Todd Monken Named New OC

RavensTillIDie

15 hours ago, G08 said:

Hey all, Bears fan here, I come in peace lol

Wanted to ask how you're liking Todd Monken especially compared to Greg Roman the past few years (I know many Ravens fans/players hated him by the end of his tenure, if not during).

I ask because I have a feeling my Bears will be looking for a new offensive coordinator (and staff) in 2024 and Greg Roman, for the work he did with Lamar Jackson, intrigues me mostly because of what I think he can do with Justin Fields (I'm of the opinion Fields isn't going anywhere).

Anyway, would love any and all feedback you have in terms of what's been different with Roman gone, what's better, what's worse (if anything). Looking at the numbers compared to last season, it seems like you made the right decision in moving on from him!

Greg Roman will always have elite running games, and the first 2 years of his offense you'll love it.

Then it starts to get picked up on and tendencies start to get noticed. He also sucks in big games and if you want any sort of passing offense with detailed routes and stuff you'll have to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

Appreciate the replies @AngusMcFife @AFlaccoSeagulls!

The thing that is intriguing to me is that he seems to "specialize" (I use that term loosely) in mobile/athletic QBs. He was the OC when Tyrod Taylor went to the Pro Bowl (big whoop but nonetheless an achievement) and the OC when Lamar Jackson was MVP. In his 12 seasons as an offensive coordinator, those teams have averaged 12th in the league in scoring.

I know WRs in Baltimore seemingly hated him, was there tension or any pushback from Lamar in wanting Roman gone? 

What are you guys seeing as the biggest change in the offensive scheme? Personnel? Passing game concepts? 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Appreciate the replies @AngusMcFife @AFlaccoSeagulls!

The thing that is intriguing to me is that he seems to "specialize" (I use that term loosely) in mobile/athletic QBs. He was the OC when Tyrod Taylor went to the Pro Bowl (big whoop but nonetheless an achievement) and the OC when Lamar Jackson was MVP. In his 12 seasons as an offensive coordinator, those teams have averaged 12th in the league in scoring.

I know WRs in Baltimore seemingly hated him, was there tension or any pushback from Lamar in wanting Roman gone? 

There was plenty of speculation that Lamar did not come back from injury because he didn't want to risk Greg Roman running him up the middle 15 times in the playoffs and exposing him to serious injury just prior to free agency. From secondary sources, it seemed that Lamar did not want to play in Roman's system anymore, but that is speculation and not fact. Lamar is a classy guy and never threw Roman under the bus publicly. 

What are you guys seeing as the biggest change in the offensive scheme? Personnel? Passing game concepts? 

There was a practice in training camp where the WRs were working on the specifics on how to run a rub, and apparently Roman had never practiced that his entire tenure as OC. 

The spacing between the receivers is vastly improved. So many of Roman's routes ended with receivers very close to each other. 

And there has been a running joke about how often the 300 LB fullback Ricard was running routes in the passing game under Roman. 

I would just say the passing game now looks like a normal NFL passing game, where the routes complement each other. A receiver will clear out a space for the trailing receiver to fill. There are more passing concepts that involve reading the whole field. 

Of course the WR group is vastly improved. We now have WRs that can get open (especially Flowers). If Roman had the 2023 personnel, would he have developed this passing offense? Unknown, but I would say unlikely. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Good lord you are the best team in football.

Has Todd Monoken been THAT MUCH of a welcomed change compared to Greg Roman??

Yes.

The biggest changes are:

1. More spread offense (less 3 TE 1 FB stuff)
  2. Giving Lamar total control at the LoS to make changes
  3. More collaborative approach with Lamar in terms of play-calling and scheming
  4. The ability to actually make adjustments in-game

Monken has been tremendous for this team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yes.

The biggest changes are:

1. More spread offense (less 3 TE 1 FB stuff)
  2. Giving Lamar total control at the LoS to make changes
  3. More collaborative approach with Lamar in terms of play-calling and scheming
  4. The ability to actually make adjustments in-game

Monken has been tremendous for this team.

Harbaugh coordinator hiring GOAT tbh

20 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Hey.

I was told Monken is too old to be considered for NFL head coaching gigs. What is this. Stop it. Stop it right now.

He's 57, if he coaches until he's like 70 that's a decade of HC material. Plus like $10 million/year guaranteed from a coordinator's like 3-5 million salary? 

If someone offers he gone. Looking at you incompetent franchises.