1. The Hoodie

2. Bill Walsh

3. Lombardi

4. Noll

5. Halas

6. Landry

7. John Madden

8. Reid

9. Gibbs (won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs? Awesome. I think his comeback dulled his remembrance and it isn't really right to me.

10. Bill Cowher (Parcells, Lambeau, or  Paul Brown probably deserve it more, but I was always a huge fan of Cowher). 

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

-salt warning-

If you need a GOAT-trajectory QB to get the kind of respect Andy only started getting these past few years, what does that say? McNabb and Vick were no slouches. I don’t remember people gushing over Andy’s genius in Philly.

https://www.nfl.com/photos/nfl-head-coach-power-rankings-0ap1000000208735 

Top 10 all time Andy being ranked just the 10th HC heading into 2013 alone….

Not even disagreeing with notion that he is an all timer, as right away in KC even w/ Alex Smith he was coaching better than he ever did in Philly, although this “all time” talk definitely didn’t pop up until the rings, which the best QB through 5 full seasons ever played a large role in… either way I’m growing VERY bitter towards him lol. Not only did he fail time and time again to get us a ring*, he now effortlessly has KC favorites every year to win, and already has 2. I guess the same way players develop, perhaps he simply evolved as well.

*and blaming McNabb is weak because it was Andy’s choice to build around McNabb, and his hand picked heir, Kolb, was garbage

Lombardi had Starr, Belichick had Brady, Landry had Staubach, Brown had Graham, Noll had Bradshaw, Walsh had Montana. Shula and Gibbs are maybe the two arguments you  could make, though where that helps Shula (winning superbowls with Griese) it also hurts him because he couldn't win a superbowl with Marino. And even Griese was still a hall of fame QB in the end.

The reality is, any top head coaches of all-time list is going to be full of guys who won superbowls when they had a hall of fame QB, and basically just stayed competitive when they didn't. None of them were winning multiple superbowls with mid-tier QBs. Tom Landry won 2 superbowls and made it to 5 with Roger Staubach as his QB. Never made it past the conference championship without him. Chuck Noll won 4 superbowls with Bradshaw, won 2 career playoff games without him. Bill Walsh retired before we ever got the chance to find out. Patriots sure look very mid-tier without Tom Brady.

Ultimately, if you're going to make this critique of Andy, you have to apply it to all the others down the list as well. Andy with McNabb or Alex Smith was no worse than Belichick with Bernie Kosar or Landry with Danny White or Noll with Bubby Brister. He was probably better than all of those, actually.

Though, fair or not, I think people just see a ring as a requirement for a QB or HC to get into that all-time conversation. So that's why he was never getting quite that level of hype in Philly, even though he was still doing great things there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Sure, but Mahomes is in a league of his own through 5 years. 

But you still can’t exclude it from the conversation - unless you’re going to do that for all the all-time great coaches. How many other coaches would have such HOF worthy resumes if we excluded the time “once the rings came” with their QBs?

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

But you still can’t exclude it from the conversation - unless you’re going to do that for all the all-time great coaches. How many other coaches would have such HOF worthy resumes if we excluded the time “once the rings came” with their QBs?

This. Belichick has a worse resume than Reid if you take away his Brady years when he was winning Super Bowls.

On 2/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, lancerman said:

This. Belichick has a worse resume than Reid if you take away his Brady years when he was winning Super Bowls.

I feel like Belicheck should get a higher %credit for first 2-3 superbowls.  Later when Brady was winning with avg defenses he gets more of the credit.  That's why most people will keep Belicheck ahead of Reid until Reid has more Superbowls. 

Reid's first superbowl he was carried by Mahomes the whole playoff.  Everytime we got down 10+ points Reid got that deer in the headlights blank stare like he was thinking "Its happening again to me".  Getting the monkey off his back has help Reid in high pressure situations.  He rarely make's the dump time management mistakes he was know for anymore,  He does still forget that you can run the ball sometimes.   

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, General Tso said:

If BB gets discredited for having Brady, should Reid get discredited for having Mahomes?

1. BB shouldn't be discredited for having Brady

2. Reid still had a lot of success with McNabb in Philly. Just not the final hump

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

If BB gets discredited for having Brady, should Reid get discredited for having Mahomes?

Difference is Reid has quite a bit of success without Mahomes, Bill Belichik was bad before Brady, and bad after Brady

• Like 4