The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

17 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's not a denial.  

You're right. Last year I was worried about us replacing JJAW and Reagor with bums. I was like "Howie, please don't replace these bums with different bums! Keep our current bums here!"

Makes no sense. Why would I worry about replacing Reagor or JJAW or Hightower with a bum? Not really the same as replacing Hargrave with a bum, is it? Your response was so stupid it didn't require a denial.

You seem to assume Howie can have an offseason like last year whenever he wants. He can't.

Edited by Jeezla

15 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

You're right. Last year I was worried about us replacing JJAW and Reagor with bums. I was like "Howie, please don't replace these bums with different bums! Keep our current bums here!"

Makes no sense. Why would I worry about replacing Reagor or JJAW or Hightower with a bum? Not really the same as replacing Hargrave with a bum, is it? Your response was so stupid it didn't require a denial.

You missed the entire reason for the post Jeezla. Last year at this time of the year you were complaining about how we were going to suck on offense.  Really as a team but offense! Only weapon we really had was Goedert and 2nd WR in Smitty but both were catching passes from Jalen Hurts. A QB who needed to be replaced in the draft.

By Week 1 the Eagles had not 1 but 2 potential #1 WR with the addition of AJ. No one believed in Sanders staying healthy, did. No one believed Hurts would take a step forward as a FQB,  did.

Things change.  Yes as of 3/19/23, there are more question marks then there was 2 weeks ago. That still doesn't mean holes won't and can't be filled YET AGAIN by week 1 of the NFL season.

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You missed the entire reason for the post Jeezla. Last year at this time of the year you were complaining about how we were going to suck on offense.  Really as a team but offense! Only weapon we really had was Goedert and 2nd WR in Smitty but both were catching passes from Jalen Hurts. A QB who needed to be replaced in the draft.

By Week 1 the Eagles had not 1 but 2 potential #1 WR with the addition of AJ. No one believed in Sanders staying healthy, did. No one believed Hurts would take a step forward as a FQB,  did.

Things change.  Yes as of 3/19/23, there are more question marks then there was 2 weeks ago. That still doesn't mean holes won't and can't be filled YET AGAIN by week 1 of the NFL season.

Yea, I thought Jalen Hurts would suck. That means the entire offense would have too. There is no player on D that can effect overall quality of the entire unit like a QB. Things can change. That also means they can get worse, and whether you like it or not, I like to discuss all potential outcomes, not just the ones with rainbows and fluffy bunnies. Us sucking (on defense) is very real possibility, and I'm going to continue bringing it up, even though the roster will add more guys. I'm also going to predict certain prospect will suck and be wrong about them. I'm going to say certain guys will be good, and be wrong. Won't stop me from trying to predict the future. There's going to be an offseason where I predict we kick *** even before the draft. I doubt anybody is going to give me crap about that when it happens. I doubt Nabbs is going to say "Jeezla, you can't say we'll be good, you haven't seen the full roster!".

Edited by Jeezla

There's a Massive Diffrence from always looking at everything in general as Glass 1/2 Empty rather then Glass 1/2 Full. Applies both in sports and life in general.

1/2 Full:  You take the positives and hope to one day fill your cup.

1/2 Empty: You dwell on the negatives and assume you never will.

Trade dem picks

going off what Howie likes to do, here is the list of guys scheduled to be free agents next year

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2024/all/all/

Quick glancing the list…

DL - Big needs

Jeffery Simmons
Surely they wouldn’t trade us one of their best players again, right?!?

Javon Kinlaw
Didn’t work out as they planned in SF, change of scenery type move.

Ed Oliver
Doubtful as Buffalo clings to this window they seem incapable of getting through.

LB - just sign Wagner

Devin White
Doubtful as since he’s a LB, has regressed since a dominant showing in 2020. But if we have two MLBs now, it’s a bigger need.

Lavonte David
Ditto, but slightly more likely I’d imagine.

DBs - Howie’s go to, trusts this than his own drafting of them

Darnell Savage
With Rodgers gone, do they become sellers?

Budda Baker
Seems ripe for a Howie trade target.

Noah Igbinoghene
Crowded defensive backfield, vaguely think there was a thing on them like ing him in the draft.

OL - Doubtful, but at the right price?

Jonah Williams
Wants a trade, probably could play G? Can’t remember if he did that at Bama.

Jon Runyan
Could Bring Junior home. 

RB - Doubtful, but if it’s cheap and you can use a pick next year, could see it as an option if they don’t get one in the draft.

D'Andre Swift
Doubtful he’d be back in Detroit, homerun type guy to pair with Penny. Philly guy too.

Derrick Henry
Not gonna happen, but it’s funny to picture Henry consistently not getting touched until 5/6 yards down the field.

8 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Declining Slay.
Declining Cox.
Brandon Graham gonna be 35 next month.
Replace CGJ with bums or a rookie.
Replace TJ Edwards with bums or a rookie.
Replace Hargrave with Milton (not far off from a bum)
Replace Suh/General DT depth with bums or rookies.
Injury prone Blankenship now a full time starter in place of Epps.
New DC.
New scheme?
Much tougher schedule.
Howie drafts like crap- particularly on defense.

What could go wrong?

All of those I listed as a reason for them taking a step back and winning ONLY 11 games next year.   I got flamed for it.  LOL

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I’m not surprised at all. Chauncey definitely overestimated his value on the open market. He screwed us and himself. Hopefully for his sake he has a great year with Detroit to get a better multi year deal than he was getting this off-season. The pairing of him and Kerby Joseph is really fun.

Yeah.  I can’t flame Howie for this.  And trust me, I’ll try to find a way when I can.   

3 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

All of those I listed as a reason for them taking a step back and winning ONLY 11 games next year.   I got flamed for it.  LOL

First off, through Jalen Hurts… all things are possible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

More ammo for the "Eagles got way worse on defense" writers/supporters. Which will be entirely annoying.

Well, so far that is pretty much the case. Personally I’m annoyed at the fact that so far we are way worse on defense than the people that point it out.

So far, the off season has been quite disappointing, I get that we were going to get worse regardless, but we chose to resign and extend players at 30 and older and this reeks of past mistakes of getting  too attached to older and declining players. The Cox contract looks worse and would much rather pay those 10M to CJGJ, same with the Slay contract.

I’m actually proud of Howie not chasing it with Chauncey. 

Turnovers are a very volatile stat, when you look at what else he did you see why the league didn’t want to pay him.

Would’ve been nice to not have another hole to fill obviously.

• Like 2