2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: Starting NT

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting NT?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting NT?

• Start Harrison Phillips at NT
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting NT
    • Promote Khyiris Tonga
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Now that we have the new DC in Brian Flores in place, I'd like to gauge people's opinions on how the Vikings should address various positions on the team...obviously, this will probably be heavy on the defensive side of the ball since that seems to have the most glaring holes.  We'll start on that side of the ball on the line and work our way out, with what I believe is the most important position on the defensive line in a 3-4, the nose tackle. 

2022 depth at the position: Harrison Phillips (really should be DE on size, but listed as NT), Khyiris Tonga

2023 Outgoing Free Agents: Khyiris Tonga (ERFA)

Potential Free Agents Available: Da'Ron Payne, Derrick Nnadi, Ndamukong Suh, Linval "Hungry" Joseph, Johnathan Hankins, Justin Elliss, John Jenkins

Potential Draftees: Mazi Smith, Gervon Dexter, Siaki Ika, Keeanu Benton, Keondre Coburn, Robert Cooper, PJ Mustipher, Jacob Slade

If Flores' plan is to start Phillips at one of the 4i spots in the Tite front I would head into the draft with Tonga as the penciled in starter. If a better option presents itself go ahead and draft them. Tonga has definitely earned the right to come in and compete for a starting role.

• Like 5

Baylor defensive tackle Siaki Ika projects as a versatile nose tackle at the NFL level. “Apu” Ika is predominantly an A-gap defender with delightful mobility for his stature, allowing him to flash as both a penetration player and as a space-eater in the heart of the defense. Ika’s ceiling is that of a starting nose tackle and his valuation will likely reflect that for better and for worse.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/siaki-ika-390892f6-a3a8-4f84-82b4-76ca9ea64c38/

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

Can make the impressive chest-to-chest bear hug tackle in the hole due to his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield.

Ika has heavy hands and uses them aggressively, rocking offensive linemen back. He shows the ability to disengage and out-grapple blockers in a phone booth.

Despite a bowling-ball build, Ika has good feet and agility, capable of working laterally down the line of scrimmage in pursuit.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES

Ika doesn’t have a lot of suddenness to his game, and Ika won’t wreck plays on a regular basis.

Doesn't play fundamentally sound and lacks much technique in his repertoire.

Ika is a bit underpowered, often playing too high and struggling to hold the point of attack against double teams.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Siaki-Ika-NT-LSU

It should be noticed that he was at LSU while JJ was there.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Where these this year or last year?  Because this past year he was not nearly as productive it seemed.  For a NT to be a 1st rounder I would think he would need to make much more of an impact than he did.  Take Jordan Davis for example, he was super productive and impactful his last year, was his best season of his career oh and he ran a 4.78 40 at 341 with a 32" vertical.  No way Ika can do the same thing but if he does sure he could be in the conversation.  

I had Ika as a 1st rounder to start the year then moved him to the 2nd round because the times I watched him he was not nearly as impactful, but sure would be great to get a solid DL for a crazy weak Vikings DL but not sure that is more needed than a CB who can freaking move and cover in the slot.  

I would rather wait and get a guy later in the draft for a NT in maybe Durden, Dale or Coburn or even Jeffrey Johnson.  

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d look to the draft.

Ika right now is my top option for #23, but if not him there are others who at the very least would be good rotational players with Tonga. 

I would not hate that but why draft a starting NT instead of a starting C?  Assuming they have Tonga, and unless they sign Bradbury they pretty much have no other center.  

I would almost rather get a solid DE since Tomlinson is most likely gone and draft one of those guys than get a NT because not sure Ika is worth that high of a pick unless he works out great.  Same with Mazi Smith, and Ika did have a poor season this past year honestly, was not nearly as productive or impactful for some reason.  Benton on Wisconsin I would like in the 2nd but we have no 2nd round pick.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would not hate that but why draft a starting NT instead of a starting C?  Assuming they have Tonga, and unless they sign Bradbury they pretty much have no other center.  

They have other options at C should they not re-sign Bradbury...but we can get into that when I cover that position.  

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

This might be a spot where you just go with Tonga and stick a cheaper vet behind him. Can’t upgrade every spot at once and I didn’t think Tonga was the issue. 

Tonga wasn't an issue, but he wasn't a solution either.  Anyone who was in the NT position wasn't really doing a good enough job getting push up the middle.    

Just now, swede700 said:

Tonga wasn't an issue, but he wasn't a solution either.  Anyone who was in the NT position wasn't really doing a good enough job getting push up the middle.    

I disagree. He was actually doing a great job and was often let down by the lack of 5T depth and leaving Z and Hunter out in space more often than they should ever be. he finished the year with a high 70s PFF grade, and he popped off of the screen in most games he played. A Tonga, Tomlinson, Phillips starting interior with a more aggressive scheme has the potential to be vastly better than what we watched last year. The ILBs couldn't/didn't do their jobs behind him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Will experience help? Isn’t NT a fairly difficult position to find an immediate contributor given some of the physical differences in college vs professional OL? Always thought that position struggled more out of the gates than most but could be way off on that one.  

• Like 1