The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

2 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

That Cox deal is a bit worrisome if youre big on Jordan Davis. Making Cox, who at this point in his career should be coming off the bench with limited snaps, a priority in the offseason and giving him $10 million just doesnt look good at all.

Eh, they don’t really use them in the same spot and as an organization always value platooning along the DL. If they signed Linval back I’d take it more of a worry with Davis.

Not to say that can’t be part of it, Davis will need to step up. But the market was around there for DTs, he’s not counting against your comps. There are other logical reasons as well as sentimental ones that require less of a leap to get to.

One thing I was wondering….I’d have to look up what it was, but I’m sure he had dead money already with us this year, depending how they built the deal it might’ve just added to that number to get to 10m…whereas a new guy you’d have his $11/12m + Cox’s dead number. Just a thought of the why of the move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UndyTaker said:

Same here

I thought Davis was becoming a good player before he got hurt and then we signed Suh and Joseph before he could get back.

I have decent faith that he will be a good player.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Eh, they don’t really use them in the same spot and as an organization always value platooning along the DL. If they signed Linval back I’d take it more of a worry with Davis.

I think this statement right here is kind of why some of us are a bit worried about Jordan Davis tbh. Youre saying they dont play the same spot as in Davis is specifically used as a NT on a 5 man front.......which if thats the case then yeah they SHOULD resign Linval back because if Davis goes down with another injury then there goes your NT 5 man front. But I think the impression some of us got when we drafted Davis was that we were going to be able to turn this huge, super athletic dude into Cox's replacement. Someone that would dominate the run game but also someone that could push the pocket and give Olines a lot of trouble. We didnt see that at all last year. Even before his injury (which idk why when he got back from injury he was completely invisible because he didnt break anything, but w/e another argument for another day) he wasnt eye popping at all. I think I can remember 2 or 3 tackles he had in those 7 games. The point im trying to make is Davis should be playing the same spot as Cox and NT. This is the allure that got him drafted so high. If Davis is only going to be a NT with limited snaps, then we have much bigger problems at DT than we realized and the Cox resigning may be a sign of that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If I remember correctly he eventually took over the starting job and shortly after he got that HAS

I still maintain that we beat the redskins had he never got hurt. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If I remember correctly he eventually took over the starting job and shortly after he got that HAS

They started the game in a 5 man front. He never won the starting job over Cox or Hargrave.

42 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

I think this statement right here is kind of why some of us are a bit worried about Jordan Davis tbh. Youre saying they dont play the same spot as in Davis is specifically used as a NT on a 5 man front.......which if thats the case then yeah they SHOULD resign Linval back because if Davis goes down with another injury then there goes your NT 5 man front. But I think the impression some of us got when we drafted Davis was that we were going to be able to turn this huge, super athletic dude into Cox's replacement. Someone that would dominate the run game but also someone that could push the pocket and give Olines a lot of trouble. We didnt see that at all last year. Even before his injury (which idk why when he got back from injury he was completely invisible because he didnt break anything, but w/e another argument for another day) he wasnt eye popping at all. I think I can remember 2 or 3 tackles he had in those 7 games. The point im trying to make is Davis should be playing the same spot as Cox and NT. This is the allure that got him drafted so high. If Davis is only going to be a NT with limited snaps, then we have much bigger problems at DT than we realized and the Cox resigning may be a sign of that.

Specifically I mean you are probably using him more at zero or shaded inside 2i. By doing that it’s easier to disguise/shift in and out of your fronts.

Which best case scenario you build that front to do that.

Taking that big of a human and taking him away from the center of the play towards guys that are usually closer to his size is something you can do, but personally has never been something that seemed like the Eagles plan for him. IE an exact Fletcher Cox replacement.

We lost Hargrave who played more of that inside role (more than Fletch). Linval and Suh are gone. There are still a massive amount of snaps on the table. It just seems alarmist to attribute Fletch coming back to the lack of faith in Davis. Which again, I’m not saying that worry is without merit entirely, just that I think it’s a stretch to use this as proof the organization has the same feelings.

He played fine before the injury like @ninjapiratebrought up, and DT isn’t typically come in and dominate year one position in the league.

And beyond this we don’t know what the scheme is at this point. If it is a 3-4/5-2 Fangio style defense then Fletcher and Jordan are in different roles. Fletch moves to 3-4 end, where he played fine in when Chip was here. And Jordan is at NT, which in this sense is a much more expansive starting core part of that defense. And not a rotational heavy line thing. If they are doing that you want a giant athlete in the middle to make Nakobe and whoever else is in the middle’s job easy.