The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Gonna be a 3 headed monster of Sermon, Gainwell and Penny.  I kinda like it, keep Penny fresh for end of season, he is explosive when healthy.

Was Sermon coming off a huge injury last year? I dont understand why they didnt play him if he was so good in practice.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Agreed.

Dawk is my favorite player, grew up with Reggie, but players should be able to wear those numbers.  I don't think K'Von Wallace should wear 20, but if we drafted the next Dawk, or Ed Reed, let them carry on that legacy.

The only number that should not be worn again for the Eagles IMO is #60.

Nah, just make Chucks statue out of marble. The rest will be bronze. Marble Chuck. Bronze "Philly special", Bronze Reggie, Bronze B Dawk, and hopefully we get right back to the bowl and get a bronze Hurts.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

They need to just un-retire every jersey #. Putting the dudes jersey in a nice display case for all at the stadium to see should be enough. You don't need to make it so nobody else can ever use that # again. Reggie White is awesome, but it someone wants to wear 92, they should be able to. If someone idolized Brian Dawkins (or even if they didn't) and coincidentally get drafted by the Eagles, they should be able to wear #20. Or number 00. 

Put up another statue if these guys mean so much (and we should have a B Dawk statue right next to Nick and Doug!). Let other people wear their #s.

I'm sure I'll catch some heat for this and I've said it here before but retiring numbers is the dumbest tradition in sports. I agree with everything you said, put the jerseys of the players in a case somewhere in a stadium, build a statue, hang the specific players jersey from the rafters - but don't make it so nobody can ever wear that number again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scalamania said:

I'm sure I'll catch some heat for this and I've said it here before but retiring numbers is the dumbest tradition in sports. I agree with everything you said, put the jerseys of the players in a case somewhere in a stadium, build a statue, hang the specific players jersey from the rafters - but don't make it so nobody can ever wear that number again. 

In another 25 years, we'll have players with jersey # K9 and A1 and G0, or they'll have player #999. Stop retiring the damn numbers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Most recent injury I can find was the concussion from the 2021 game against the Eagles.

Just hard for me to buy into the hype from the coaches about Sermon who apparently wasnt good enough to get carries over Gainwell or Scott

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

LOL.  Saw that.  Pretty odd Hill for the Eagles.  But whatever 

Saw someone speculate they were stuffing the voting with passable stuff so the sneak wasn’t the one thing that was discussed.

Dont think that’s the case, Lurie and the Eagles are always putting stuff in. But thought it was funny.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Just hard for me to buy into the hype from the coaches about Sermon who apparently wasnt good enough to get carries over Gainwell or Scott

Trey Sermon going be our RB version of Stephen Means. Coaches will talk him up. he'll look great in the preseason. And he'll get 2 snaps a month. Then, after Gainwell and Penny go down and you think you'll finally see Sermon take these defenses to church, the Eagles trade for a different RB and start him and Boston Scott over Sermon.

Edited by Jeezla

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Trey Sermon going be our RB version of Stephen Means. Coaches will talk him. he'll look great in the preseason. And he'll get 2 snaps a month.

The only way it makes sense is if the Eagles knew he had some kind of lingering injury and they didnt want to play him for that reason alone, because if he is indeed going to be a RB that is heavily used in the rotation and he is actually a nice piece, then it looks bad that we didnt use him last year. 

18 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

They need to just un-retire every jersey #. Putting the dudes jersey in a nice display case for all at the stadium to see should be enough. You don't need to make it so nobody else can ever use that # again. Reggie White is awesome, but it someone wants to wear 92, they should be able to. If someone idolized Brian Dawkins (or even if they didn't) and coincidentally get drafted by the Eagles, they should be able to wear #20. Or number 00. 

Put up another statue if these guys mean so much (and we should have a B Dawk statue right next to Nick and Doug!). Let other people wear their #s.

Yeah, I’m with you. I think you can still safeguard them from scrub players. But the Eagles have always been a prisoner of the moment with a lot of them.

Personally only think Dawk and Bednarik are at the threshold for it. Franchise and Fanbase defining players. Would be weird to see someone else with #20. But like couldn’t care less if someone else was in #5, #92, etc. Also let people use the shadow retired numbers (#12, #25)

I think they definitely do need a Dawk statue.

18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Most recent injury I can find was the concussion from the 2021 game against the Eagles.

They didn't play him much cause they had Miles, Gainwell, Scott, and Hurts. I think Sermon will be given a legit shot to make the team this year. The only RB with a guaranteed spot is Gainwell and whatever rookie they draft.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah, I’m with you. I think you can still safeguard them from scrub players. But the Eagles have always been a prisoner of the moment with a lot of them.

Personally only think Dawk and Bednarik are at the threshold for it. Franchise and Fanbase defining players. Would be weird to see someone else with #20. But like couldn’t care less if someone else was in #5, #92, etc. Also let people use the shadow retired numbers (#12, #25)

I think they definitely do need a Dawk statue.

Can you imagine the amount of Twitter crying McNabb would do if they let someone else wear #5?
Post career McNabb is such a D-bag. I always felt like he was an entitled fat white kid stuck in an athletic black mans body. Well, not always, but after the TO drama.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

They didn't play him much cause they had Miles, Gainwell, Scott, and Hurts. I think Sermon will be given a legit shot to make the team this year. The only RB with a guaranteed spot is Gainwell and whatever rookie they draft.

Unless they acquire more picks, I think they may roll with the crew they have.  To many other needs IMO.

30 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Saw someone speculate they were stuffing the voting with passable stuff so the sneak wasn’t the one thing that was discussed.

Dont think that’s the case, Lurie and the Eagles are always putting stuff in. But thought it was funny.

That’s hilarious.  Oh I wish it were true.  The “look what’s in this hand” routine.