2023 Roster - some thoughts

KC_Guy

22 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

I drafted an OT early to either replace OBJ in 2024 or to have a long term option at RT - depending on how the OBJ signing process goes. If the team has to franchise OBJ again I think he'll be gone next year the latest.

The team can only do two franchise tags. 

17 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The team can only do two franchise tags. 

Nope. There's a third option ... but that one is prohibitively expensive ...
But my thought was - if they have to franchise him again .. there won't be a long term deal.

That was what I thought when they franchised him before this season. I consider him gone until they announce otherwise.

The team may think that one of the rostered players can handle LT, eg Thuney, Niang, or Wanogho. Otherwise we will have to sign one as a FA.

There is no one within reach in this draft who would be ready to start in September. Only Paris Johnson looks plug and play and we don't have the draft capital to get him. Anton Harrison and Cody Mauch have longer term potential, but also a lot of work to do. Harrison needs strength and Mauch faces a steep learning curve. 

This article has five areas that the team needs to address this offseason, listed below. I'll buy the first three. I would add figure out our TE of the future. I also want to know their plans for Frank Clark. If he's gone then DL moves to #1.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/2/20/23606264/2023-nfl-offseason-ranking-chiefs-top-5-needs

1. Figure out offensive tackles
  2. Establish a plan for wide receivers
  3. Add to the defensive line
  4. Round out the defensive backfield
  5. Find the next veteran running back

What would your priorities be? 

Someone sell me on the WR corps next year as it stands right now. Here are my thoughts:

MVS: He nearly had a career year. His 687 yards was decent enough as a #2, but his 51.9% catch % is bad. He's due 11mil this year and we can save 7mil cutting him. He came up big in the AFCCC game when he had to. History shows though, that was the exception and not the rule.

Toney: When he plays, he can be electric. He had 171 yards on 17 targets here with a catch % of 82.4%. His punt return in the Super Bowl won't be forgotten anytime soon. But he has shown time and time again that he can't be relied on to stay healthy. He's missed a total of 15 games out of 34 so far to start his career. He missed 7 games in college on top of that. You can't rely on him to be there week to week.

Moore: Did he improve? Yes. He stepped up and made a play in the playoffs when he had to. But his route running and knowledge(?) are still lacking. 1/4 of Mahomes' INTs were thrown when targeting Skyy. They were just never on the same page. His catch % of 66.7% isn't bad, but I'd say average. I saw nothing from him to give me confidence that he'll take the next step.

John Ross: Someone who got drafted on speed alone, one pick prior to Mahomes. The Bengals needed a WR at the time and he couldn't get it done. He joined the Giants, who are also in big need of a WR, and he couldn't get it done there either. He is/was fast and that's really it.

Smith-Marsette: I liked him as Hardman's replacement coming out of the draft. He only got 6 targets in Minnesota but he caught 5 of those for 116yds for an 83.3% catch %. I'm not even going to judge his last year in Chicago, because that team in general... yikes. If he can pick up the playbook he may be able to contribute on the back end of the depth chart.

Powell: He has 3 offensive snaps total. 0 targets.

Ealy: He has 0 snaps, appears to be a WR/RB hybrid atm, and is only 5'8. Not sure why he's listed at WR tbh.

Fryfogle: I liked him as a potential X coming out of the draft. He was waived from the Cowboys, who have a much better WR room than us. All potential but I would consider him like Smith-Marsette as back end depth right now.

Justyn Ross: I loved this kid in college and coming out. He should have been a for sure 1st rounder, zero doubt. But injuries are a theme with this group. We put him on IR for a foot injury he incurred during his senior season. The main injury concern though is his neck/spinal surgery he had to have. He could become a legit #1 WR if he can get/stay healthy and return to old form. But that's a huge if.

How I see it today going into the 2023 season:

#1 WR: none barring a healthy Justyn Ross breakout

#2 WR: MVS (at best, #3 most games), Toney (if/when healthy)

#3 WR: Moore (maybe #4 but I'm feeling generous), Smith-Marsette (if he picks up the playbook)

#4 WR: FryFogle (potential to be higher)

#5 WR: Powell, John Ross (doubt either makes the team)

#10 WR: Ealy (not a WR imo)

As of right now..  it’s tough.   We have nice pieces, but the puzzle isn’t there. 

Toney/Skyy are nice because they are versatile.   They can play multiple spots and do a lot of the jet sweeps/motions.    In a perfect world they our are 3/4.   But I’m comfortable with this as a 2/3.   Both can slide in and out of formations.  

MVS.    Man I don’t really want to keep him,   But that creates a massive hole.    I do hope we bring 2 young WR’s in this year,   And sign 2 vets.    1 vet if we decide to keep MVS.      If we get out of forcing Skyy/Toney into specific spots,  and let them use the versatility.  I think we can downgrade on who we unofficially call the starters.

The real question is what the coaches saw from Moore in practice. He was best suited in the same role as JuJu, which definitely hurt his chances of seeing the field as a rookie. He got forced into taking some of the Toney/Hardman plays instead, which is not his skillset. If his development behind the scenes is on schedule, I would expect the plan next year to be Moore #1, MVS #2, Toney #3/slot/gadget, and then you have plenty of options for the depth behind that (bring back Hardman, bring back Watson, draft, low end free agents, Ross or one of the other low roster guys stepping up a tiny bit.) If Moore has not developed well behind the scenes, you need to bring back JuJu or add someone else at least for reliability at the #1 spot. Don't think we need a gamebreaker there, given how well we did with just JuJu, but we do need someone reliable on third downs and such. I know not everyone loved MVS, but he did what the team asked of him for the most part. Would've been nice to have him and Mahomes hit on a slightly higher percentage of the deep shots, but honestly his role if you watched the tape wasn't really to catch a ton of passes as much as it was to run the deep clear out routes to help JuJu/Kelce and others get open underneath. He wasn't normally schemed to actually get the ball, but he had the speed to threaten something teams had to respect, at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Someone sell me on the WR corps next year as it stands right now. Here are my thoughts:

MVS: He nearly had a career year. His 687 yards was decent enough as a #2, but his 51.9% catch % is bad. He's due 11mil this year and we can save 7mil cutting him. He came up big in the AFCCC game when he had to. History shows though, that was the exception and not the rule.

Toney: When he plays, he can be electric. He had 171 yards on 17 targets here with a catch % of 82.4%. His punt return in the Super Bowl won't be forgotten anytime soon. But he has shown time and time again that he can't be relied on to stay healthy. He's missed a total of 15 games out of 34 so far to start his career. He missed 7 games in college on top of that. You can't rely on him to be there week to week.

Moore: Did he improve? Yes. He stepped up and made a play in the playoffs when he had to. But his route running and knowledge(?) are still lacking. 1/4 of Mahomes' INTs were thrown when targeting Skyy. They were just never on the same page. His catch % of 66.7% isn't bad, but I'd say average. I saw nothing from him to give me confidence that he'll take the next step.

Justyn Ross: I loved this kid in college and coming out. He should have been a for sure 1st rounder, zero doubt. But injuries are a theme with this group. We put him on IR for a foot injury he incurred during his senior season. The main injury concern though is his neck/spinal surgery he had to have. He could become a legit #1 WR if he can get/stay healthy and return to old form. But that's a huge if.

That's enough there, though you should add Justin Watson who will likely re-sign. Glue guys are important and this team always has them. 

In the last year, the Chiefs have secured their reputation as a place to go to repair careers. Veteran WR may be willing to do what JuJu did and give us a cheap one-year deal to earn the sort of payout JuJu is set to haul in. I do no expect the team to spend a pick in the top 3 rounds on WR. The WR room needs depth, not headliners though a headliner would not get turned away.

TE is a different story. I could see a pick in any round, even trading up in the 1st for Michael Mayer.

I think there's 0 chance we pay MVS 11mil next year. Honestly we're in a prime position to get those 1 year deal from veteran wideouts who want to bet on themselves. I think we'll keep doing that for WR #2s - which realistically the third option in our offense where Kelce is the #1 guy. If we're comfortable with his health status, someone like DJ Chark could be added for half that salary.

The big question imho is what Jakuvious said - are we comfortable enough to have Sky Moore start in Juju place. If we need to pay Juju, that's even less money we can allocate to other wideouts. And I'd rather spend money on tackles than on MVS.

The thing about MVS is he fills a hole in this offense. Without him we have no “reliable”(stays healthy) deep threat. That’s essential to keep the illusion of throwing deep and keep defenses honest to allow the underneath game to work. 

Yeah his catch percentage is low, but he’s a known commodity in the league as a speed guy. I don’t think Justin Watson can be that guy, I feel like his catch percentage is even lower lol. Hardman maybe if we bring him back.

• Like 1