Todd Monken Named New OC

RavensTillIDie

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Got to love reporters. Stirring up drama.

He acknowledged it because they asked the question. He didn’t bring it up. And he really didn’t focus on it at all.

He said he trusts Harbaugh and EDC with personnel decisions and then said something like, “football is football. What’s he been playing for the Purple Commanders or something since he was 5, we’ll cater to what he knows and play off of that. As you do with all the guys.”

On another note, the major takeaway that I got from the press conference was that he mentioned multiple times, “players love spread, they love playing in space.” Or something along those lines.

Then later in the interview he mentioned specifically the SB the Mahomes run and how the offense spread the defense out and that led to a big run by Mahomes.

I really like hearing that. This is what I was hoping Roman would do more of an it’s the best way to utilize Lamar. Get receivers in space and get defenses having to cover the entire field, perhaps shred them with dink and dunk and spacing plays. That’ll allow Lamar to both get in a rhythm but also he becomes a more efficient runner than where Roman had him barreling up the middle against fully loaded boxes. Sure those guys were slower and the goal was to use Lamar’s speed advantage, but even better is just building a competent spread passing attack and giving the defense too many variables to consider IMO.

So I think we’ll see an offense more similar schematically to what Lamar ran at Louisville vs the Roman offense that IMO wasn’t really the most ideal offense for a player like Lamar… particularly long term.

Edited by diamondbull424

23 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Got to love reporters. Stirring up drama.

He acknowledged it because they asked the question. He didn’t bring it up. And he really didn’t focus on it at all.

He said he trusts Harbaugh and EDC with personnel decisions and then said something like, “football is football. What’s he been playing for the Purple Commanders or something since he was 5, we’ll cater to what he knows and play off of that. As you do with all the guys.”

Yeah, i’m aware of the context. I watched the press conference.

I posted this as a positive thing - that even if Lamar misses time our new OC isn’t overly worried about it and will cater to him until he gets up to speed.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hey all, Bears fan here, I come in peace lol

Wanted to ask how you're liking Todd Monken especially compared to Greg Roman the past few years (I know many Ravens fans/players hated him by the end of his tenure, if not during).

I ask because I have a feeling my Bears will be looking for a new offensive coordinator (and staff) in 2024 and Greg Roman, for the work he did with Lamar Jackson, intrigues me mostly because of what I think he can do with Justin Fields (I'm of the opinion Fields isn't going anywhere).

Anyway, would love any and all feedback you have in terms of what's been different with Roman gone, what's better, what's worse (if anything). Looking at the numbers compared to last season, it seems like you made the right decision in moving on from him!

Edited by G08

Roman can scheme the running game up like few others can and have been able to do. With or without the running quarterback thrown into the mix. The problem is that his passing schemes and concepts are nearly equally as bad as his running stuff is good. I'm not sure fans outside of Baltimore could really grasp just how bad it was without doing some research into the All 22 film. Baltimore didn't have good receivers, but that was highly accentuated by poor scheming as well. 

If a team could bring Roman in to call and design run plays, and run plays only, it would be great but I'm not sure how feasible that is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Roman can scheme the running game up like few others can and have been able to do. With or without the running quarterback thrown into the mix. The problem is that his passing schemes and concepts are nearly equally as bad as his running stuff is good. I'm not sure fans outside of Baltimore could really grasp just how bad it was without doing some research into the All 22 film. Baltimore didn't have good receivers, but that was highly accentuated by poor scheming as well. 

If a team could bring Roman in to call and design run plays, and run plays only, it would be great but I'm not sure how feasible that is. 

Appreciate the response! What made his passing schemes so terrible? Was he able to implement play-action off his runs or was he completely disjointed?

Do you think a year off studying the league would help him improve as a coach?

5 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

As a Niners fan popping by to see if there are any interesting stats or tidbits before the big game next Monday, oh believe me we have firsthand experience too

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, G08 said:

Hey all, Bears fan here, I come in peace lol

Wanted to ask how you're liking Todd Monken especially compared to Greg Roman the past few years (I know many Ravens fans/players hated him by the end of his tenure, if not during).

I ask because I have a feeling my Bears will be looking for a new offensive coordinator (and staff) in 2024 and Greg Roman, for the work he did with Lamar Jackson, intrigues me mostly because of what I think he can do with Justin Fields (I'm of the opinion Fields isn't going anywhere).

Anyway, would love any and all feedback you have in terms of what's been different with Roman gone, what's better, what's worse (if anything). Looking at the numbers compared to last season, it seems like you made the right decision in moving on from him!

IMO Greg Roman was great for Lamar in his first few years, but probably held him back the last 1 or possibly 2 seasons. 

I would have recommended Roman when Fields was a rookie, because he can protect a QB from having to throw too much when they aren't ready to do so. But at some point you have to take off the training wheels and throw the ball around, and Roman just isn't the guy you want for that transition. 

His best role is run-game coordinator, if he's willing to settle for that, he's your guy.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G08 said:

Appreciate the response! What made his passing schemes so terrible? Was he able to implement play-action off his runs or was he completely disjointed?

If you like passing concepts like "4 hitches," he's the man. 

Do you think a year off studying the league would help him improve as a coach?

He's pretty old and didn't change much with Balt, I'd say he is who he is at this point. Although he'd probably do well his first year with a new group of players but then gradually get worse over time. 

• Like 1