2017 Training Camp Thread

turtle28

21 hours ago, Brian23 said:

I get it, I just don't see it as losing a valuable pass rusher. Just because he pass rushes doesn't mean he's "good". Run stuffing OLB are a dime a dozen, they can replace that fairly easily (And they've got Ryan Anderson already to do that).

Again, the way the sentence flows doesn't disregard that he might have only been good because of the juice. It continues on as if he -is- a good pass rusher when I think he's not.

You say they're a dime a dozen, well the issue is that now it's August and we lost a versatile defender who can play OLB & DE. To be able to replace that player now with his talent and ability is virtually impossible.

Murphy isn't a dynamic pass rusher - I agree there - but he's a relentless pass rusher who has ability. Losing a player like him in the rotation is going to hurt our defensive depth. 

No doubt I think we can overcome it because of the depth we have at OLB & DE this year but it will still be a missing piece for our defense.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You say they're a dime a dozen, well the issue is that now it's August and we lost a versatile defender who can play OLB & DE. To be able to replace that player now with his talent and ability is virtually impossible.

Murphy isn't a dynamic pass rusher - I agree there - but he's a relentless pass rusher who has ability. Losing a player like him in the rotation is going to hurt our defensive depth. 

No doubt I think we can overcome it because of the depth we have at OLB & DE this year but it will still be a missing piece for our defense.

Except, barring massive injuries to the DL, he was almost never going to play on the line. Even in nickel and dime packages, we would have likely gone other directions for pass rushing. I also don't know if it is going to hurt our depth as we already had four other guys: Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson, and Galette. Prior to Murphy going down, there might have been a competition as to who would make the roster, with someone (Galette?) possibly getting booted.

You never want to lose someone to injury, but I don't see it as dire as you seem to.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:31 PM, Woz said:

Except, barring massive injuries to the DL, he was almost never going to play on the line. Even in nickel and dime packages, we would have likely gone other directions for pass rushing. I also don't know if it is going to hurt our depth as we already had four other guys: Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson, and Galette. Prior to Murphy going down, there might have been a competition as to who would make the roster, with someone (Galette?) possibly getting booted.

You never want to lose someone to injury, but I don't see it as dire as you seem to.

I don't think it's dire because we have good depth at OLB and improved depth along the DL but I'd still rather have Murphy than not. I certainly don't think -  like some think - that we won't miss his depth and versatility at all.

Redskins sign WR Jamari Staples, place Trent Murphy on Injured Reserve

https://riggosrag.com/2017/08/12/redskins-sign-wr-jamari-staples-place-trent-murphy-on-injured-reserve/

Staples is a wide receiver who played his college football at UAB and Louisville. Staples was one of the many defectors away from UAB, after the team announced that it would no longer have a football team. Staples played well at Lousiville, making 73 catches for 1,253 yards and 5 touchdowns over the course of two seasons. His average of 17.2 yards per catch is a solid one.

Archived