Jump to content
turtle28

2017 Training Camp Thread

165 posts in this topic

turtle28    13
Posted (edited)

5 Redskins under most pressure entering Training Camp http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/need-know-five-redskins-under-most-pressure-entering-camp 

Quote:

1. QB Kirk Cousins– He’s under pressure to get this team back to the playoffs. Rob Kelley and Samaje Perine will help the running game and perhaps the defense will improve. But this team still will rise and fall by scoring points through the air. From his point of view, he’s on a one-year deal. 

2. WR Terrelle Pryor– He also is in the one-year contract situation so he needs to impress all 32 teams to drive up his value. He’s also being counted on to replace the 1,000-yard production of either Pierre Garçon or DeSean Jackson. Or maybe both. 

3. CB Josh Norman - Cousins has the highest 2017 salari on the team but Norman has the biggest contract on the team and he didn’t have the impact to match it last year. It’s not that he had a bad year but it’s reasonable to expect more interceptions and fewer penalties. It’s fair to give him a pass with it being his first year in the system. However, the Redskins have a window to release him without a debilitating cap hit after this season and if the value isn’t there you can’t rule out them pulling the trigger. 

4. S Su’a Cravens - we all know why he's under pressure. It's because while he's built like a safety, he's never been a great down the field cover guy. In the end it may end up he's a tweener that won't work out at safety except on run downs like many bigger safeties but thats an answer we need to find out. I still believe it's best to have him be a safety in 1st downs, short and medium to go downs and short yardage but when we go to our nickle or dive defense he should be moved up to ILB and Hall or Blackmon (whomever makes it as our top back up safety) should come in to play the deep routes.

5. OLB Preston Smith– When he is on, few are better. When he’s off, he can disappear for games on end. Consistency is the key for Smith this year. If he catches on and starts playing at his best all the time, he may be in line for a lucrative contract extension next offseason. If he falters, Trent Murphy, Junior Galette, and Ryan Anderson all will be waiting to lay claim to his snaps.

Woz wrote:
In a nicer layout. 
Code:

95     Allen, Jonathan          DL     6-3     286    22    R     Alabama 

52     Anderson, Ryan           LB     6-2     253    22    R     Alabama 

63R    Banks, Brandon           DL     6-3     287    22    R     Charlotte 

68     Catalina, Tyler          G      6-6     314    24    R     Georgia 

19     Davis, Robert            WR     6-3     219    22    R     Georgia State 

40     Harvey-Clemons, Josh     LB     6-4     217    23    R     Louisville 

20R    Holsey, Joshua           CB     5-11    195    22    R     Auburn 

37     Homer, Tevin             CB     6-2     195          R     Florida Atlantic

88     Jacobs, Levern           WR     5-11    185    24    R     Maryland 

67     Kalis, Kyle              G      6-4     308    23    R     Michigan

 46     Marley, Nico             LB     5-8     200          R     Tulane 

34R    Nicholson, Montae        S      6-2     212    21    R     Michigan State 

16     Pascal, Zach             WR     6-2     219    22    R     Old Dominion 

32W    Perine, Samaje           RB     5-11    233    21    R     Oklahoma 

73R    Pipkins, Ondre           DL     6-3     325    23    R     Texas Tech 

17     Quick, James             WR     6-0     186    22    R     Louisvile 

73W    Roullier, Chase          C      6-4     312    23    R     Wyoming 

25R    Smithson, Fish           S      5-11    190    23    R     Kansas 

87     Sprinkle, Jeremy         TE     6-5     252    22    R     Arkansas

Washington Redskins Profile 2017: RB Samaje Perine http://riggosrag.com/2017/07/21/redskins-profile-2017-samaje-perine/ 

Quote:

Most importantly, Perine is an NFL ready player. His strength will allow him to succeed as he improves the other aspects of his game. The more he continues to spend time in the system, the more he will learn and get better.

During his first season, Perine realistically should emerge as the lead back for the team, as he is the most talented member of their backfield.

 Perine might not be ready to be a 1,000 yard rusher yet. But one thing is certain. The Redskins are going to want to use him quite a bit over the course of the season. Perine is a player who should be very good, and could end up playing a big role as a member of the Redskins offense in 2017.

Fabian Moreau will receive an injury update http://riggosrag.com/2017/07/21/fabian-moreau-will-receive-health-update/ 

 

Here is my prediction for 53 man roster: 

Qb: Cousins, McCoy, Sudfeld 

RB: Kelley, Perine, Thompson 

TE: Reed, VD, Paul, Sprinkle 

LWR: Pryor, Quick 

RWR: Doctson, Harris 

SWR: Crowder, Grant 

LT: Williams, Nsekhe 

LG: Lauvao, Kouandijo 

C: Long, Roullier 

RG: Scherff 

RT: Moses

 (24) 

DEFENSE

RDE: Allen, Lanier 

NT: McGee, Taylor, Ioannidis 

LDE: McClain, Hood 

ROLB: Galette, Smith 

WIL: Brown, Compton 

MIKE: Foster, Spaight 

LOLB: Kerrigan, Anderson - Murphy will start on PUP & return week 5. He can play DE & OLB, we'll have to cut someone for him. Likely a WR, DL or S 

RCB: Breeland, Dunbar 

LCB: Norman, Moreau 

SCB: Fuller 

SS: Su’a Cravens, Nicholson 

FS: D.J. Swearinger, DeAngelo Hall, Deshazor Everett

 (25, 26 when Murphy is back) 

K: Hopkins

P: Way 

LS: Sundberg 

KR: Thompson 

PR: Crowder 

PRACTICE SQUAD: 

Keith Marshall, RB 

Robert Davis, WR 

Kendall Thompson, WR 

Kevin Bowen, OT 

Isaiah Willians, OL 

Kyle Kalis, OG 

Ondre Pipkins, NT

Joshua Holsey, CB 

Josh Harvey-Clemons, ILB 

Fish Smithston, FS 

I don't think all 3 of Hall, Blackmon and Everett make the team, unless Moreau can't go and they move Blackmon or Hall back to corner. I'll also be shocked if Montae Nicholson doesn't make it.

They're going to have a hard decision to make at safety. They have two veterans who are versatile enough to play corner and safety but I'm not sure I'd keep either and definitely not both.

I think Hall has the upper hand on Blackmon but the issue there is Hall's recent injury. Hall has gotten hurt every season since 2014 and it's hurt our defense a lot each year but if he's available he's a key piece as a cover guy and playmaker on the back end that we need. I'd keep him around as a safety we bring in on 2nd/3rd in long and move Cravens to dime ILB on those downs. Hall & Swearinger would be our safeties in clear passing situations. I think if Everett continues to flash as a FS and if Nicholson shows anything at all as a special teams guy and potential future starter they make the team and Blackmon will be the cut.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
turtle28    13

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0681123771737706716-4

@john_keim

"Redskins safety DeAngelo Hall and linebacker Houston Bates both will open training camp on the physically unable to perform list, per a source. Neither one is a surprise. Both are coming off torn ACLs-- Hall hurt his in September; Bates hurt his in December. The Redskins will wait until Wednesday's physicals to determine if others open on the PUP list."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MKnight82    36

Holy crap the first Redskins preseason game is just two weeks from today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jlash    27

You think Galette starts over Smith?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MKnight82    36
2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

You think Galette starts over Smith?

I don't think Galette will even make the roster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jlash    27
3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't think Galette will even make the roster.  

I was asking Turtle, since he has Galette listed ahead of Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
turtle28    13
Posted (edited)

Smith might be our most inconsistent defender, possibly he just had a sophomore slump last year but he didn't do much as a rookie until he faced a bunch of back ups and injured LTs the last month of the season. Galette has the quickest first step on the team, he's a better version of Orakpo. If Galette is good to go, he along with Allen are the two defenders in the front 7 that can make consistent game changing plays. So, yeah I think he should be the starter. We missed what he could have given us immensely the last two years.

 

 

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mike23md    9
On 7/24/2017 at 2:11 AM, turtle28 said:

5 Redskins under most pressure entering Training Camp http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/need-know-five-redskins-under-most-pressure-entering-camp 

Quote:

1. QB Kirk Cousins– He’s under pressure to get this team back to the playoffs. Rob Kelley and Samaje Perine will help the running game and perhaps the defense will improve. But this team still will rise and fall by scoring points through the air. From his point of view, he’s on a one-year deal. 

2. WR Terrelle Pryor– He also is in the one-year contract situation so he needs to impress all 32 teams to drive up his value. He’s also being counted on to replace the 1,000-yard production of either Pierre Garçon or DeSean Jackson. Or maybe both. 

3. CB Josh Norman - Cousins has the highest 2017 salari on the team but Norman has the biggest contract on the team and he didn’t have the impact to match it last year. It’s not that he had a bad year but it’s reasonable to expect more interceptions and fewer penalties. It’s fair to give him a pass with it being his first year in the system. However, the Redskins have a window to release him without a debilitating cap hit after this season and if the value isn’t there you can’t rule out them pulling the trigger. 

4. S Su’a Cravens - we all know why he's under pressure. It's because while he's built like a safety, he's never been a great down the field cover guy. In the end it may end up he's a tweener that won't work out at safety except on run downs like many bigger safeties but thats an answer we need to find out. I still believe it's best to have him be a safety in 1st downs, short and medium to go downs and short yardage but when we go to our nickle or dive defense he should be moved up to ILB and Hall or Blackmon (whomever makes it as our top back up safety) should come in to play the deep routes.

5. OLB Preston Smith– When he is on, few are better. When he’s off, he can disappear for games on end. Consistency is the key for Smith this year. If he catches on and starts playing at his best all the time, he may be in line for a lucrative contract extension next offseason. If he falters, Trent Murphy, Junior Galette, and Ryan Anderson all will be waiting to lay claim to his snaps.

Woz wrote:
In a nicer layout. 
Code:

95     Allen, Jonathan          DL     6-3     286    22    R     Alabama 

52     Anderson, Ryan           LB     6-2     253    22    R     Alabama 

63R    Banks, Brandon           DL     6-3     287    22    R     Charlotte 

68     Catalina, Tyler          G      6-6     314    24    R     Georgia 

19     Davis, Robert            WR     6-3     219    22    R     Georgia State 

40     Harvey-Clemons, Josh     LB     6-4     217    23    R     Louisville 

20R    Holsey, Joshua           CB     5-11    195    22    R     Auburn 

37     Homer, Tevin             CB     6-2     195          R     Florida Atlantic

88     Jacobs, Levern           WR     5-11    185    24    R     Maryland 

67     Kalis, Kyle              G      6-4     308    23    R     Michigan

 46     Marley, Nico             LB     5-8     200          R     Tulane 

34R    Nicholson, Montae        S      6-2     212    21    R     Michigan State 

16     Pascal, Zach             WR     6-2     219    22    R     Old Dominion 

32W    Perine, Samaje           RB     5-11    233    21    R     Oklahoma 

73R    Pipkins, Ondre           DL     6-3     325    23    R     Texas Tech 

17     Quick, James             WR     6-0     186    22    R     Louisvile 

73W    Roullier, Chase          C      6-4     312    23    R     Wyoming 

25R    Smithson, Fish           S      5-11    190    23    R     Kansas 

87     Sprinkle, Jeremy         TE     6-5     252    22    R     Arkansas

Washington Redskins Profile 2017: RB Samaje Perine http://riggosrag.com/2017/07/21/redskins-profile-2017-samaje-perine/ 

Quote:

Most importantly, Perine is an NFL ready player. His strength will allow him to succeed as he improves the other aspects of his game. The more he continues to spend time in the system, the more he will learn and get better.

During his first season, Perine realistically should emerge as the lead back for the team, as he is the most talented member of their backfield.

 Perine might not be ready to be a 1,000 yard rusher yet. But one thing is certain. The Redskins are going to want to use him quite a bit over the course of the season. Perine is a player who should be very good, and could end up playing a big role as a member of the Redskins offense in 2017.

Fabian Moreau will receive an injury update http://riggosrag.com/2017/07/21/fabian-moreau-will-receive-health-update/ 

 

Here is my prediction for 53 man roster: 

Qb: Cousins, McCoy, Sudfeld 

RB: Kelley, Perine, Thompson 

TE: Reed, VD, Paul, Sprinkle 

LWR: Pryor, Quick 

RWR: Doctson, Harris 

SWR: Crowder, Grant 

LT: Williams, Nsekhe 

LG: Lauvao, Kouandijo 

C: Long, Roullier 

RG: Scherff 

RT: Moses

 (24) 

DEFENSE

RDE: Allen, Lanier 

NT: McGee, Taylor, Ioannidis 

LDE: McClain, Hood 

ROLB: Galette, Smith 

WIL: Brown, Compton 

MIKE: Foster, Spaight 

LOLB: Kerrigan, Anderson - Murphy will start on PUP & return week 5. He can play DE & OLB, we'll have to cut someone for him. Likely a WR, DL or S 

RCB: Breeland, Dunbar 

LCB: Norman, Moreau 

SCB: Fuller 

SS: Su’a Cravens, Nicholson 

FS: D.J. Swearinger, DeAngelo Hall, Deshazor Everett

 (25, 26 when Murphy is back) 

K: Hopkins

P: Way 

LS: Sundberg 

KR: Thompson 

PR: Crowder 

PRACTICE SQUAD: 

Keith Marshall, RB 

Robert Davis, WR 

Kendall Thompson, WR 

Kevin Bowen, OT 

Isaiah Willians, OL 

Kyle Kalis, OG 

Ondre Pipkins, NT

Joshua Holsey, CB 

Josh Harvey-Lemons, ILB 

Fish Stinton, FS 

I don't think all 3 of Hall, Blackmon and Everett make the team, unless Moreau can't go and they move Blackmon or Hall back to corner. I'll also be shocked if Montae Nicholson doesn't make it.

They're going to have a hard decision to make at safety. They have two veterans who are versatile enough to play corner and safety but I'm not sure I'd keep either and definitely not both.

I think Hall has the upper hand on Blackmon but the issue there is Hall's recent injury. Hall has gotten hurt every season since 2014 and it's hurt our defense a lot each year but if he's available he's a key piece as a cover guy and playmaker on the back end that we need. I'd keep him around as a safety we bring in on 2nd/3rd in long and move Cravens to dime ILB on those downs. Hall & Swearinger would be our safeties in clear passing situations. I think if Everett continues to flash as a FS and if Nicholson shows anything at all as a special teams guy and potential future starter they make the team and Blackmon will be the cut.

Ok, so his name is Fish Smithson and Josh Harvey-Clemons. 

I do know that the Redskins are high on Fish Smithson and he could be a very good S for them. It's likely that they stash him somewhere he can't be touched. 

Hall will have a roster spot, but only for this season considering he kissed Bruce Allen's hiney this off season. 

I would honestly keep this rotation at S:

FS: Swearinger, Hall, Everett

SS: Cravens, Nicholson or Clemons (Both are RAW talents)

I honestly wish that one of the OLB's we have, considering we potentially have 4 10 sack guys rotating, would be moved inside. (I would prefer that either Anderson or Murphy move inside) This could alleviate Will Compton from his duties and we could build with Brown and Player X. Its not that I don't like Compton, I just don't see him as a starter and it was proven when no other team would match his offer (Original Round Tender, UFA) in free agency. Especially when Mason Foster out played him in the games they started. Even Foster is not a starter in my eyes. Would much rather see Murphy or Anderson move inside and have Foster and Compton as solid back ups. 

McMillan and Cunningham were both on the board when we took Anderson. That pissed me off more than anything considering Anderson was viewed widely as a 3rd rounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
turtle28    13
16 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

 

 

I've heard nothing but good things about Doctson which gets a bit of a rise out of me in a particular area. And that's all I got to say about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
turtle28    13
20 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Ok, so his name is Fish Smithson and Josh Harvey-Clemons. 

I do know that the Redskins are high on Fish Smithson and he could be a very good S for them. It's likely that they stash him somewhere he can't be touched. 

Hall will have a roster spot, but only for this season considering he kissed Bruce Allen's hiney this off season. 

I would honestly keep this rotation at S:

FS: Swearinger, Hall, Everett

SS: Cravens, Nicholson or Clemons (Both are RAW talents)

I honestly wish that one of the OLB's we have, considering we potentially have 4 10 sack guys rotating, would be moved inside. (I would prefer that either Anderson or Murphy move inside) This could alleviate Will Compton from his duties and we could build with Brown and Player X. Its not that I don't like Compton, I just don't see him as a starter and it was proven when no other team would match his offer (Original Round Tender, UFA) in free agency. Especially when Mason Foster out played him in the games they started. Even Foster is not a starter in my eyes. Would much rather see Murphy or Anderson move inside and have Foster and Compton as solid back ups. 

McMillan and Cunningham were both on the board when we took Anderson. That pissed me off more than anything considering Anderson was viewed widely as a 3rd rounder. 

Sorry about the misspells, autocorrect got me! Lol 😂 

 

I agree with your opinion of the draft but they went BPA on their board and it's hard to say that McMillan or Cunningham are really that much better than Anderson from what I've seen of them all in college.

Anderson has the tenacity and motor they are looking for in a LB. McMillan is a good MLB but he's not over athletic, Cunningham is an athletic freak but inconsistent and probably won't be a starter year one, and if he is he'll be inconsistent. 

As for moving Murphy or Anderson to ILB. I guess I could see it for Anderson - although dropping into coverage is not his forte - but I have never agreed with those in the media or on message boards that Murphy should be moved to ILB.

As ppl used to say about Orakpo, Murphy is best with his hand in the dirt, whether that be as a DE when we are in a 4 man front or a DE in a 3 man front. I just don't see the althelicism we'd need to see from him to be dropping into coverage 4/5 of the game and I never have, even when he's asked to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB. Murphy is best at going forward from the DL and after the QB or RB in that way. He's never ever played as an ILB, I think it would be a huge struggle for him.

Now, I could see Anderson doing it because I think he has a better hips and athleticism than Murphy. I still don't think he's a better option than Foster though, and neither is Murphy or Compton. Foster isn't great in coverage but he's a heck of a run defender and we need his size in there on run downs (1st, 2nd & short yardage). 

When I think to the past about our ILB position what upsets me the most is when Shanahan didn't agree to match Lorenzo Alexander's offer from the Cardinals. I always saw Zo as a capable replacement for Fletcher. He's extremely intelligent and once he lost that weight to be an OLB he showed off his althleticism as well. The bills are reaping those rewards now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jlash    27
13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Smith might be our most inconsistent defender, possibly he just had a sophomore slump last year but he didn't do much as a rookie until he faced a bunch of back ups and injured LTs the last month of the season. Galette has the quickest first step on the team, he's a better version of Orakpo. If Galette is good to go, he along with Allen are the two defenders in the front 7 that can make consistent game changing plays. So, yeah I think he should be the starter. We missed what he could have given us immensely the last two years.

 

 

Damn. If he gets to go against back up guards from a 4 point stance each week you guys will be flying high!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×