The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

5 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

The contract does look rough with the age but that would've been tough on the defense to lose him also. This at least gives Howie a season or two to get our solution. 

Maybe we get lucky and the solution is already here in Greedy. 

The solution for the aging CB was extending Bradberry, but extending two CBs at 30 or after in the same offseason is rough, specially with a top 10 pick on a good CB class. 

We address the DL when there's far less of a need. 

15 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

The solution for the aging CB was extending Bradberry, but extending two CBs at 30 or after in the same offseason is rough, specially with a top 10 pick on a good CB class. 

We address the DL when there's far less of a need. 

I get that but I understand why Howie did it. It gives us perhaps the best chance to continue being a top 10 defense. Losing slay, CGJ and Hargrave would've been even more difficult. 

Do I like the contract no. Do I like keeping or CB duo yes

1 hour ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

I get that but I understand why Howie did it. It gives us perhaps the best chance to continue being a top 10 defense. Losing slay, CGJ and Hargrave would've been even more difficult. 

Do I like the contract no. Do I like keeping or CB duo yes

In this scenario we keep CGJ but let Slay walk. 

We are keeping the duo but a year older into what was already a steady decline btw. 

32 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Got decent value back on him too. 

Guarantee you that pick will be used in the Rodgers trade watch. Great value really.

Moore plus.....? For Aaron Rodgers. lol

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

In this scenario we keep CGJ but let Slay walk. 

We are keeping the duo but a year older into what was already a steady decline btw. 

They're saying we went back to slay after CGJ rejected us so it looks like we tried to go that route. I wanted option (A) JB & CGJ. Option B is what we got and I'm ok with that too. Contracts suck but we gotta give Hurts the best chance next year to try to get us back n win it

2 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

They're saying we went back to slay after CGJ rejected us so it looks like we tried to go that route. I wanted option (A) JB & CGJ. Option B is what we got and I'm ok with that too. Contracts suck but we gotta give Hurts the best chance next year to try to get us back n win it

Had we not retained Slay would we have been able to match de 1 year 8 mil offer by Detroit when we were offered? Cap wise I mean. I would think yes and that would have been a better scenario because we know Maddox won't play the whole season. 

• Like 1

This is all fine on the football forum. But there’s real life people involved. Sometimes there’s take it or leave it deals. Sometimes (either party) have to make decisions and potentially move on without them. Nature of the business. Feelings and pride get hurt, agents and friends feed into egos. Players and GMs make rash decisions. Timeline, deadline and money constantly changing throws variables into a situation when sometimes it’s not as fluid as one would expect. Maybe Howie had a hard deadline to do a deal and their camp was playing around trying to get more money. Maybe CJGJ had a more lucrative deal fall through. Tons of possibilities. It’s not just as easy as saying if we had the extra 4-5M he would have signed. Im sure if that’s all that it was, we could have freed up the cash to do it. 

31 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Had we not retained Slay would we have been able to match de 1 year 8 mil offer by Detroit when we were offered? Cap wise I mean. I would think yes and that would have been a better scenario because we know Maddox won't play the whole season. 

We were never ever signing CGJ for that contract. He's to Egotistical to come back to Howie with his tail between his legs asking for that ,after "supposedly" turning down his pre-FA offer. 

CGJ could of cashed in on a multi-year dbl digit APY offer but thought, I can get more.

Howie was absolutely right to move on. 

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

We were never ever signing CGJ for that contract. He's to Egotistical to come back to Howie with his tail between his legs asking for that ,after "supposedly" turning down his pre-FA offer. 

CGJ could of cashed in on a multi-year dbl digit APY offer but thought, I can get more.

Howie was absolutely right to move on. 

Still, we were offered to match Detroit's offered and declined. 

Either way, this all started with the Cox is the only bad contract, which adds to the Slay contract as well.