Worth more? #1 pick or Justin Fields?

mdonnelly21

67 members have voted

1. 1. Worth More for Trade

• Justin Fields
    • #1 Pick

#1 is more valuable because you can trade it for a bigger haul than you'd get for Fields and having the pick gives you the chance to choose one of Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Jalen Carter, or Will Anderson. I'm intrigued to see how Fields develops, he was excellent last year as a runner but he also led the Bears to the lowest volume passing attack  in the league. The team is 5-20 with Fields as their starter, he has completed less than 60% of his passes through his first two seasons, and his TD/INT ratio is almost 1:1. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

#1 is more valuable because you can trade it for a bigger haul than you'd get for Fields and having the pick gives you the chance to choose one of Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Jalen Carter, or Will Anderson. I'm intrigued to see how Fields develops, he was excellent last year as a runner but he also led the Bears to the lowest volume passing attack  in the league. The team is 5-20 with Fields as their starter, he has completed less than 60% of his passes through his first two seasons, and his TD/INT ratio is almost 1:1. 

Would you keep Fields or select QB1 if you're the Bears?

In the NFL you are trying to get the most value for your assets. Getting a number one overall pick likely has more trade value than Fields because of the two extra years on a rookie contract.

Plus Fields has had two years with a guy that was trying to take the GM down with him IMO (Nagy) and a first time playcaller in Getsy that spent almost half the season looking totally inept. Trading for him put him in his 4th system in 4 years - counting OSU. Terrible way to groom a developing QB. That has to hurt his value too.

• Like 3

I mean, I'm a Justin Fields apologist, and I think it's pretty clearly the #1 overall pick being more valuable, but that's not the conversation.

Is it:

The #1 overall pick

OR

Justin Fields and the haul they're going to get for the #1 pick.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

The #1 Pick is worth 3,000 value points.

So, for perspective, Pick #4 is worth 1,800 points...so it's basically #4 and #21 on the value chart...which INDY doesn't have.

INDY would basically have to trade their entire 2023 draft AND pony up a 2024 2nd Round pick to move up to #1 if you went off of the value chart in a vacuum.

...so yeah, give me Fields and the war chest.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I think it’s a better question than it seems. The first pick this year is more than likely going to be a qb. As someone said before, if Fields was in this draft, he’d likely be the top guy. The first pick will yield more in return in a trade. Fields is being judged too critically after a year in a new system, terrible receivers, and horrendous blocking (don’t bring up the arbitrary misguided PFF OL stats lol). The years I thought were bad with our best receiver being either Earl Bennett or Devin Hester would’ve been preferable  to what we fielded last year. I think Fields makes tremendous strides this year with a whole offseason to work on mechanics and allow Getsy to figure his stuff out. Assuming the bears upgrade several positions, that is. But overall, I’m happier with Fields than I would be taking one of these qbs. And overall, I’m happy that we have both options lol. 

I don't think Fields would be the top QB in this draft. 

I'd roll with Fields and a trade down from #1 if I was the Bears.  They also have the most cap room in the NFL by a significant margin.  They need to leverage that into a couple average to above average OL and at least 1 above average WR along with some other roster improvements.  Then use a top 60 pick on WR as well and hope your scouting department is up for the task.

41 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

In the NFL you are trying to get the most value for your assets. Getting a number one overall pick likely has more trade value than Fields because of the two extra years on a rookie contract.

Plus Fields has had two years with a guy that was trying to take the GM down with him IMO (Nagy) and a first time playcaller in Getsy that spent almost half the season looking totally inept. Trading for him put him in his 4th system in 4 years - counting OSU. Terrible way to groom a developing QB. That has to hurt his value too.

This.  Fields is far from a sure thing.  He's got talent, that's clear, but he's also damaged goods to a degree, and is a few years in.  I think he was a better prospect than any QB this year, but that doesn't make him worth more than the first overall.

• Like 1