while also not being able to communicate that something is off.  There is a lot of nuisance to daycare and a sick child, that goes beyond the obvious don't sent your child to daycare sick, for your own convenience type scenarios.

• Like 1