Todd Monken Named New OC

RavensTillIDie

I like it. I remember being really intrigued by him back in 2019 prior to Roman getting the job full-time. His Tampa offenses were explosive and I don't think it's entirely fair to hold his Browns stint against him given that he didn't call plays and Kitchens was just a disaster of a HC. Fair to worry about how much of his UGA success has to do with the talent advantages they had, but bringing in a guy who can bring more college/spread concepts to the passing game is an unequivocal W. 

One possible advantage is that he's on the older side and it doesn't sound like he's interested in HC jobs, so if he does succeed here, he could be a long-term solution at OC rather than a 1 year rental, which is especially important for us given Harbaugh's lack of X's and O's expertise. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I like it. I remember being really intrigued by him back in 2019 prior to Roman getting the job full-time. His Tampa offenses were explosive and I don't think it's entirely fair to hold his Browns stint against him given that he didn't call plays and Kitchens was just a disaster of a HC. Fair to worry about how much of his UGA success has to do with the talent advantages they had, but bringing in a guy who can bring more college/spread concepts to the passing game is an unequivocal W. 

One possible advantage is that he's on the older side and it doesn't sound like he's interested in HC jobs, so if he does succeed here, he could be a long-term solution at OC rather than a 1 year rental, which is especially important for us given Harbaugh's lack of X's and O's expertise. 

If he runs a UGA style of offense, that would make sense to me as to why they brought him in. I'd anticipate a lot of 2 TE personnel with the potential to put one in the slot or run "jumbo" formations, while utilizing the QB run game.

If he runs a heavy RPO and hybrid west coast style that he did in Cleveland, I can't see that ending well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Also a flip side to the Georgia had a crazy talented team argument: they were murking SEC defenses, which have the speed/general traits a lot of NFL teams will have 

53 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Yup. 

Monken seems like a guy who will actually adjust to what he has to work with as opposed to trying to force his scheme regardless of personnel. As long as he can do it efficiently I'm happy. 

Now it's up to DeCosta to give him more to work with.

• Like 3