Andy Reid

Blackstar12

15 hours ago, john305 said:

Top 10 but not yet top 5. My top 5 in no particular order. 

1. Don Shula

2. Bill Walsh

3. Bill Belichick

4. Chuck Noll

5. Joe Gibbs

Anyone who goes 0-1 in the SB with Dan Marino in ten years when the AFC was a complete joke is not the GOAT coach. Give Parcells Marino and the Giants would have snatched a Super Bowl or two away from the Redskins or 49ers.

I can't wait for Belichick to break that bitter, spiteful and petty corpse's record.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 7

I think he's unquestionably top 10. It gets tough beyond that, though. He might be top 5 in the superbowl era. I don't really know how to compare him to like, Halas and Lombardi and Brown. But he's right there with Gibbs and Noll fighting for the bottom of the top 5. Would have Belichick, Walsh, and Shula as the only guys definitely above him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I think he's unquestionably top 10. It gets tough beyond that, though. He might be top 5 in the superbowl era. I don't really know how to compare him to like, Halas and Lombardi and Brown. But he's right there with Gibbs and Noll fighting for the bottom of the top 5. Would have Belichick, Walsh, and Shula as the only guys definitely above him.

Gibbs lacks the longevity of some of those guys, but 3 rings in 12 seasons (with another NFC championship thrown in) is top-level. The key of course with him is that he never coached a HOF-level QB — never even close. Winning those 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs, all of whom were mediocre (or worse) before Gibbs got a hold of them, that’s a feat that I doubt will ever be replicated. 

He fielded arguably the greatest team of all-time with Mark F. Rypien as the QB. That’s…impossible.

I have Big Red in the top 10 as well, but when it comes to Gibbs, I think the closer arguments are for moving him further up (vs the likes of Shula, Walsh, Noll) rather than further down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

Anyone who goes 0-1 in the SB with Dan Marino in ten years when the AFC was a complete joke is not the GOAT coach.

Anyone who has 2 Super Bowl wins one of which came after going undefeated and has more wins than any other coach in NFL history is certainly in the discussion. Also Marino was a play off choke artist who peaked early and was never as dominant as those first 4 years.

5 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Agreed

One of the most likeable coaches too

Yup. Him and Mahomes both seem like awesome dudes. Mahomes was really good last night, but Reid was masterful. What a combo they have in KC. Damn!

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, john305 said:

Anyone who has 2 Super Bowl wins one of which came after going undefeated and has more wins than any other coach in NFL history is certainly in the discussion. Also Marino was a play off choke artist who peaked early and was never as dominant as those first 4 years.

1. That 1972 team is the most overrated team in NFL history. They had a complete joke of a schedule.

2. I'm a big Marino critic, but one SB appearance and a four year stretch of no playoffs when the AFC was at its weakest falls on the coach as well.

3. Belichick is going to break Shula's record.