turtle28

2017 Training Camp Thread

166 posts in this topic

Woz    37
19 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Since Murphy is going to miss the whole season, does he have to serve his suspension next year now?

No, he can serve his suspension while on IR.

Woz    37

As for Murphy, it's a shame but I'm not sure it's that big of a loss. Much more like Galette makes the roster now.

turtle28    17
21 hours ago, Brian23 said:

I get it, I just don't see it as losing a valuable pass rusher. Just because he pass rushes doesn't mean he's "good". Run stuffing OLB are a dime a dozen, they can replace that fairly easily (And they've got Ryan Anderson already to do that).

Again, the way the sentence flows doesn't disregard that he might have only been good because of the juice. It continues on as if he -is- a good pass rusher when I think he's not.

You say they're a dime a dozen, well the issue is that now it's August and we lost a versatile defender who can play OLB & DE. To be able to replace that player now with his talent and ability is virtually impossible.

Murphy isn't a dynamic pass rusher - I agree there - but he's a relentless pass rusher who has ability. Losing a player like him in the rotation is going to hurt our defensive depth. 

No doubt I think we can overcome it because of the depth we have at OLB & DE this year but it will still be a missing piece for our defense.

turtle28    17

I just saw on Redskins.com that Montae Nicholson & Fabian Moreau have been cleared for full practice.

Woz    37
6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You say they're a dime a dozen, well the issue is that now it's August and we lost a versatile defender who can play OLB & DE. To be able to replace that player now with his talent and ability is virtually impossible.

Murphy isn't a dynamic pass rusher - I agree there - but he's a relentless pass rusher who has ability. Losing a player like him in the rotation is going to hurt our defensive depth. 

No doubt I think we can overcome it because of the depth we have at OLB & DE this year but it will still be a missing piece for our defense.

Except, barring massive injuries to the DL, he was almost never going to play on the line. Even in nickel and dime packages, we would have likely gone other directions for pass rushing. I also don't know if it is going to hurt our depth as we already had four other guys: Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson, and Galette. Prior to Murphy going down, there might have been a competition as to who would make the roster, with someone (Galette?) possibly getting booted.

You never want to lose someone to injury, but I don't see it as dire as you seem to.

turtle28    17
On 8/13/2017 at 6:31 PM, Woz said:

Except, barring massive injuries to the DL, he was almost never going to play on the line. Even in nickel and dime packages, we would have likely gone other directions for pass rushing. I also don't know if it is going to hurt our depth as we already had four other guys: Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson, and Galette. Prior to Murphy going down, there might have been a competition as to who would make the roster, with someone (Galette?) possibly getting booted.

You never want to lose someone to injury, but I don't see it as dire as you seem to.

I don't think it's dire because we have good depth at OLB and improved depth along the DL but I'd still rather have Murphy than not. I certainly don't think -  like some think - that we won't miss his depth and versatility at all.

turtle28    17

Redskins sign WR Jamari Staples, place Trent Murphy on Injured Reserve

https://riggosrag.com/2017/08/12/redskins-sign-wr-jamari-staples-place-trent-murphy-on-injured-reserve/

Staples is a wide receiver who played his college football at UAB and Louisville. Staples was one of the many defectors away from UAB, after the team announced that it would no longer have a football team. Staples played well at Lousiville, making 73 catches for 1,253 yards and 5 touchdowns over the course of two seasons. His average of 17.2 yards per catch is a solid one.

Brian23    0

Don't feel like making a new thread about it.

I really just don't get the Ryan Grant love. Like, I just wish he'd figure whatever it is he needs to figure out to be productive in games but I feel like going into year 4 with only 40 balls and 400 yards to his name is awful and makes me question the resurgence of optimism from the coaches.

25 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

Don't feel like making a new thread about it.

I really just don't get the Ryan Grant love. Like, I just wish he'd figure whatever it is he needs to figure out to be productive in games but I feel like going into year 4 with only 40 balls and 400 yards to his name is awful and makes me question the resurgence of optimism from the coaches.

I think everyone hates him but turtle tbh

turtle28    17

Grant is liked by the coaching staff because he does everything right during practice. Gruden & Hilliard can tell young WRs & even Pryor to watch Grant run his routes and watch the depth he hits and everything and they'll learn something from him.

That doesn't mean anyone thinks Grant is going to be a starter or catch 50, 60 plus balls this year or really ever.

The reason I like Grant is the same reason I like Paul, they are good depth. If you have a WR or TE/WR in Paul's case that can run every route they are asked and run it correctly at the right depth - let's not forget that on Cousins's high throw to Pryor vs the Ravens, Pryor didn't get the correct depth - then the qb can trust that wr or te and the coaches will as well. They are also both good and reliable special teams players.

What I don't understand is why people in this forum and on twitter waste so much time on hating a #4/5 wr & a #3/4 TE. That's what I don't understand. It just seems like a waste of everyone else's time to constantly complain about players who really barely - if ever play on offense - and who barley make the team.

Yes, Grant has fallen down a few times but vs Atl that wasn't entirely his fault. Cousins threw the ball on a hot read because he had pressure and the blitzed was unblocked - which Cousins said was his fault for not changing the position - and Cousins also threw a bad pass. Grant had an in breaking route and was running in and then Cousins threw the ball towards the sidelines, Grant had to stop his inbreaking route at full speed and try to get near the sideline where Cousins was throwing it as an out route. Cousins said that int was his fault, and it was! He should have thrown the ball in the stands because he almost got sacked and couldn't even see where he was throwing it. He should have thrown it away and lived to fight on the  next play. Blaming that entire play on Grant is just STUPID and bad analysis. 

Grant didn't even played much lst year - other than on run plays because Djax was a crap blocker - but I'm sure based upon how many snaps he's played he may have appeared to fall down alot but the truth is he hasn't. He's fallen like 3 times on routes in 3 years or something like that. 

Classic case of fans overreacting.

You all also take my opinions out of context, which continues to be annoying as hell. I don't love Ryan Grant or Niles Paul. If I loved them then I'd say they should be starting, I haven't said that. All I've said is that they should make the team, probably will as one of the last of their position groups to make it and one of the last players to make it on the entire roster.

That ain't love, that's called TRUTH! You all can predict otherwise and be wrong if you want. I'm going off of what Gruden is saying about how each player has performed during camp and that they're better and more reliable than the players they're competing with for those last roster spots.

Edited by turtle28

Brian23    0

@turtle28 I brought it up because of an article actually indicating Gruden and Ike think he can be a big time WR in this league. That's why I asked the open-ended question.

Edited by Brian23