2017 Training Camp Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, that's what you think but in actuality both McClain & McGee were their team's best two interior defensive linemen last year. You can continue to ignore that if you want but you shouldn't.

No matter how good McClain and McGee were for their respective teams, Richardson is a better overall defensive lineman. He also happens to have played the 3-4 for his entire carer unlike the aforementioned gentlemen.

Honestly, if we could straight up swap Breeland for Richardson, I say do it even if we only have him for a year.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

No matter how good McClain and McGee were for their respective teams, Richardson is a better overall defensive lineman. He also happens to have played the 3-4 for his entire carer unlike the aforementioned gentlemen.

Honestly, if we could straight up swap Breeland for Richardson, I say do it even if we only have him for a year.

Well I never said that McClain & McGee were better options than Richardson.  I've wanted to trade for Richardson for two straight seasons. My point has always been people are guessing that McCalin & McGee won't be good for us based on assumptions and that they haven't put up a lot of stats. My point has always been that they're both good run defenders and it's very hard to measure that statistically and if our run defense improves our overall defense will improve because our run defense has been the biggest problem with our defense for years.

Our safeties are also better tacklers than the ones we've had the last 9 years so that also should also make our run defense better. 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My point has always been people are guessing that McCalin & McGee won't be good for us based on assumptions and that they haven't put up a lot of stats.

I looked at number of starts versus numbers of games played (along with number of teams played for). In Terrell McClain's case that would be 27 starts across 62 games (43.5%) across four teams. All of his starts either came in his rookie campaign of 2011 or last year. So, the Carolina Panthers, who spent the 2011 3.01 (65th overall pick), dumped McClain after one season. He then bounced through three teams including Dallas, two of whom never gave him a start and the Cowboys only did in his 3rd and final season with him. While I have not seen him play (outside of when the Redskins played), I have to believe the coaches on those various squads have. And they found him severely lacking.

Stacy McGee is better in terms of teams (just Oakland), but the starts to games played ratio (18/51, or 35.3%) is worse. And before you say that it was due to injuries, McGee only started 100% of his games in 2016 (9/9). Otherwise it was 5 out of 15, 0 out of 11, and 4 out of 16. Again, if the coaching staff doesn't believe you can play, they don't get you in the game. Throwing a one or two year reclamation project guy a la Bruton is one thing; four and five year contracts with substantial guarantees is another.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My point has always been that they're both good run defenders and it's very hard to measure that statistically

It's certainly hard to measure their contributions statistically when they're not on the field.

25 minutes ago, Woz said:

I looked at number of starts versus numbers of games played (along with number of teams played for). In Terrell McClain's case that would be 27 starts across 62 games (43.5%) across four teams. All of his starts either came in his rookie campaign of 2011 or last year. So, the Carolina Panthers, who spent the 2011 3.01 (65th overall pick), dumped McClain after one season. He then bounced through three teams including Dallas, two of whom never gave him a start and the Cowboys only did in his 3rd and final season with him. While I have not seen him play (outside of when the Redskins played), I have to believe the coaches on those various squads have. And they found him severely lacking.

Stacy McGee is better in terms of teams (just Oakland), but the starts to games played ratio (18/51, or 35.3%) is worse. And before you say that it was due to injuries, McGee only started 100% of his games in 2016 (9/9). Otherwise it was 5 out of 15, 0 out of 11, and 4 out of 16. Again, if the coaching staff doesn't believe you can play, they don't get you in the game. Throwing a one or two year reclamation project guy a la Bruton is one thing; four and five year contracts with substantial guarantees is another.

It's certainly hard to measure their contributions statistically when they're not on the field.

It's simply not true that coaches and fans/writers saw McClain and McGee as lacking. If you lookup most articles about both guys from last Jan/Feb the local writers and fans a like wanted to retain each player and I've posted those articles time and time again since March.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It's simply not true that coaches and fans/writers saw McClain and McGee as lacking. If you lookup most articles about both guys from last Jan/Feb the local writers and fans a like wanted to retain each player and I've posted those articles time and time again since March.

1. What do you call guys who started 50% or less for their last respective teams? Are those critical players?
  2. Yes, most people want to keep role players at the right price. Did any of those articles say "oh, we should have matched the Redskins at 4y/$20M or 5y/$21M contracts?"

Look, we'll see what we have in the next month or so. Maybe I'm completely wrong and that I just missed the brilliance of these moves and it will be wonderful.

I'm going to be betting with the odds, though.

Apparently Breeland had a great day of practice yesterday afternoon. He stood up to the challenge well. I guess the positive encouragement from Hall & Davis after the walk through helped him.

Video shows that the "fight" between Breeland & Pryor was nothing more than Breeland going a bit over the line of scrimmage in the walk through, jawing at Pryor and then the two getting in a shoving match. Apparently Breeland started it and that's why he was tossed. It was also near the end of the walk trough and I guess the tension between the two had been building all practice - like it  usually does at training camp - and Gruden felt he needed to toss Breeland to make a point/get his attention.

14 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. What do you call guys who started 50% or less for their last respective teams? Are those critical players?
  2. Yes, most people want to keep role players at the right price. Did any of those articles say "oh, we should have matched the Redskins at 4y/$20M or 5y/$21M contracts?"

Look, we'll see what we have in the next month or so. Maybe I'm completely wrong and that I just missed the brilliance of these moves and it will be wonderful.

I'm going to be betting with the odds, though.

This coming from the Redskins??? Who can't even sign their own QB when the rest of the league is scratching their heads wondering why...

I would be safe to assume that the odds will be forever in your favor...

6 minutes ago, mike23md said:

This coming from the Redskins??? Who can't even sign their own QB when the rest of the league is scratching their heads wondering why...

I would be safe to assume that the odds will be forever in your favor...

Well that's my point. It's like no one can even have a positive view about any Redskins free agent signing anymore because of how bad some were last decade and before. It's far easier to just claim that the Redskins will screw up a draft selection or a free agent signing than the player they get may actually be good for them.

Just because McGee got hurt last year does not mean he will get hurt as a Redskins this year and just because neither he or McClain have been consistent starters their entire career doesn't mean that they won't be for us or that at the least they won't have a big impact for us.

Their contracts aren't even that huge. Either player could be cut after this season, McGee makes $3.19 million this year and McClain makes $4 million.

We paid that much for RJF the last 2 seasons and he never lived up to expectations either and we cut Paea after one injury riddled season because he didn't live up to expectations.

Its going to be interesting to see what Paea does in Dallas this year vs what McClain does for us because Dallas signed Paea to replace McClain and we cut Paea last year in favor of Reyes - who we cut a few games into the season - Jenkins and RJF, neither of which were anything special for us last year.

Full tweet:

Rookie report: Undrafted free agent guard Kyle Kalis continues to work ahead of Arie Kouandjio with the second offensive line. Kalis has been more consistent, both in one-on-one and full-team work. Kalis hasn't been perfect, but he has shown good technique and vision – he did a nice job seeing and picking up a blitzing corner in full-team work Monday. Kalis has a long way to go to earn a roster spot, but he's at least opened eyes early in camp.

Hey gentlemen, I have a quick question regarding FedEx Field but didn't want to create a new thread here.

I'm heading up there to FedEx for the Packers Redskins week 2 preseason game for my bachelor party and was curious about parking. I really want to take my truck so we can have it there to tailgate, but none of us are gonna be fit for driving when the game is over. I checked the Skins website but can not find any info on vehicles left in the lot. Can I leave it there and pick it up the next day? Is it safe to do so there? Thanks in advance guys. Looking forward to my first game at FedEx

Kalis was a good but not great interior lineman at Michigan, I was excited when we picked him up as an UDFA.

I keep hearing on the radio from beat reporters that Brown hasn't mentally grasped the playbook and that's why he isn't starting. I heard it's a widely known fact that Brown is a tremendous athlete that can do whatever a linebacker needs to do with the best of them but he struggles in the mental aspect of the game.

Basically, he sounds like Perry Riley 2.0.

My hope remains that Brown finally "gets it"  and they start him next to Foster - who calls the plays - or they realize because of his talent that they need him on the field more than Compton, but apparently this is a big worry amongst the coaching staff.

Its no surprise that Will Compton sucks. He was a original round tender RFA this off season and not one team picked him up. No risk with that, and no team picked him up, yet we have him starting. I called him out on it on Twitter. He is terrible. 

Archived