RUMOR: Vance Joseph to be let go?

.Buzz

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

VJ deserves to get fired.  It has been a horrible season...I mean, no fight at all.  I would be okay being 3-8 if the team at least played hard.  The fact that they aren't playing hard is a coaching thing. 

With that said, who becomes the next coach?  Jeff Fisher?  You'd assume Elway would go back towards a veteran coach?  Maybe Marvin Lewis if gets his walking papers?  He is a good coach I think.  He just got a bad hand in having to coach the Bengals.  

A couple names I think would merit watching:

Jim Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, Dave Toub, Mike Smith, Matt LaFleur, Jim Bob Cooter, Teryl Austin, Steve Spagnuolo

14 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

VJ deserves to get fired.  It has been a horrible season...I mean, no fight at all.  I would be okay being 3-8 if the team at least played hard.  The fact that they aren't playing hard is a coaching thing. 

With that said, who becomes the next coach?  Jeff Fisher?  You'd assume Elway would go back towards a veteran coach?  Maybe Marvin Lewis if gets his walking papers?  He is a good coach I think.  He just got a bad hand in having to coach the Bengals.  

Jeff Fisher would be one of the few guys who'd probably be worse than our current situation.   This is the same guy who defended Kerry Collins as his starting QB despite an 0-6 start - only to then replace him with Vince Young and watch the team go 8-2 for the RoS.  All because the owner forced him.  This is the same Jeff Fisher who focused on "no false starts" and "we have the highest punting yardage" as reasons that the O wasn't bad post-game.   Fisher's teams had the 2nd-highest penalty yards over his 16-team career as a NFL coach - and worst in his 4 years as a LA Rams coach.    Fisher couldn't even identify the right players on the opposing teams on some weeks (his infamous "Danny & Brandon" 2016 comment for NE's RB's in interviews on who he was preparing for - when it was Legarrette Blount, Dion Lewis & James White - and Danny Woodhead hadn't played for NE since 2012).   

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/jeff-fisher-coaching-career-nfl-losses-rams-titans-mediocrity-120816

The best way to sum up Jeff Fisher as a coach comes from his most recent LA QB's....

No to recycled name-guys.  None of those guys who are available address our problems (Marvin Lewis a huge no...zero accountability and hasn't adapted to the game, not as bad as Fisher but not at all what we need).

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

A couple names I think would merit watching:

Jim Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, Dave Toub, Mike Smith, Matt LaFleur, Jim Bob Cooter, Teryl Austin, Steve Spagnuolo

Lafleur would be the O-minded guy with Cooter (but I think Lafleur would be a better fit, given he learned under the Shanahan system in ATL and has now learned from McVay in LA...without the Shanahan name lol).   Only knock against both is lack of high-level OC experience (Cooter is now 1.5 seasons, Lafleur's 1st).   Toub, Schwartz and Austin would be great choices....but wouldn't fit the O-genius mold we'd probably need to sell the move after 1 year.    Harbaugh seems too strong of a personality for Elway to sign off on IMO (and he still seems very stable in Michigan, despite the lifetime contract news this weekend being fake).

I think we should keep him around until the season ends. Mostly to show coaching candidates that Elway doesn't make midseason fires, which will improve our attractiveness as a destination. And also to ensure this team doesn't get some sort of second wind with Vance out the door and win a bunch of games.

But he absolutely should be fired after the season ends. I never expected a great season, but I absolutely didn't expect this. Its unacceptable for the Denver Broncos to lose 7 games in a row, many of them quite winnable.

With a new coach and one of Darnold/Rosen (Or even Barkley) we can right this ship in a summer IMO.

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Lafleur would be the O-minded guy with Cooter (but I think Lafleur would be a better fit, given he learned under the Shanahan system in ATL and has now learned from McVay in LA...without the Shanahan name lol).   Only knock against both is lack of high-level OC experience (Cooter is now 1.5 seasons, Lafleur's 1st).   Toub, Schwartz and Austin would be great choices....but wouldn't fit the O-genius mold we'd probably need to sell the move after 1 year.    Harbaugh seems too strong of a personality for Elway to sign off on IMO (and he still seems very stable in Michigan, despite the lifetime contract news this weekend being fake).

Maybe Harbaugh would leave since he can't beat OSU. SMH.

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think we should keep him around until the season ends. Mostly to show coaching candidates that Elway doesn't make midseason fires, which will improve our attractiveness as a destination. And also to ensure this team doesn't get some sort of second wind with Vance out the door and win a bunch of games.

But he absolutely should be fired after the season ends. I never expected a great season, but I absolutely didn't expect this. Its unacceptable for the Denver Broncos to lose 7 games in a row, many of them quite winnable.

With a new coach and one of Darnold/Rosen (Or even Barkley) we can right this ship in a summer IMO.

I agree with this 100%. I think with a solid HC/staff and an elite offensive player we can right this ship. The problem is we have to hit on those things and with Elway, my confidence in him has been shaken.

2 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

I like VJ - we need talent, and under his leadership we will get it. Keep this guy around another year or two so we can rebuild the roster. 

Why do you like him?

6 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

I like VJ - we need talent, and under his leadership we will get it. Keep this guy around another year or two so we can rebuild the roster. 

I disagree in today's NFL having a complete roster is very wishful thinking heck having close to a complete roster is wishful thinking. It trickles down the college game is a spread game and it's watered down so it trickles down to the Nfl level.

What this team needs is an identity.  They needed VJ to put his stamp on things. I can't think of one thing he put his stamp on in a positive way. This team needs a coach that gets more from the players. Gary Kubiak did that in a lot of ways.  Going from 9 and 7 to where we are now isn't close to good enough. I think with Vance where just killing time.

At this point VJ would be an absolute scapegoat. Look at it realistically. Any HC we hire would insist on selecting his staff, OC's and DC's included.

IMO a large reason Elway selected VJ was because he could also dictate the staff and who did what. VJ didn't select McCoy, Woods, ................ Elway picked and hired 'em all. Anyway, until Elway turns all on field decisions over to a HC we're stuck. There's only so much a GM can and should do. Elways gone way past that line.

We'll probably never know whether or not VJ can be a good HC in Denver. That's his title, sure but his main role is press conference flak catcher and fall guy.

Do you guys seriously think any top candidates will come here if Elway starts dictating staff hires? I think not.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Haha. Well done.

40 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

At this point VJ would be an absolute scapegoat. Look at it realistically. Any HC we hire would insist on selecting his staff, OC's and DC's included.

IMO a large reason Elway selected VJ was because he could also dictate the staff and who did what. VJ didn't select McCoy, Woods, ................ Elway picked and hired 'em all. Anyway, until Elway turns all on field decisions over to a HC we're stuck. There's only so much a GM can and should do. Elways gone way past that line.

We'll probably never know whether or not VJ can be a good HC in Denver. That's his title, sure but his main role is press conference flak catcher and fall guy.

Do you guys seriously think any top candidates will come here if Elway starts dictating staff hires? I think not.

That's a good point about the staff hiring. Yeah, I feel bad for VJ. I mean I don't think he has what it takes as of now, but it's a tough spot to be in. 

I think there’s some weird atmosphere between Elway and the players (particularly the defense).

Between those weird rumors of him and Talib arguing at practise on Thursday, Chris Harris basically admitting the defense quit on the team against the Eagles, Derek Wolfe and (I think) Shane Ray’s adverse comments about the commissioner, Brandon Marshall’s twitter account and the defense literally mailing it in yesterday. I’m not sure if it’s the anthem thing, or the defense has finally got tired of carrying the offense and special team, or something else. I think Elway has lost the confidence of the players.

Here is an off the wall thought -

Elway and Kubiak sat down at the end of last year - they decide that this team has too many holes to fix. They decide that the team needs to tank the season and get a shot at a QB but they don't want Kubiak to take the fall for a bad season. Kubiak 'retires' and Elway hires VJ. - then Elway brings Kubiak back into the organisation in a new capacity. As expected, the Broncos have a disaster of a season - Elway makes Joseph the scapegoat and sacks him. Kubiak comes back in as HC with a high draft pick and motivates the players to get the job done.

Am I being cynical or am I being cynical ?

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Here is an off the wall thought -

Elway and Kubiak sat down at the end of last year - they decide that this team has too many holes to fix. They decide that the team needs to tank the season and get a shot at a QB but they don't want Kubiak to take the fall for a bad season. Kubiak 'retires' and Elway hires VJ. - then Elway brings Kubiak back into the organisation in a new capacity. As expected, the Broncos have a disaster of a season - Elway makes Joseph the scapegoat and sacks him. Kubiak comes back in as HC with a high draft pick and motivates the players to get the job done.

Am I being cynical or am I being cynical ?

Yup, that's pretty cynical.

Archived