Gabriel: Fox was forced on Pace

WindyCity

If Fox gets let go, Ryan Pace gets a pass on the hire. That was a Ernie Accorsi, George McCaskey hire

Both jobs. Heavily involved in the interview process. Basically Pace was told that was the coach

Both jobs. Heavily involved in the interview process. Basically Pace was told that was the coach

57 minutes ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

I thought this was already common knowledge. I don't think anything will change till the Bears are out of the McCaskey's control.

Not disagreeing because I think you’re right, but why would that ever happen? It’s a family business and they’re making money hand over fist. This is what they do, even if they do it poorly. What’s their incentive to sell? 

51 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I really don’t care who picked Fox. First off, it’s water under the bridge now, and it made sense at the time.

The fit has always been weird seeing as how Pace’s background was with a team run on the field completely the opposite of the way Fox wants to do things, specifically in terms of offensive philosophy. Fox is more than happy to try to win 17-14 every week. That could not be more anti-Saints. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

The fit has always been weird seeing as how Pace’s background was with a team run on the field completely the opposite of the way Fox wants to do things, specifically in terms of offensive philosophy. Fox is more than happy to try to win 17-14 every week. That could not be more anti-Saints. 

That's right, they try to win 37-34 every week. lol

Really the more I see what Pace has done and is from, the more sense Lafleur and Reich make. Both tend to get pass happy, but attack defenses and spread the ball around. Lafleuer does more dink and dunk work though, and Goff does not hit all levels of the field nearly as much as Wentz, probably being one of the less aggressive but more efficient passers this year. Reich's offense is FAR more vertical and Wentz is probably the most aggressive passer in the NFL (or close to it).

Lafleur is younger but has more coaching experience than Reich, so it will be interesting to see if that plays a role in who Pace would try to pursue (assuming Fox is fired).

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That's right, they try to win 37-34 every week. lol

Really the more I see what Pace has done and is from, the more sense Lafleur and Reich make. Both tend to get pass happy, but attack defenses and spread the ball around. Lafleuer does more dink and dunk work though, and Goff does not hit all levels of the field nearly as much as Wentz, probably being one of the less aggressive but more efficient passers this year. Reich's offense is FAR more vertical and Wentz is probably the most aggressive passer in the NFL (or close to it).

Lafleur is younger but has more coaching experience than Reich, so it will be interesting to see if that plays a role in who Pace would try to pursue (assuming Fox is fired).

The current passing game pieces we have that are likely to stay behind 2017 (Shaheen, Meredith & Inman) are all big receivers making me think the vertical passing game of Reich may be a better fit. And FWIW the top FA options at WR (Adams, Watkins, Robinson) are also all good deep threats. To my recollection Mitch was the best deep ball passer coming out too. 

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

I really don’t care who picked Fox. First off, it’s water under the bridge now, and it made sense at the time.

If Pace truly wasn't able to not have the final say on Fox, then that sucks, as it wasn't really fair to Pace. But I agree the hire wasn't a bad one when it was made. Fox wasn't really tainted goods. Although he sure as hell is now. 

Archived