NFL HOF being watered down

bucksavage1

17 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I've heard him cop to it twice in the last year. He doesn't even make excuses for it, just admits he never wanted any part of it.

If you think tackling is to cornerbacks as running is to a pocket QB like Brees, then I see where our difference of opinion comes from.

I just don't think it's as bad as he makes it out to be.

38 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I just don't think it's as bad as he makes it out to be.

I'm not trying to say Deion wasn't great. I just feel like someone needed to provide the other side of this argument. I'm just getting super tired of Deion acting like he's the golden god of football and has no flaws. He's starting to remind me of Lavar Ball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Wow... You couldn't be more wrong. Deion's WORST season is better than any of Champ's best...

53 vs 52 int as a player who baited QBs into throwing to their side of the field vs a player that shut down their side of the field. 832 tackles vs 254. One of these two players was the better football player and the other was a much louder personality. 

I couldn’t find any target rate info for them as it was prior to next Gen stats being such a thing. Memory and impressions are being leaned on heavily. If you want a highlight reel you take Deion, if you wanted a complete football player that helps you every week win games and doesn’t create distractions then you pick Champ. The distance between them is far smaller than the media leads you to believe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leoric said:

53 vs 52 int as a player who baited QBs into throwing to their side of the field vs a player that shut down their side of the field. 832 tackles vs 254. One of these two players was the better football player and the other was a much louder personality. 

I couldn’t find any target rate info for them as it was prior to next Gen stats being such a thing. Memory and impressions are being leaned on heavily. If you want a highlight reel you take Deion, if you wanted a complete football player that helps you every week win games and doesn’t create distractions then you pick Champ. The distance between them is far smaller than the media leads you to believe. 

You don't want to see the targets and completions against numbers. They will hurt for you to see.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

You don't want to see the targets and completions against numbers. They will hurt for you to see.

It’s like, there’s a reason he has so many more tackles, and it’s not necessarily all because Deion sucked at tackling… all you have to do is think about it for a second. 

3 hours ago, Leoric said:

If you want a highlight reel you take Deion, if you wanted a complete football player that helps you every week win games and doesn’t create distractions then you pick Champ. 

So the guy who scored in all three phases of the game and in consecutive seasons pushed two separate contenders over the hump to win a championship, was the guy who was less complete and didn’t help you win games? 

31 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

So the guy who scored in all three phases of the game and in consecutive seasons pushed two separate contenders over the hump to win a championship, was the guy who was less complete and didn’t help you win games? 

How many of those games did he play in those back to back championship seasons? How many different teams did he bounce around? How many 16 game seasons did he play? Great player.  Not my goat CB. For the era (Back when you could touch a receiver)  Darrel Green, both Woodsons and Champ are all a cluster of players that should be talked about together. 

Maybe this game just stands out in my memory too much when thinking of Deion and I’m unfairly harsh of him. 

Edited by Leoric

5 minutes ago, Leoric said:

How many of those games did he play in those back to back championship seasons?

How many did the winner Champ Bailey play in during his championship seasons?

How many different teams did he bounce around? How many 16 game seasons did he play?

Is that relevant to him being both a more complete football player and more of a winner, than Bailey? 

Great player.  Not my goat CB.

Lol. 

For the era (Back when you could touch a receiver)  Darrel Green, both Woodsons and Champ are all a cluster of players that should be talked about together. 

They are largely talked about together.

As CBs below Deion Sanders. Quick question, how many completions did Champ Bailey allow in 2006?

Sanders is the greatest cover corner of all time, but IMO a bit overrated because his weakness tackling and lack of aggressiveness in supporting the run defense. The 1990s were a time when rush defense was as important as pass defense, so I don't think you can give Sanders a pass on that aspect of his game. 

Sanders also was fortunate to surround himself with strong defenses that often had a lead due to great offense, so his strengths as a pass defender were accentuated. In other situations his weaknesses would be more exposed. 

IMO Rod Woodson has a claim as best CB/DB next to Sanders. Not quite as great in coverage, but was an awesome hitter and transitioned to become an awesome safety. He had 5 all-pros as CB, including 3 with Sanders 92-94. Woodson was all-pro over Sanders in 90. Both have a DPOY.