2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

The actual draft will be a different thread. This is for moves and speculation. Note also the Acquisitions and Separations thread for player movement.

Let's start with this. Mahomes and Burrow are co-favorites to win MVP. Color me shocked. What happened to Allen, Jackson, Herbert and Hurts? 
https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-betting-mahomes-burrow-allen-open-as-co-favorites-to-win-2023-mvp-214730911.html?src=rss

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Bruhhhhhhhh. I've tried so hard to give this dude benefit of the doubt but there's just too much smoke for there not to be fire.

Patrick needs to get this dude in line asap.

Dude is just a little entitled *******, coasting off his brother. I'd really like to never hear of him in the news again unless he does something beneficial to society. 

• Like 1

I am reminded f some things Mike Maddux said when his little brother turned into Greg freaking Maddux. I gather it was the same with Ken Brett and kid brother George. Those were accomplished older siblings.

Imagine living in the shadow of an older brother like Patrick.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I am reminded f some things Mike Maddux said when his little brother turned into Greg freaking Maddux. I gather it was the same with Ken Brett and kid brother George. Those were accomplished older siblings.

Imagine living in the shadow of an older brother like Patrick.

I don't get the shadow vibe tbh, it's more that he thinks he's 1 and 1 with Pat, like he's out there throwing the football. Seems like reports keep coming out that he walks into a place thinking he's supposed to get the red carpet treatment. 

Bad part is: he's 1 of millions of these "influencer/TikTok/Insta" clowns that think views/clicks mean something in the real world.

I think underneath it all I don't feel like he's a bad kid, I just think his filtered reality is wayyyy out there. I just hope he gets grounded before he winds up ruining his life.

TL:DR: Grow up dork

Edited by Chiefs_5627

12 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I'll be honest, I don't get why anyone cares about or pays attention to Mahomes's brother. All I ever see are peoples' complaints about it, and I just don't get why anyone thinks he's worth the time or energy.

I think it’s because sadly, the negative spotlight, albeit unfairly casts that shadow back on Patrick to some extent.  Look at how he was drug down when Brittany stood up for Jackson, then had her own issues.  Pat has done nothing wrong besides get drunk celebrating a monumental accomplishment, when he wasn’t driving (thus really doing nothing wrong) and people wanted to vilify him for that.  When you’re on top, sadly people cannot wait to watch you fall.

Edited by EMAW_KSU
Spelling

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think it’s because sadly, the negative spotlight, albeit unfairly casts that shadow back on Patrick to some extent.  Look at how he was drug down when Brittany stood up for Jackson, then had her own issues.  Pat has done nothing wrong besides get drunk celebrating a monumental accomplishment, when he wasn’t driving (thus really doing nothing wrong) and people wanted to vilify him for that.  When you’re on top, sadly people cannot wait to watch you fall.

It honestly just confuses me that anyone sees it. Like, I only know that JuJu or Jackson are on TikTok from people complaining about it otherwise. I don't actually see anything Jackson Mahomes does, I only see the complaints. Which just confuses me as to how it gets that attention in the first place.

I dunno. I guess I get haters being a thing. Just a confusing angle to me.

31 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Also, I think most would approve of this at this point:

Too bad it didn't work out. I think he can still be good in the right situation (Baltimore maybe?) but he just doesn't have enough standalone skills to produce without it being schemed for him.

23 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I think most of us expected this, right? I had some hope that maybe the injury would make him need to sign one of those cheap prove it deals, and we could keep him for one year for that. But he always seemed like one of those guys where we use him as a utility player, and someone else is going to try to sign him and make him a proper #1 or #2 WR, and we're just never going to pay him to be that.

22 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Too bad it didn't work out. I think he can still be good in the right situation (Baltimore maybe?) but he just doesn't have enough standalone skills to produce without it being schemed for him.

What still surprises me is that he didn't pan out as a pass catcher. I never thought he had the physical tools to be an elite runner like Jonathan Taylor or Derrick Henry or something, but I thought he could be our Alvin Kamara based on what he did as a receiver his last year in a pretty pro-style offense at LSU. Or at least like, a James White or something. But he and Mahomes never quite got that connection, like he did with McKinnon this year, or even Darrell Williams somehow in 2021.

FWIW, if we don't get a trade partner, he probably does stay on roster. Trading him saves about $2M, cutting him only saves like $800k, which is in the territory where you can't replace him on the roster with the money you save by cutting him. You'd need to replace him with a UDFA or a 7th round pick again, basically, for it to save any money, and that would still only save like...$50k. So if we can't trade him, he's probably a safe bet as our #3 this year at least.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I'll be honest, I don't get why anyone cares about or pays attention to Mahomes's brother. All I ever see are peoples' complaints about it, and I just don't get why anyone thinks he's worth the time or energy.

Or why anyone thinks it’s Patrick’s responsibility to take care of the issues, for the matter.