The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

2 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

You brought up your wife lol

I'm allowed. She's my wife lol I have heard all the horror stories of those who believe they had an addiction under control who lost everything over time when their liver gave out, or got pulled over by the boys in blue. It's not a great example. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

New posters welcome…………….

unless they have different opinions than the existing members.   

I'd say most have been extremely fun to discuss things with. This dude is just another RTK. Nothing too serious 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Health will deteriorate over time and when it does catch up, the price you pay will probably be everything positive in your life....does that answer your question? Wife is a nurse who specializes in helping people with addictions lol picked a real bad example to equate to the cap my friend because it doesn't fit. The real fit would be "I haven't had a mortgage at this point, and have lived a luxurious lifestyle the last few years. The house I've been renting a room from is about to become my financial responsibility (QB contracts)...problem is I spend from my bill money every paycheck, and have had the mentality I'll just put it on the credit card. Now that the responsibility is my own, my credit card payments are equal to my payments. I can now afford the house and the credit card, but will have to get a cheaper car and lessen my lifestyle spending. I can not continue to have my cake and eat it too, but am unwilling to step back and regroup my finances until the credit cards are caught up "

Obviously the comparison wasn’t to be taken literal. There’s parallels to be drawn even though they don’t make sense in real world scenarios. The analogy wasn’t about finances. It was about the perceived problem. I figured something like this would be a rebuttal. 

Point is, Howie has been doing this for a bit and has been successful with trophies to prove it. Every sky it falling post or sky will fall post are just predictions or arbitrary statements. Yes, that money will be due absolutely. Will it happen to make a difference fielding a competitive team? Only the future will tell. But so far, so good. Team dynamics change year to year. There’s no telling where Howie can pull, hide or pay money to even as soon as next year. I do love the capologists telling everyone what WILL happen when it’s pretty clear it hasn’t really damned the team. Howie clearly uses dead cap as a tool to get more talent on the roster today and is willing to pay for it tomorrow. (Remember that SB run we had?) Why that means it’s impending doom is beyond me. But I digress. 

It’s not like your analogy nailed it either. Howie’s not “renting”. He’s living a portion of his life on credit card for sure. But instead of the interest rate and loan terms that would be unfavorable for most normal American consumers that cost them dearly later, he happens to be making his own terms. As long as he lives within the parameters he clearly does a lot of work and research on, he should be ok. He borrows money from himself, pays it back with money tomorrow worth less than it is today for as little or as long as he likes. It’s a negative interest loan of his own money, paid or not paid, when he wants to pay it. Good for the NFL and for Howie, the cap is ever expanding yearly and there’s not end of the league date that Howie’s money is due. He can do this for as long as the NFL exists. 

2 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

New posters welcome…………….

unless they have different opinions than the existing members.   

I have never said or implied you weren't welcome - I stuck up for you all two weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Obviously the comparison wasn’t to be taken literal. There’s parallels to be drawn even though they don’t make sense in real world scenarios. The analogy wasn’t about finances. It was about the perceived problem. I figured something like this would be a rebuttal. 

Point is, Howie has been doing this for a bit and has been successful with trophies to prove it. Every sky it falling post or sky will fall post are just predictions or arbitrary statements. Yes, that money will be due absolutely. Will it happen to make a difference fielding a competitive team? Only the future will tell. But so far, so good. Team dynamics change year to year. There’s no telling where Howie can pull, hide or pay money to even as soon as next year. I do love the capologists telling everyone what WILL happen when it’s pretty clear it hasn’t really damned the team. Howie clearly uses dead cap as a tool to get more talent on the roster today and is willing to pay for it tomorrow. (Remember that SB run we had?) Why that means it’s impending doom is beyond me. But I digress. 

It’s not like your analogy nailed it either. Howie’s not “renting”. He’s living a portion of his life on credit card for sure. But instead of the interest rate and loan terms that would be unfavorable for most normal American consumers that cost them dearly later, he happens to be making his own terms. As long as he lives within the parameters he clearly does a lot of work and research on, he should be ok. He borrows money from himself, pays it back with money tomorrow worth less than it is today for as little or as long as he likes. It’s a negative interest loan of his own money, paid or not paid, when he wants to pay it. Good for the NFL and for Howie, the cap is ever expanding yearly and there’s not end of the league date that Howie’s money is due. He can do this for as long as the NFL exists. 

The rent aspect was equating not paying a QB a real salary at this point. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.  I don't agree with Howie being able to do this forever, and he has one ring to show with another visit which is extremely impressive. The thing I actually agree with most of you with is that this is what he needed to do to send out a good team this year. My argument comes from the point of at what cost does this become a bad idea.  A step back with rookies could of easily paid off half way through the season like it did for KC without paying players like Cox and Graham 16 mill together. That's CJ, TJ and White money right there and then you are younger with your money. It's just an opinion, but that's what these boards are for. I appreciate a real debate vs whatever the hell Hogan is talking about 

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Enough. Talk about football. All opinions are welcome here, even if you think they're outright L takes. 

Even **** like "Chip Kelly is the greatest Eagles HC of all time."

Hold on....can we as a collective agree to mob said person lol 

• Like 1