The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Kelce and Graham were not free agents.  They had contracts in place for the 2023 season.  The Eagles had to do extensions, adding more dead money when they finally walk away to remove some large guarantees that would have kicked in without redoing those deals.

Like I said different ways you can answer that questions.

https://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/33428/philadelphia-eagles-2023-free-agent-signings

Graham agreed to terms on a one-year deal to stay with the Eagles, declining to enter free agency out of loyalty to the organization, he told ESPN on Friday.

Jason Kelce, center

A day after announcing he would be back for another season, center Jason Kelce agreed to a one-year, $14.25 million deal, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

And here is why the Howie Roseman model is flawed IMO.  You need to build better through the draft, and not have dead money so you can sprinkle in free agents on more than one year deals.  Here is the current 2025 depth chart with the players that are under contract.

No description available.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

And here is why the Howie Roseman model is flawed IMO.  You need to build better through the draft, and not have dead money so you can sprinkle in free agents on more than one year deals.  Here is the current 2025 depth chart with the players that are under contract.

No description available.

Actually wanted to ask you this before but forgot. The dead money thing

Why does over the cap have us having zero dead cap next year

6 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

🤣. No one's bashing anyone or hating. If you read messages angry that's on you.

Funny thing is I think the same about most of your crew. I actually can respect Mike after our first few back and forths. He's not soft. I actually don't mind Mike now. The one guys cool too

If you're hurt then sorry

As luck turns out

3 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If that's the way you're looking at it then bradberry. That's why I listed him first. I figured you'd bring something like that

Here are the Graham and Kelce contracts before they agreed to new deals, you will notice on March 10th, they were under contract for 2023

Open photo

Open photo

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Here are the Graham and Kelce contracts before they agreed to new deals, you will notice on March 10th, they were under contract for 2023

Open photo

Open photo

Then why would Graham say he had a few teams trying to sign him? Makes zero sense to me. If I remember correctly browns were one of the teams

Could be wrong but feel like I heard Kelce say similar on his podcast

6 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Actually wanted to ask you this before but forgot. The dead money thing

Why does over the cap have us having zero dead cap next year

They do not, they just have not updated.

If you look at the roster table for 2024, you see Barnett and Mariotta have no base salary, as this is just a void year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles

So right now, the Eagles have 1.97 million dead for Barnett and 3.06 million dead for Mariotta.

If Kelce retires, you will have another 12.328 million dead, and if Graham retires that adds another 7.9 million dead.

In that scenario, the Eagles already have 25.258 million in dead cap for 2024.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

They do not, they just have not updated.

If you look at the roster table for 2024, you see Barnett and Mariotta have no base salary, as this is just a void year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles

So right now, the Eagles have 1.97 million dead for Barnett and 3.06 million dead for Mariotta.

If Kelce retires, you will have another 12.328 million dead, and if Graham retires that adds another 7.9 million dead.

In that scenario, the Eagles already have 25.258 million in dead cap for 2024.

Someone should tell the eagles Twitter news guys this then. Seen a few of them posting about no dead cap. I remembered you pissed months back about it and seen them tweet this and was confused.

Graham should be back. Kelce is another question unfortunately.

At least it's not 54 million or whatever it is this year lol

They're slacking on the update. Other teams have their dead cap in 2024

4 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Then why would Graham say he had a few teams trying to sign him? Makes zero sense to me. If I remember correctly browns were one of the teams

Could be wrong but feel like I heard Kelce say similar on his podcast

Because those deals were both set up to be post June 1st cuts.  There was some notes, that I wish I would have saved, but basically said if they were on the roster on a certain date, some large guarantees would have kicked in for future years.  By doing the new deals, those went away and they just added to the dead money.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2023/1/12/23551743/philadelphia-eagles-bye-week-mailbag-2023-free-agents-nfl-james-bradberry-cj-gardner-johnson

Brandon Graham, whose contract for 2023 guarantees on March 16th with “massive salaries” as OTC puts it. These were designed with the post-June 1st designation in mind, which splits up how the money is accelerated on to the cap.

13 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

They're slacking on the update. Other teams have their dead cap in 2024

None of the transactions have happened yet for the Eagles for that dead cap.

If the Eagles do not do new deals with Mariotta and Barnett, then the first day of the league year in 2024 those numbers become dead cap.

The teams that are already showing dead cap for 2024, are because those transactions have been completed with the post June 1 release of players this year.  Transaction is complete.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-potential-roster-cuts-trade-candidates-post-june-2023

Team Cap Space Added Players
Miami Dolphins $13.6 million CB Byron Jones
Cleveland Browns $10.915 million S John Johnson III, ED Jadeveon Clowney
Dallas Cowboys $10.9 million RB Ezekiel Elliott
Washington Commanders $8.37 million C Chase Roullier
Arizona Cardinals $4.215 million DI J.J. Watt, C Rodney Hudson
Denver Broncos $3.75 million K Brandon McManus

Instead of trying to argue with me at every turn on something you clearly do not understand, maybe hang back and you can learn some things.

Edited by downundermike
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, downundermike said:

Kelce, 9 million cap hit this year, and void dead hit of 13.8 million next year. They also have to do something with his deal immediately.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, downundermike said:

The 2023 season is a placeholder in the event that Kelce retires or is released. He has a $2.75 million roster bonus that is guaranteed that year. If on the roster after June 2nd of 2023 a large guarantee kicks in for 2024.

@EaglesFlySBChampsHigh here is my post from March 9th showing the Kelce contract details.