The Future for Chido and Lewis

DaBoys

Status of our young CBs  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Status of our young CBs

• Lewis has showed promise and Chido will be a stud. They just need time. If Brown can step it up we shouldn't have to worry about CB for years.
    • Lewis, Brown, and our whole secondary have been garbage this year, and who the hell is Chido? We need to go CB day 1 or 2 of the draft.
    • I'm lame and like riding the fence so I'll just state the obvious and say, we don't know what they will become. And because I'm extra lame I'll add that we should draft CB if he is BPA.

We drafted CBs in round 2 and 3 last year. Both considered premium picks. I didn't really know much about Chido but I loved Lewis after his senior bowl hype. Very happy to get him in round 3. Lewis has really showed some skill but has also struggled at times along with the whole roster it seems.  Inconsistency is a consistent trait among good rookies though. Chido on the other hand has hardly played, being hamstrung nearly all year. BUT he is the one most of you guys were excited for AND the one the team was most excited for being that they drafted him a round ahead of Lewis. So what gives?  What do you feel is the likely future for these young CBs?

Do you think that we will one day feature Chido and Lewis as our starters?  With Brown in the rotation? Giving us a nice young trio going forward?

Last years DB class was said to be the deepest in the last decade. Guys who were going in round 2 would normally be 1st rounders and so on... Many people here are fed up with our poor secondary play, and grumblings about using our 1st on a DB are beginning. Does drafting Lewis and Chido so high last year stop us from going CB early in next years draft? Considering we also drafted two other DBs later on last year?

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

Improving the pass rush would help.  I think a full training camp would have helped Lewis and Awuzie.

I think a whole new scheme will help. These 2 are more talented than Carr and Church and look at how much those 2 improved in a new scheme. That and a healthy off season should help as well.

13 minutes ago, Northland said:

Improving the pass rush would help.  

This seems like a reflex response, and I understand it. We have echoed this same thought for years as we have debated the importance of DBs to DEs.

It is a baseline argument that I agree with overall, but in a year where our DE is 2nd in the league in sacks, and our 3T is tied with Geno Atkins for 2nd in the league in sacks among DTs, and our team is in the top 10 in sacks as a unit for the first time since Demarcus Ware left... At what point do we say hey, we get more sacks than most teams do? Our secondary is getting more help than the par.

Our pass rush helped our secondary for most of the year. Then teams realized the refs were never gonna call holding on their OLs against us (it’s literally been 2 months). That’s why our rush has disappeared the last few weeks.

That being said, I still think our secondary is missing a true #1 CB. That might be more of a free agent  need than draft need though.

40 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

This seems like a reflex response, and I understand it. We have echoed this same thought for years as we have debated the importance of DBs to DEs.

It is a baseline argument that I agree with overall, but in a year where our DE is 2nd in the league in sacks, and our 3T is tied with Geno Atkins for 2nd in the league in sacks among DTs, and our team is in the top 10 in sacks as a unit for the first time since Demarcus Ware left... At what point do we say hey, we get more sacks than most teams do? Our secondary is getting more help than the par.

I think it is more scheme than anything. IMO our pass rush has been much better but still inconsistent. Also when facing 3rd and long and running the same vanilla/soft defense, we leave our DBs out to dry.

30 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Our pass rush helped our secondary for most of the year. Then teams realized the refs were never gonna call holding on their OLs against us (it’s literally been 2 months). That’s why our rush has disappeared the last few weeks.

That being said, I still think our secondary is missing a true #1 CB. That might be more of a free agent  need than draft need though.

It’s hard to justify, though, with both Lewis and Awuzie being rookies and Brown being a second year man. Even if Scandrick leaves, it’s still a tough sell to fans when the front seven is in such dire need of talent.

27 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

It’s hard to justify, though, with both Lewis and Awuzie being rookies and Brown being a second year man. Even if Scandrick leaves, it’s still a tough sell to fans when the front seven is in such dire need of talent.

Don’t disagree. Just feels like our back end is missing a veteran presence of some sort. Front 7 OTOH has more dead weight with dudes like Crawford, Durant, possibly Lee, but it’s hard to do much better in FA without breaking the bank, so I’d rather draft guys there. We might find ourselves in a situation soon where we can only have 2/3 of Martin, Lawrence and Irving so certainly both lines are in play.

I just worry about our DBs against taller dudes. You can’t tell me a Talib type of CB wouldnt help there, even if we’re to believe Jourdan Lewis is the next Chris Harris. That said, we have yet to see Awuzie really play and we don’t know what exactly his role will be long term, so perhaps we should reserve judgment. Right now it looks like we have a lot of needs.

10 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We drafted CBs in round 2 and 3 last year. Both considered premium picks. I didn't really know much about Chido but I loved Lewis after his senior bowl hype. Very happy to get him in round 3. Lewis has really showed some skill but has also struggled at times along with the whole roster it seems.  Inconsistency is a consistent trait among good rookies though. Chido on the other hand has hardly played, being hamstrung nearly all year. BUT he is the one most of you guys were excited for AND the one the team was most excited for being that they drafted him a round ahead of Lewis. So what gives?  What do you feel is the likely future for these young CBs?

Do you think that we will one day feature Chido and Lewis as our starters?  With Brown in the rotation? Giving us a nice young trio going forward?

Last years DB class was said to be the deepest in the last decade. Guys who were going in round 2 would normally be 1st rounders and so on... Many people here are fed up with our poor secondary play, and grumblings about using our 1st on a DB are beginning. Does drafting Lewis and Chido so high last year stop us from going CB early in next years draft? Considering we also drafted two other DBs later on last year?

Everyone needs to calm down right now the state of this team is in a flux of transition that all Cowboy nation thought that they would be Super Bowl ready after last years season. With the 2 departures from the offensive line a lot of fans dumped on Doug Free but now its water under the bridge, the offensive line has shown that it's not rated the best in the league with no quality depth to step up. The defensive line has shown it has a few bright spots on Lawrence, Collins after that who has stepped up consistently with no QB pressure let opposing QB's pick your secondary apart. As for the line backing crew you have Hitchens, Lee the most consistent LB'S with Jaylon Smith and Damien Wilson still trying to get better and with all the new additions to our secondary they need to learn each other's traits and build a strong chemistry. Were close but no cigar yet. 

Lewis has had his moments, but the secondary as a whole has been garbage. Why the coaches decided that Jeff Heath would be a good option at S to replace Church is beyond my comprehension. I've said this before, we need a true safety back there. Someone who's played safety at a high level against back there, not some tweener workout warrior who got overvalued due to his combine. Byron Jones should've been left at CB his rookie year, where he flashed. If they wanted a S during that draft, they should've drafted Randall or Collins. We have gotten killed for over a decade with terrible safety play (since Woodson retired) and it hasn't been addressed like it needs to be. As for the pass rush, Demarcus Lawrence and Collins have provided a good rush, our secondary though (sans Lewis) is just really, really bad.  

I liked what I saw of Awuzie in college and think he can be at least a #2 starter in this league, he's just going to need time to rebound from this injury (one of the things the staff has done right this year, imo, is play it safe with him). I'm really impressed by Lewis and think he can be a good player for us for quite some time. Think Scandrick but with more playmaking ability. 

This isn't to say I wouldn't look at adding another player or two via the draft or free agency should the right guy fall into our lap. We'll likely be moving on from Scandrick after this season and while I like Brown, I think we may have seen his best last season and he is what he is, a #4 CB at best. 

I think Lewis can be a #2. Needs work though. We need a #1 corner. Awuzie hasn't convinced me he can even get out of bed without getting injured. Anthony Brown just sucks. I don't know why but he has looked so horrific this year. I think he has 6 or 7 pass interference calls too. Scandrick needs to be cut ASAP.

Archived