Rank Gronk, Gonzalez & Kelce

Alex Flood

On 2/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, THE DUKE said:

Gronk and Gonzo were far superior blockers than Kelce, especially Gronk who is one of the better blocking TE's I have ever seen.  Kelce is more of an H-Back or even WR than a TE.

Kelce is not a bad blocker at all. He's no Gronk of course, but he's a much better blocker than say Gates was. 

I think peak Gronk is the better of the three, but his overall career is dragged down by injuries, whereas Gonzo and Kelce were/are incredibly durable. Kelce career is still ongoing so I'll go Gonzo > Gronk > Kelce but I think Kelce has a shot to be the best by the end of his career

11 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Who do you think was a better blocker between Gronk and Gonzo?

Tony is closer to Kelce, as a blocker, than he is Gronk.   He's getting overvalued a little, as a blocker in here.  He became serviceable, but he was never viewed as a plus run blocker.  He was more "WR in a TE's body," especially early on and into his prime.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 2

Let me start this by saying that I absolutely believe Gronk is a significantly better blocker than the other two. Don't get my position twisted here. 

I actually think Gronk > Kelce as a receiver (23+ TD diff is hard to ignore) is a really strong case, which I also might agree with. 

Add the two together, I think Gronk is still clearly ahead of Kelce.

BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID -

How much better of a blocker is Gronk REALLY? 

I was hoping to avoid rewatching 10 years of each guys career, while also avoiding the narrative + "eye test duh" science that people spew, so unfortunately PFF is the best I could do.

If you go strictly by Pro Football Focus grades, which admittedly are imperfect, Gronkowski averaged a career pass-blocking grade of 69.2 and a run-blocking grade of 71.4. Kelce, on the other hand, has averaged a pass-blocking grade of 65.5 and a run-blocking grade of 66.7.

src

Now obviously they have Gronk ahead, but let's go to the absolute extreme and assume that Gronk is pancaking defenders on every single play and that Kelce is just barely standing in the way long enough to reroute the defender.

At the end of the day, if they both effectively make the block - who cares how dominate it is?

Again though - they still have Gronk as better statistically, I'm just wondering if it's truly this massive Trent Williams vs Cole Beasley blocking edge that some folks seem to suggest it as, or if Travis is just asked to do it less (given his skillset and Reid's scheme comparatively to the Pats)

Edited by Soggust

On 2/15/2023 at 12:42 PM, scar988 said:

Gonzalez - changed the position to what it is today.

Gronk - brought back in more of the two-way guy than just a pure receiver

Kelce - Beast.

In that order. But that's like picking what do you like better between Reese's cups, Twix and Snickers. Everyone is going to have a favorite.

I would say Kellen Winslow Sr. changed the position to what it is today. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soggust said:

Let me start this by saying that I absolutely believe Gronk is a significantly better blocker than the other two. Don't get my position twisted here. 

I actually think Gronk > Kelce as a receiver (23+ TD diff is hard to ignore) is a really strong case, which I also might agree with. 

Add the two together, I think Gronk is still clearly ahead of Kelce.

BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID -

How much better of a blocker is Gronk REALLY? 

I was hoping to avoid rewatching 10 years of each guys career, while also avoiding the narrative + "eye test duh" science that people spew, so unfortunately PFF is the best I could do.

src

Now obviously they have Gronk ahead, but let's go to the absolute extreme and assume that Gronk is pancaking defenders on every single play and that Kelce is just barely standing in the way long enough to reroute the defender.

At the end of the day, if they both effectively make the block - who cares how dominate it is?

Again though - they still have Gronk as better statistically, I'm just wondering if it's truly this massive Trent Williams vs Cole Beasley blocking edge that some folks seem to suggest it as, or if Travis is just asked to do it less (given his skillset and Reid's scheme comparatively to the Pats)

The rest of that article more or less answers your question. Gronk was consistently drawing tougher assignments as the spear point of stronger run games. Big difference between motioning from the slot and then crashing down on a DB vs lining up essentially as a 6th linemen in an offense that is predicated on forcing a team to commit and then attacking the personnel. Early 2010s Patriot football was all about forcing teams into personnel looks and then taking advantage of it using both the run and the pass, usually without a real deep threat. 

Gronk did it better, more often, against tougher assignments, both running and pass blocking, from all over the formation, in offenses that were largely more willing to be dedicated to the run than most of Kelce’s offenses.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Not sure about the pff grades or anything, but carrying on from what Soko said, we'd often see Gronk holding down really tough assignments. I forget the year, I think it was the opening game vs Texans a couple seasons ago, there were two occasions where he was 1 on 1 with JJ Watt, and he clearly won both reps. He was genuinely better than some of our offensive linemen at blocking.

The eye test.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:37 AM, THE DUKE said:

Gronk and Gonzo were far superior blockers than Kelce, especially Gronk who is one of the better blocking TE's I have ever seen.  Kelce is more of an H-Back or even WR than a TE.

Gonzo was a superior blocker now? that’s a wild take man