2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: Starting DE

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting DE?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting DE?

• Re-sign Dalvin Tomlinson
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting DE
    • Promote Esezi Otomewo or James Lynch
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Now that we have the new DC in Brian Flores in place, I'd like to gauge people's opinions on how the Vikings should address various positions on the team...obviously, this will probably be heavy on the defensive side of the ball since that seems to have the most glaring holes.  Next position up, the defensive end opposite Harrison Phillips

2022 depth at the position:  Dalvin Tomlinson, Harrison Phillips, James Lynch, Jonathan Bullard, Esezi Otomewo, Ross Blacklock, Sheldon Day, TJ Smith

2023 Outgoing Free Agents:  Tomlinson, Bullard

Potential Free Agents Available: Fletcher Cox, Jarran Reed, Jerry Tillery, Chris Wormley, Sheldon Rankins, Larry Ogunjobi, A'Shawn Robinson, Poona Ford

Potential Draftees: Zacch Pickens, Brett Johnson, Jayson Ademilola, Nesta Jade Silvera, Byron Young, Moro Ojomo, Jermayne Lole, Cory Durden, Isaiah Mullens, Devonnsha Maxwell, Jonah Tavai, Jacob Slade

I'm a big fan of bringing back Tomlinson. As much as I've been arguing in favor of keeping Bradbury, if we have to decide between the two, I'd rather bring back Tomlinson. He's a perfect scheme fit, and was a high level player when he was on the field last year. He'll probably price himself out of range for us, but I can dream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm a big fan of bringing back Tomlinson. As much as I've been arguing in favor of keeping Bradbury, if we have to decide between the two, I'd rather bring back Tomlinson. He's a perfect scheme fit, and was a high level player when he was on the field last year. He'll probably price himself out of range for us, but I can dream.

I agree. If we have to put money somewhere, I’d rather bring back Tomlinson. If he doesn’t return, I think this spot is a top priority in round one. Frankly, I’m not opposed to bringing back Tomlinson and spending a first on the position. If we’re building up the defense and it’s going to take a couple of years, I’d focus first on having a really good DL. 

• Like 2

OTC projections are quite laughable for both Tomlinson and Payne.

I'm for re-signing DT and playing him at the 4i. I'm curious for Flores press conference next week to see if he'll shed any light on how he sees current personnel and where they fit for him.

On the flip-side, I read that contracts with void years don't count for potential compensatory picks. I did not know that so if DT walks we'd get nothing.

23 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

OTC projections are quite laughable for both Tomlinson and Payne.

I'm for re-signing DT and playing him at the 4i. I'm curious for Flores press conference next week to see if he'll shed any light on how he sees current personnel and where they fit for him.

On the flip-side, I read that contracts with void years don't count for potential compensatory picks. I did not know that so if DT walks we'd get nothing.

Spotrac lists Tomlinson's market value as $8.5M (which certainly would be reasonable, but seems low).  But, Payne wouldn't surprise me (they list him at $19.8M), because he's only going to be 26, whereas Tomlinson turns 29 at the end of this month.  Da'Ron suffers from the Garrett Bradbury disease, as this was his first "breakout" year.  While he's been okay, teams are going to question whether this was just the dreaded contract year syndrome...but there likely will be someone who will bet on him to continue...and that will be big money.  

Edited by swede700

With Flores’ propensity to blitz, I feel like having that dominant pass rusher on the front line is less important than if they had stuck with Donatell or a similar system. 

If they can bring back Tomlinson, and get a big nose tackle in the draft (Ika 🙏), then a front three consisting of Tomlinson, NT, and Phillips would be a wall. And it would make for a lot of easy matchups for the pass rushers. 

• Like 3

On 2/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, SemperFeist said:

With Flores’ propensity to blitz, I feel like having that dominant pass rusher on the front line is less important than if they had stuck with Donatell or a similar system. 

If they can bring back Tomlinson, and get a big nose tackle in the draft (Ika 🙏), then a front three consisting of Tomlinson, NT, and Phillips would be a wall. And it would make for a lot of easy matchups for the pass rushers. 

I mean if we are going to blitz as much as we think, I just want one that is consistently going to eat up some double teams.