The Future for Chido and Lewis

DaBoys

Status of our young CBs  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Status of our young CBs

• Lewis has showed promise and Chido will be a stud. They just need time. If Brown can step it up we shouldn't have to worry about CB for years.
    • Lewis, Brown, and our whole secondary have been garbage this year, and who the hell is Chido? We need to go CB day 1 or 2 of the draft.
    • I'm lame and like riding the fence so I'll just state the obvious and say, we don't know what they will become. And because I'm extra lame I'll add that we should draft CB if he is BPA.

Scandricks best asset has always been his speed and agility. Was never a ball hawk like Lewis seems to be. Just really good at covering shifty slot receivers. Sadly, it looks like father time has finally begun to diminish his speed. Definitely looks more sluggish than he did 4 years ago. It might be time to move on, but I won't let that diminish from years of solid play. I'll never forget the battle with Mike Jenkins. Didn't matter who was here, who we drafted, or signed. Terrence Newman, Mike Jenkins in the first round, Brandon Carr $50M, Pac Man Jones, Morris Claiborne 6th overall.  Scandrick was the one who lasted, and usually the most consistent. Plus he has like 10 more career sacks than Sean Lee.

6 hours ago, cowboysdreamer said:

The defensive line has shown it has a few bright spots on Lawrence, Collins after that who has stepped up consistently 

Lawrence yes, and Collins has been okay. David Irving is a half sack behind Geno Atkins for most sacks by a DT. I know he was suspended 4 games but 6 sacks in 7 games is pretty damn consistent. DLaw is in the running for DPOY. We just as of yesterday fell from the top 10 as a unit in sacks. We are now ranked about even with the Vikings and Seahawks at getting sacks. Two very good units.

We are going to have to dig deeper than the copy/paste "no pressure, thats why our DBs suck" conclusion. There is just way to much overwhelming evidence that points the other way.

There has to be a different or at least bigger issue. If that be our soft coverage scheme, or lack of creativity in coverage. Or our players being really young back there, or guys like Jeff Heath being what the fans thought of him. Maybe Byron Jones is out of position. Maybe he just isn't a difference maker no matter where you put him. Maybe we should have drafted Landon Collins. Scandrick is getting older and isn't as effective. Anthony Brown maybe regressing or was a tad over hyped to begin with on a 13-3 team.

You guys just aren't going to get me on board with Dlaw, David Irving, and Collins being whats wrong with the secondary.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Lawrence yes, and Collins has been okay. David Irving is a half sack behind Geno Atkins for most sacks by a DT. I know he was suspended 4 games but 6 sacks in 7 games is pretty damn consistent. DLaw is in the running for DPOY. We just as of yesterday fell from the top 10 as a unit in sacks. We are now ranked about even with the Vikings and Seahawks at getting sacks. Two very good units.

We are going to have to dig deeper than the copy/paste "no pressure, thats why our DBs suck" conclusion. There is just way to much overwhelming evidence that points the other way.

There has to be a different or at least bigger issue. If that be our soft coverage scheme, or lack of creativity in coverage. Or our players being really young back there, or guys like Jeff Heath being what the fans thought of him. Maybe Byron Jones is out of position. Maybe he just isn't a difference maker no matter where you put him. Maybe we should have drafted Landon Collins. Scandrick is getting older and isn't as effective. Anthony Brown maybe regressing or was a tad over hyped to begin with on a 13-3 team.

You guys just aren't going to get me on board with Dlaw, David Irving, and Collins being whats wrong with the secondary.

Agreed. I don't believe it is our d line. We can get pressure. 

IMO the other team knows we are never going to blitz and our coverage/scheme is soft. Makes it really hard for the DBs on the plays we don't get pressure.

There has to be a reason why our DBs never make plays. Carr had a good career in KC before coming here and is now causing turnovers in Baltimore. MO was highly touted for a reason. Church is having a solid year for the Jags.

Seems to coincidental that our DBs seem to do better before coming here and then after. Seems to coincidental that we can never cause turnovers.

We need a new system. Until then I'm not ready to give up on our DBs.

The tough thing with projecting this secondary is that most of them have been drafted with the idea that they could play multiple positions, but to this point have mostly shown the ability to suck at multiple positions.

In all seriousness, a predictable defense scheme probably isn’t helping a backfield whose best asset is versatility. And moreover, a new coaching staff could have their own ideas of where guys fit best, so it’s hard to say. But my guess is at least one safety or boundary corner spot will be in need of and may get an upgrade.

I think our defensive line and our ability to gets sacks has been the best part about the team this year. Hands down best unit. I would really like to hear an argument for a better unit on our team this year than the DL. AND SPECIFICALLY the ability to create sacks.

Not so much against the run. The implementation of #76 Richard Ash at the 1 tech instead of Collins on run downs has not improved this.  Maybe a "talented" big body NT would help. But what do I know? Might as well bring in more tweeners like Datone Jones. Marinelli really ahould switch to 3-4 because freakin loves 5 techs. Sean Lee being hurt certainly doesn't help either.

But again our pass rush has been the best part of our team.

20 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I think our defensive line and our ability to gets sacks has been the best part about the team this year. Hands down best unit. I would really like to hear an argument for a better unit on our team this year than the DL. AND SPECIFICALLY the ability to create sacks.

Not so much against the run. The implementation of #76 Richard Ash at the 1 tech instead of Collins on run downs has not improved this.  Maybe a "talented" big body NT would help. But what do I know? Might as well bring in more tweeners like Datone Jones. Marinelli really ahould switch to 3-4 because freakin loves 5 techs. Sean Lee being hurt certainly doesn't help either.

But again our pass rush has been the best part of our team.

Not the last few games it hasn't.

43 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Not the last few games it hasn't.

First, I'll say again. Name a better unit on our team. Even the last few weeks. Ive seen DLaw tackled to the ground by the OL multiple times with no call these last 2 games. And DLaw DID get home against ATL and we were getting pressure. We may even have won that game if Lee didn't go down and Chaz Green did instead.

Secondly, let's think about this in context of the current discussion.  No, the last two weeks we weren't getting sacks. Is that when we started seeing trouble in our secondary?  Were the DBs covering like all pros in every game except for the last 2? Because we were a Top 10 unit in getting sacks and had multiple guys leading the league in sacks at their position. And we were still struggling to get picks and defend the pass. 

We were a top unit in the league at sacking the QB. If you need to go from #8 in the league to #2 for your DBs to work then FTW.

When Lawrence and Irving tear it up, the DBs look great. When the pressure isnt there, they look horrible.

Look, no corner will play well when the pressure isnt helping them out.

Lewis and Brown has issues all year, but they didnt matter when the pressure was getting home and helping the coverage team.

Lewis, Brown, Awuzie, they will be fine with more experience and the pressure team picking their game back up to where we have seen it go this season.

But if pressure fails, I dont care what DB you put back there, this wont work, period.

Let me re-frame.  We need to add quality depth to our d line so we can have a quality rotation.  Fresh legs in the fourth quarter when games are on the line.  Remember our championship teams?  Guys like Jones, Lett, and Jeffcoat coming in when the OL is dragging its' heels?  Suddenly you have a a dog tired OL facing some fresh, talented DL.  It's no contest. Fortifying your DL is never a bad thing.  A strong pass rush can ease a lot of sins.  I realize this is easier said than done especially in the cap era.  Also we have to speculate or forecast who is going to be with us long term and who will be leaving as a FA.  Don't want to get caught with an impact player leaving and the cupboard being bare.  We've got three solid pieces up front:  Lawrence, Collins, and Irving.

A group of rookies in the secondary are going to struggle regardless.  Give them some time.  Lewis and Awuzie lost time to injuries in training camp and this set them back.  

You dont think we have quality DLine depth?

I am pretty sure depth was the thing everyone kept citing as a.reason for reform and success going into this season, defensively anyway. And there I was, saying this group wont be that good again, and there many of you were calling me crazy again :P

One could argue though that the depth is there. Its the consistency. One COULD. I wont, however.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

You dont think we have quality DLine depth?

I am pretty sure depth was the thing everyone kept citing as a.reason for reform and success going into this season, defensively anyway. And there I was, saying this group wont be that good again, and there many of you were calling me crazy again :P

One could argue though that the depth is there. Its the consistency. One COULD. I wont, however.

What happens if one of Lawrence, Irving, or Collins goes down?  Chaos.  I think we have 3 quality starters, but there is a huge dropoff  in talent beyond those three.  No we don't have quality depth.  We have depth in numbers. Wait we have Datone Jones!  I stand corrected.  To me it' 3 quality players and then a bunch of guys.

The Cowboy's secondary will turn it around next year there's a whole lot of other issues going on with this team! Lewis, Awuzie, Woods will get it together eventually . And don't forget Marquise White on the practice squad they are very high on him.

1) under performance- bad tackling, lack of quality depth, over paid players that are not living up to their standards , badly timed penalties that stop the offensive momentum, every team loading the box because the Cowboy's don't try and go deep to try and stretch the field its all these short 5 to 10 yards dink and dunks they are to predictable. Weak offensive and defensive lines and the need to load up with talented players.

2) Suspensions constantly hurt this team the Jone's need to be more strict with their players and make them accountable for selfishness.

3) Start giving players on their roster more playing time to see what you have going into next year because I really don't see this team going to the play offs this year, too much to over come !

4) Try and get someone out of the Patriots organization to show them that you don't need to over pay for production this organization plugs in any Joe blow off the street and is still successful, they even trade up and down in the draft and always seem to have a good draft class.

5) Once our secondary players get enough playing time together they should show a good product on the field. Our drafted secondary players this year had very limited time together with all the injuries that they occurred.

6) Execution/Frustration  is the biggest problems with this team everyone trying to do more than what's asked of them, missing assignments, blocks not hitting the right gaps and found out of position.  

Archived