2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: Starting C

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting C?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting C?

• Re-sign Garrett Bradbury
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting C
    • Re-sign and promote Austin Schlottman
    • Promote Chris Reed
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Wes Schweitzer is about to be a free agent, leading to natural speculation about a replacement. One buzzy idea: The Washington Commanders could look to draft standout Minnesota center John Michael Schmitz. Schweitzer, the Commanders’ starting center last season, is now an unrestricted free agent, leaving the door open for the team to draft his heir.

According to Pro Football Focus, Schmitz only allowed two sacks and eight pressures during the 2022 season. In addition to his pass protection, Schmitz was also PFF’s highest-graded college offensive lineman, recording the highest run-blocking grade (of OL to have played at least 20 percent of their team’s snaps).

Measuring in at 6-4 320 pounds, the Minnesota lineman has a strong frame and is said to be technically sound in both the run game and in pass protection. The sixth-year senior played in 57 games and started 35 at center. He was All-Big Ten for three seasons and a 2022 AP All-American.

His pass protection would be a welcome addition to the Commanders roster, given that last season, Washington's offensive line was near the bottom of PFF’s offensive line rankings largely due to their low pass-blocking efficiency. Washington opens with the No. 16 overall pick and then owns pick No. 47 in the second round.

As we near the draft, expect Schmitz to hear his name called within the first couple of rounds and, if things fall just so, to be a candidate to potentially strengthen the Commanders’ offensive line. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/commanders-center-wes-schweitzer-out-draft-washington-free-agency-minnesota-center-john-michael-schmitz-rumor?fbclid=IwAR2YvWvcrgKzqTwo6W2ZyQ7XzWZLyU60c4key1QwGMiet-73BhjRYMTGpAU

On 2/10/2023 at 9:26 AM, swede700 said:

I ended up voting for re-signing Bradbury, even though I'm not sure I'm a fan of that.  With the lack of draft picks and no real good alternatives in free agency, that seems to be the most reasonable choice.  If he prices himself out though, I'd roll with Chris Reed and look for alternatives over the next 2 years.  

How does he not price himself out of range? If there aren’t many alternative options in FA, he’s likely the best option. Which inevitably means he’s going to be the one to benefit most with an expensive contract. 

I'm surprised no one's talking about Schlottmann . . . Didn't he play well in Bradbury's absence?   If his leg is healing well, and his film supports giving him a chance, it seems pretty simple to go that route.

But, had we not retained his services, the squad would've likely lost more games.    So, drafting a C is important, very important this year -- undoubtedly needed if Bradbury leaves, which i think he does.

I'm thinking there will be a couple good prospects the Vikes could get in Rds 4 or 5.   All they gotta do is find a 320 lb guy who's smart, mobile and can bench a house.  S-I-M-P-L-E 😅

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Wes Schweitzer is about to be a free agent, leading to natural speculation about a replacement. One buzzy idea: The Washington Commanders could look to draft standout Minnesota center John Michael Schmitz. Schweitzer, the Commanders’ starting center last season, is now an unrestricted free agent, leaving the door open for the team to draft his heir.

According to Pro Football Focus, Schmitz only allowed two sacks and eight pressures during the 2022 season. In addition to his pass protection, Schmitz was also PFF’s highest-graded college offensive lineman, recording the highest run-blocking grade (of OL to have played at least 20 percent of their team’s snaps).

Measuring in at 6-4 320 pounds, the Minnesota lineman has a strong frame and is said to be technically sound in both the run game and in pass protection. The sixth-year senior played in 57 games and started 35 at center. He was All-Big Ten for three seasons and a 2022 AP All-American.

His pass protection would be a welcome addition to the Commanders roster, given that last season, Washington's offensive line was near the bottom of PFF’s offensive line rankings largely due to their low pass-blocking efficiency. Washington opens with the No. 16 overall pick and then owns pick No. 47 in the second round.

As we near the draft, expect Schmitz to hear his name called within the first couple of rounds and, if things fall just so, to be a candidate to potentially strengthen the Commanders’ offensive line. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/commanders-center-wes-schweitzer-out-draft-washington-free-agency-minnesota-center-john-michael-schmitz-rumor?fbclid=IwAR2YvWvcrgKzqTwo6W2ZyQ7XzWZLyU60c4key1QwGMiet-73BhjRYMTGpAU

That would be cool for Schmitz but Washington would be smart to trade back in the 1st and they could still get him possibly.  Schmitz is good but just that stat alone, allowed 2 sacks just last year alone where Jarrett Patterson allowed zero in his entire career playing multiple positions.  Schmitz had a better Senior bowl though and will workout better so probably deserves being the 1st center taken.  

Washington also loses Payne most likely in free agency so I have them getting Bresee at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

No he didn’t. 

Agreed that guy is nothing more than just a backup.  

I would not mind Jake Brendel bringing him in as a cheaper free agent, but 49ers could end up paying him.  Not sure the Vikings can address center in free agency and not sure Bradbury is worth some 7-10 mil a year contract either.  That is Jason Kelce money and Bradbury is not even on the same planet as he is even at 35.  

48 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm surprised no one's talking about Schlottmann . . . Didn't he play well in Bradbury's absence?   If his leg is healing well, and his film supports giving him a chance, it seems pretty simple to go that route.

But, had we not retained his services, the squad would've likely lost more games.    So, drafting a C is important, very important this year -- undoubtedly needed if Bradbury leaves, which i think he does.

I'm thinking there will be a couple good prospects the Vikes could get in Rds 4 or 5.   All they gotta do is find a 320 lb guy who's smart, mobile and can bench a house.  S-I-M-P-L-E 😅

Who would be there at center in rounds 4 or 5?  

Alex Forsyth and Juice Scruggs I have in that range, would not mind Forsyth at all but Scruggs not sure he could start instantly, Forsyth maybe could.  Still the guys in the 1st are far better than both.  

52 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That would be cool for Schmitz but Washington would be smart to trade back in the 1st and they could still get him possibly.  Schmitz is good but just that stat alone, allowed 2 sacks just last year alone where Jarrett Patterson allowed zero in his entire career playing multiple positions.  Schmitz had a better Senior bowl though and will workout better so probably deserves being the 1st center taken.  

Washington also loses Payne most likely in free agency so I have them getting Bresee at the moment. 

Agreed that guy is nothing more than just a backup.  

I would not mind Jake Brendel bringing him in as a cheaper free agent, but 49ers could end up paying him.  Not sure the Vikings can address center in free agency and not sure Bradbury is worth some 7-10 mil a year contract either.  That is Jason Kelce money and Bradbury is not even on the same planet as he is even at 35.  

Who would be there at center in rounds 4 or 5?  

Alex Forsyth and Juice Scruggs I have in that range, would not mind Forsyth at all but Scruggs not sure he could start instantly, Forsyth maybe could.  Still the guys in the 1st are far better than both.  

Truthfully, I'm not sure who'd be there . . . Maybe Tippmann slides, maybe Scruggs is there . . . Heck maybe somebody thinks a small school OG / OT proves able to handle it . . . Maybe Mauch, maybe some Ivy leaguer?  

6 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Truthfully, I'm not sure who'd be there . . . Maybe Tippmann slides, maybe Scruggs is there . . . Heck maybe somebody thinks a small school OG / OT proves able to handle it . . . Maybe Mauch, maybe some Ivy leaguer?  

Mauch?  That dude is a rock star and should be a lock 2nd round pick especially with how he plays and how versatile he is.  Not sure he can play center though, OG or OT absolutely.

As for some Wisconsin center, no thank you, sure I have heard of him but I was never super impressed with him.  He is no Tyler Biadasz who I had as a 1st rounder and is now a starter center on Dallas and has been for awhile after falling to the 4th round.  No way is Tippmann as good as Biadasz.

Sure would be great to wait for a center till the 3rd or 4th but why when one can get a good one in the 1st possibly.  Then again if Wypler falls to the 3rd that would be awesome to get him but not sure that happens.  Of the top four he is the only one that might fall a bit just because he is not as good as the other guys, and the stuff of Jarrett Patterson falling, well sure he had a poor senior bowl practice a few times but dude can play and should be gone by the 1st or worst case 2nd.  

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Mauch?  That dude is a rock star and should be a lock 2nd round pick especially with how he plays and how versatile he is.  Not sure he can play center though, OG or OT absolutely.

As for some Wisconsin center, no thank you, sure I have heard of him but I was never super impressed with him.  He is no Tyler Biadasz who I had as a 1st rounder and is now a starter center on Dallas and has been for awhile after falling to the 4th round.  No way is Tippmann as good as Biadasz.

Sure would be great to wait for a center till the 3rd or 4th but why when one can get a good one in the 1st possibly.  Then again if Wypler falls to the 3rd that would be awesome to get him but not sure that happens.  Of the top four he is the only one that might fall a bit just because he is not as good as the other guys, and the stuff of Jarrett Patterson falling, well sure he had a poor senior bowl practice a few times but dude can play and should be gone by the 1st or worst case 2nd.  

I don't profess to be a super-expert on college prospects and I think most of us on sites like this are just fans . . . Fans who don't know the character and psychological make-up of individual prospects.   We can read the reports of weigh-ins and watch games, all-star games and the combine for performance and measurable.  From there, most of us spout about our favorites, and that's all we have.

If Bradbury's gone, I'd have no heart ache if they picked Schmitz, but I'd prefer a NT or DT, maybe a LB or CB.  

Who are the small school bags that could fit?   The Old Dominion kid?   A Note Dame lineman?  As I indicated, it's the scouts and KAM who'll figure out if there's a Jeff Christy or Ryan Jensen hidden out there.  Maybe Tippmann is who they choose?   Maybe they trade Cook to Houston for their 2nd Rd pick and the Vikes get Schmitz?   Whatever happens, it'll be exciting, and I'm probably hitching my wagon!  

With the way we saw KOC's offense being ran, I imagine they will go a shift in philosophy if they go a different route over Bradbury.

Bradbury was brought in because he was theoretically, an outside zone god prospect for the run game. 

With the emphasis on the pass, the interior pressures need to be cleaned up. Vikings will probably prioritize pass protection and anchor over run blocking and 2nd level reach ability. 

In this draft, which center prospects have the best anchors?

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

With the way we saw KOC's offense being ran, I imagine they will go a shift in philosophy if they go a different route over Bradbury.

Bradbury was brought in because he was theoretically, an outside zone god prospect for the run game. 

With the emphasis on the pass, the interior pressures need to be cleaned up. Vikings will probably prioritize pass protection and anchor over run blocking and 2nd level reach ability. 

In this draft, which center prospects have the best anchors?

Schmitz would probably be at the top of that list.   Joe Tippmann as well, as we know typically how well Wisconsin OL are trained and who they recruit.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...