RUMOR: Vance Joseph to be let go?

.Buzz

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Allbright's a guy who just throws a ton of crap to the wall and sees what sticks.

When he says it's not even confirmed, seems like smoke...for this week.

Whether VJ survives at end of season, on the other hand....that's another story.

Ehh, I've been following Allbright for a while now. He's been pretty damn goos for a while now as far as reliability. Has been way ahead of guys like Schefter and Rappoport quite often on things.

26 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Ehh, I've been following Allbright for a while now. He's been pretty damn goos for a while now as far as reliability. Has been way ahead of guys like Schefter and Rappoport quite often on things.

Plus, give the guy some love...didn't he used to be one of us on this board? Reality_Check, I think? 

Letting Vance go would require Elway to admit he messed up and I don't see him doing that right now. This is the guy who once thanked himself after all at a press conference... Mike McCoy could be let go because it could be pinned as a Vance move if it completely fails. Which I guess could be used by Elway as a reason to let Vance go too. It's the ego of men that run greatness into the ground more often than it maintains it. 

10 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Letting Vance go would require Elway to admit he messed up and I don't see him doing that right now. This is the guy who once thanked himself after all at a press conference... Mike McCoy could be let go because it could be pinned as a Vance move if it completely fails. Which I guess could be used by Elway as a reason to let Vance go too. It's the ego of men that run greatness into the ground more often than it maintains it. 

This is true, but frankly, if the team goes 3-13/4-12, I don't think Elway has a choice. It won't be all Vance's fault, but those are the breaks. With people not coming to the stadium already, you can see the direction this is trending.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

This is true, but frankly, if the team goes 3-13/4-12, I don't think Elway has a choice. It won't be all Vance's fault, but those are the breaks. With people not coming to the stadium already, you can see the direction this is trending.

Re: Albright you guys are more familiar with his past so I’ll take your word for it.  

Re: VJ being let go at years end, one out Elway has in saving face on admitting a big mistake is getting an O minded HC is even more apparent as a need.   While keeping Joe Woods as DC.   Normally as others have pointed out a team should never can a HC after only 1 season if personnel is the biggest issue.   But this upcoming offseason in FA and draft likely re-defines what our O looks like so having the true long term HC/OC is crucial enough to merit a change.  

Elway can point to a “fresh set of eyes” to overhaul the O along with bringing in a new QB.   It’s a real risk Elway will want to give VJ one more offseason though.  If VJ wasn’t a D-minded guy background-wise I’d say it was better than 50-50 he stays as coaches rarely get canned after only 1 season.  But the mandate of changing the O on a wide scale does leave a clear out.  

Elway’s greatest strength can also be a weakness - he was fearless in going with a  D-minded “leader of men” rather than an O minded guy.  That strength has also allowed him to admit his failures and change his stripes when needed (SB48, from heavy O-minded roster to heavy-D and parting ways with Fox).   Still much like draft control this hire is his personal stamp - so it takes a lot more to admit if it’s a complete failure (but changing his Day 1-2 draft style and the HC are both necessary to recognize for sure).    But as @broncos67 said if we go 3-13 or 4-12 it might leave him no choice.

I wouldn't be surprised - it looks like Elway has to clean house and he might decide to get it done now rather than waiting to the end of the season - it gives the Broncos first dibs on a potential HC hire (and front office). And I wouldn't be surprised if Kubiak came back as the interim HC.

However, there is one downside with canning Joseph now or at the end of the season - it might put off potential HCs from coming to Denver - Elway is already being called the 'killer of coaches'. As a result, imo, it couldn't be ruled out that Kubiak comes back as full-time HC as a result.

5 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I wouldn't be surprised - it looks like Elway has to clean house and he might decide to get it done now rather than waiting to the end of the season - it gives the Broncos first dibs on a potential HC hire (and front office). And I wouldn't be surprised if Kubiak came back as the interim HC.

However, there is one downside with canning Joseph now or at the end of the season - it might put off potential HCs from coming to Denver - Elway is already being called the 'killer of coaches'. As a result, imo, it couldn't be ruled out that Kubiak comes back as full-time HC as a result.

Kubiak won't be coming back as HC. I'm nearly 100% certain that won't happen. That said, I could easily see Kubiak moving into a personnel role under Elway that's a little more formalized with more responsibility for drafting and the like. I don't think Kubiak wants the stress of coaching anymore.

VJ deserves to get fired.  It has been a horrible season...I mean, no fight at all.  I would be okay being 3-8 if the team at least played hard.  The fact that they aren't playing hard is a coaching thing. 

With that said, who becomes the next coach?  Jeff Fisher?  You'd assume Elway would go back towards a veteran coach?  Maybe Marvin Lewis if gets his walking papers?  He is a good coach I think.  He just got a bad hand in having to coach the Bengals.  

Archived