The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I have a drinking “problem”. I get up everyday. Drive my own car. Go to my lucrative job for my successful career. Return to my own home. Workout, pay my bills. My health and wealth are great. Do I have a drinking problem? Or is it just perception? 

My buddy Frank Rizzo could give you some advice.

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Is Bobby Wagner going to sign with a team in the next, say 2 weeks? Or do you think he waits until just before TC, or maybe even just before the preseason starts, before picking a team?

Everything I've read suggests that the top guys left are likely to wait a bit before signing - however, there's no way to actually know. 

9 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Everything I've read suggests that the top guys left are likely to wait a bit before signing - however, there's no way to actually know. 

We are in their weird period now where teams are focused on pro day and building boards. He might sign but likely some FAs are willing to wait until after the draft to see where they are best fit. But a contender might make a great offer if they feel he would best fit them. 

3 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

The rent aspect was equating not paying a QB a real salary at this point. I apologize if I didn't make that clear.  I don't agree with Howie being able to do this forever, and he has one ring to show with another visit which is extremely impressive. The thing I actually agree with most of you with is that this is what he needed to do to send out a good team this year. My argument comes from the point of at what cost does this become a bad idea.  A step back with rookies could of easily paid off half way through the season like it did for KC without paying players like Cox and Graham 16 mill together. That's CJ, TJ and White money right there and then you are younger with your money. It's just an opinion, but that's what these boards are for. I appreciate a real debate vs whatever the hell Hogan is talking about 

I’ll worry about a QB contract when every other team does or (some) fans do(es), when his cap is an issue. Clearly there will be adjustments made when Jalen goes from making 1.2 to 40. But are we supposed to keep 50M in cap money because of a future contract? Let Howie worry about the numbers. He clearly can manipulate more than we can see. And along with that, if Howie has a shot to put together a better roster for the year, don’t we want him to push and get those guys even if he has to spend precious resources a couple years down the line to do it? 

I mean, sure, having a slew of rookies contribute to your team successfully is not only rare it’s unusual. It’s also extremely hindsight. Howie generally doesn’t operate like that. Maybe because he doesn’t have the ability too. But then your argument is different. KC being able to do what they did is more luck than skill. Yes, they have a juggernaut QB and TE with a HoF HC. That’s not luck. But when you’re able to field the team with rookies and still be that good, there’s some luck involved. You can’t count on that happening season to season. 

Bottom line is, until Howie is giving away important pro bowl players because he’s cash strapped then I’ll start to tell you he needs a new strategy. Obviously, situations vary. Outside of CJGJ, who clearly messed his own contract up, I don’t think we lost anyone that wasn’t in our short and long term plans anyhow. But how can anyone sit here and post about his cap situation and handling and at the same time be gleeful and happy about watching a team who was arguably one play away from clinching 2 SBs in 5 years? I’m not old but I’m not young either. I grew up with Eagles teams that were trash, underperforming and directionless. I’m cool with what I’ve seen the last 20 years. I’m REALLY cool with what I’ve see in the last 5. I don’t want to go back. This is a new NFL. There’s more than one way (the old school build through the draft and create a dynasty) to skin a cat. Id rather have a GM that’s not limited to the rules and someone who can manipulate and traverse the rules and bend them to his will than the opposed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Alright soo Morrow...back up LBer and special teams guy.

You mean day 1 starter when Howie doest draft a LB. But I mean this years off ball linebacker group is pretty bad so I mean we won't really blame him if the value never matches up.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

You mean day 1 starter when Howie doest draft a LB. But I mean this years off ball linebacker group is pretty bad so I mean we won't really blame him if the value never matches up.

No chance in hell Morrow is starting day 1 lol

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

It is such comedy sometimes.

March 13th, CJGJ is priority 1, have to re sign him at all costs.

March 21st, CJGJ is a bum, head case, was the 8th best player on defense.

Any time a player leaves then the fans down play that players ability and any time we add a player we exaggerate how good they could be for us.