2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

I don't mind them hedging their bets on the contract. The best laid plans and all that. We don't call someone a coward because he chooses to buy insurance. 

It does not fit the model of signing middle aged free agents because Taylor is 25. For perspective, there were several players drafted last spring who were as old on draft day as Taylor is now. The model is to get ascending players for their second contract, the one after the rookie contract, covering the players prime years. 

Hitchens was a year and half older than Taylor but the failure of that contract was not Hitchen's play. As a player, he averaged over 95 tackles a year, better than he did in Dallas. However, we brought Hitchens in to be a tone setter like Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark. He wasn't.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

I was wondering how long this would take. 

We now have Jones, Nnadi, and Wharton at DT, Karlaftis, Omenihu, and Danna at DE, and some bits and pieces. We need depth but it's a workable start.

plus Kaindoh at DE

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I guess we can skip the Draft this year.....

🤪

This off-season, aside from the “Splash” Of Taylor has been all about creating flexibility in the draft.  Right now our biggest losses are at WR, T and DE depending on how you see Omenihu.  If we’d signed nobody those needs would probably have shuffled but not been glaringly different.  Of those three positions the one that makes me the most nervous is WR, this draft isn’t outstanding at the position.  So do we go after a Beckham/Hopkins or Chark we’ve clearly been in the market, so it is interesting to think about what could happen.