Best Detective/Mystery films All Time?

Ozzy

On 2/11/2023 at 8:12 PM, Ozzy said:

That is an all timer, I however might have watched it too much so it loses a bit at times because of that.   I must say Manhunter (1986) not Red Dragon 2002, the original Manhunter based off the Red Dragon book, a few of those scenes honestly are more freaky to me than almost anything in Silence of the Lambs outside of that basement scene.  Manhunter is super scary and a great crime story but obviously the story is it all and is the same writer Thomas Harris.  

I always loved Red Dragon and have seen it at least 6 times. Watched Manhunter last night, only the 2nd time. Definitely a scarier vibe, in a perfect world I’d combine casts. I like William Petersen a lot. Then aside from Hopkins and Fiennes I prefer most of the Manhunter cast. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, Ozzy said:

No problem man, I was wanting your opinion and thanks for sharing it.

Chinatown sucked last time I watched it, maybe I have to re-watch it but was never super interested in it when I first saw it.  Just because one smokes and has dim lighting does not make it a great detective story.   And visually it is **** compared to Blade Runner, No Country for Old Men etc.  Just does not hold up to me and there is a reason it is not always shown on TV like say The Fugitive which was just on yesterday!  

The Big Lebowski again he is not a detective he is a person trying to solve and discover parts of a story.  Fargo, well not sure that Marge is a great detective, and honestly the comedy tone of the movie hurts it for me in terms of making it a great detective story, especially when the criminals are funny aka Steve Buscemi.  So yes that is why I did not include Fargo and I did state that in the original post.  

As for the original Murder on the Orient Express 1974 or even the crappy new one, I am not a huge fan of the "who done it" types with all of these characters like the game Clue or something.  Mind you the movie Clue 1985 is an amazing film and Tim Curry is amazing in it.  Mind you it has the crazy hot 'Yvette', she alone is worth watching the movie!

colleen-camp.gif  tumblr_m8phjlRU7L1rdutw3o1_500.gif

PS I did mention the Conversation with regards to Gene Hackman in a reply from a post in the thread.  Did not include it for obvious reasons, PS The French Connection is awful boring I must say and saw The French Connection II today a little and that is even more boring, no offense to Gene.  Nothing beats Gene in Mississippi Burning, super Badass cop and freaking amazing film honestly.

SameFormalCrownofthornsstarfish-size_res

Insomnia is the 2002 one, never knew there was another but Al Pacino I love in it and I also love Robin Williams in it, one of his best films easily and a great role for him.  I have not seen that movie in forever and need to watch it.   Lord of Illusions is a stretch but he was a private investigator and I do think that is a crazy original and unique film that just never held up because they had some awful graphics at points in the film, but super cool Neo-Noir type detective story

"

"Laura, M, The Big Sleep, Vertigo, The Maltese Falcon, Out of the Past, The Third Man,  High and Low anybody? Stray Dog?"    I have not seen any of these movies sadly but on quick glance not sure any seem all that good but maybe I should check them out.  Which one is worth it actually because there is a reason they are not crazy popular currently and I like old movies but not all old movies are good movies.  Fallen I have seen and I would take Denzel in Devil in a Blue Dress and The Pelican Brief all day over him in Fallen which is not well known for a reason.  

As for no detective movies before the 90s, very hard to dislike Prisoners that is a damn awesome film and Gyllenhaal is a great down on his luck detective in that one!  Also No Country for Old Men is sweet but sure Tommy Lee Jones is probably not in it enough and the main character is more of the detective and Tommy just narrates.  

Memories of Murder, I liked that movie no question but I believe I had it as a 3 star not 4 or 5 star.  Was good just not great, Joon Ho I love and he made Snowpiercer so he has skills no question.  Parasite is crazy overrated though, Kango-ho I like a lot as well he is really good.  The Wailing is probably my favorite Korean made film all time, that could maybe be a detective movie potentially, might have to think on that one.  But I guess that is a horror film with the zombie stuff.  That director also made The Chaser which is great and The Yellow Sea which is ok but not great.  

Thanks for your thoughts my man!  Glad you put in your two cents.  Maybe I have have to watch Chinatown again sometime just for you!  By the way I am probably the ONLY other person on here that has even seen Memories of Murder!  And clearly the original True Detectives took many scenes from that film with the dim lighting and the grassy fields of the crime scene.  

Memories of murder is a fantastic movie! Love me some Korean movies. The Wailing is a really good movie, but like you mentioned more horror. The Chaser is good. From a detective genre I also like: 

I Saw the Devil

Confession of Murder

Non Korean movie that I enjoy that’s a detective genre - Zodiac, Se7en, Memento, Shutter Island, Mystic River, Gone baby gone, The Departed, Prisoners, Identity, and The Game. 

Almost anything David Fincher does. I was excited for Mindhunters but Netflix pulled the plug…

Edited by StevenK

12 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Memories of murder is a fantastic movie! Love me some Korean movies. The Wailing is a really good movie, but like you mentioned more horror. The Chaser is good. From a detective genre I also like: 

I Saw the Devil

Confession of Murder

Non Korean movie that I enjoy that’s a detective genre - Zodiac, Se7en, Memento, Shutter Island, Mystic River, Gone baby gone, The Departed, Prisoners, Identity, and The Game. 

Almost anything David Fincher does. I was excited for Mindhunters but Netflix pulled the plug…

If you haven’t seen MindHunter I encourage that you do. First season is top 5 all time for me.

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

I Saw the Devil

Confession of Murder

I just watched "I Saw the Devil"  good film and I liked it, powerful scenes but no way would I call that a detective film, that is like calling John Wick a detective film.  No they are gore revenge films really.  

If I recall correctly The Wailing is WAY more detective like then I Saw the Devil.  But is scary also with some supernatural so is a hard call.

11 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

How would you guys rank Korean detective films? I’ve seen Memories of Murder and would love to get into more. 

The Wailing was a better film I feel.  Memories of Murder was good but not as good as The Wailing.  The Chaser is a solid film also but not sure it is a detective film.