The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

16 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I feel like Howie knows he sucks at evaluating corners so he gave up trying.

Sounds like something he needs to work on to get over his fears. This isnt fantasy football. Hes the GM and needs to pull his head out of his ***.................if thats the case :)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I would not have extended Cox, Graham and Slay.  Not punting a season, but get younger and start chipping away at that dead cap.

Drafting better would help, especially at CB.

Replacing those 3 in one off season would've been rough. Would've been like a punt on the defensive side. Unless you got extremely lucky in the draft and nailed 3+ starters.

Only one I agree with is Fletch. Could've done without that contract but he is needed so just gotta live with that unfortunately

9 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Sounds like something he needs to work on to get over his fears. This isnt fantasy football. Hes the GM and needs to pull his head out of his ***.................if thats the case :)

oh yeah we need to draft and develop a good outside corner. When was the last time the eagles did that? 

On 3/21/2023 at 9:41 AM, downundermike said:

Exactly.

They have 7.5 dead cap this year, and none on the books the next two years.

They also have twice as much cap space next year, their franchise QB under contract already, and more draft picks than the Eagles this year.

Fair enough, though the Chiefs are quite the exception to the rule given they have a QB a tier above any other.

35 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Only one I agree with is Fletch. Could've done without that contract but he is needed so just gotta live with that unfortunately

Slay as well, how many good 32 year old CB are there? And 33 for that matter since he is locked for 2024 as well. That reeks of a bad contract/decision. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Slay as well, how many good 32 year old CB are there? And 33 for that matter since he is locked for 2024 as well. That reeks of a bad contract/decision. 

Slay contract was a mistake that had to be made so that they could do anything this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Slay contract was a mistake that had to be made so that they could do anything this year.

Agreed - it's not great but it's not terrible; the Fletch contract on the other hand I could've done without, I think that's the major mistake so far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

But, I mean couldn't there be alternatives to it? Using that money on CJGJ since we had the opportunity to match and draft a CB in the 1st? Having an early pick should help in that regard. 

Just now, Broadway Joe said:

But, I mean couldn't there be alternatives to it? Using that money on CJGJ since we had the opportunity to match and draft a CB in the 1st? Having an early pick should help in that regard. 

Lane is the only other restructure that could have been made.

8 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Not possible because that makes too much sense.

38 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

The contract does look rough with the age but that would've been tough on the defense to lose him also. This at least gives Howie a season or two to get our solution. 

Maybe we get lucky and the solution is already here in Greedy.