2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

23 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

If you can find one worth taking in the 1st round, go for it. Fortunately, there actually are TEs worth taking in the 1st round.

Since we have no FB we are more likely to carry 5 TE.

Burton at the end of the season had like 4-5 offensive snaps per game. His value was on ST alone. That job could be done by any TE, LB, S, heavy WR type of guy. If that is Bell .. with some extra value at TE .. be my guest.

But carrying 5 TE .. that's not for the offense .. even with a focus on ST .. I think 4 is sufficient.

Edited by KC_Guy

I really don't want to get in these debates anymore, but just to have it in writing, regarding the last like page and a half:

3-4 versus 4-3 makes virtually no difference anymore. Every time this has come up it devolves into people talking about the old Fairbanks-Bulloughs 3-4 defense, which, not even New England really runs that anymore, first of all, and second of all, the alignment matters less than the technique and the gap responsibilities, and even if Spags ran a 3-4 alignment he's not going to run an old school 2 gapping 3 man DL, and third, everyone is in nickel anyways. 3-4 versus 4-3 is a meaningless conversation that's about semantics and what we want to call the positions. Hell, Frank Clark loved standing up last year. We still called him a DE because why not.

We don't need another TE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I really don't want to get in these debates anymore, but just to have it in writing, regarding the last like page and a half:

3-4 versus 4-3 makes virtually no difference anymore. Every time this has come up it devolves into people talking about the old Fairbanks-Bulloughs 3-4 defense, which, not even New England really runs that anymore, first of all, and second of all, the alignment matters less than the technique and the gap responsibilities, and even if Spags ran a 3-4 alignment he's not going to run an old school 2 gapping 3 man DL, and third, everyone is in nickel anyways. 3-4 versus 4-3 is a meaningless conversation that's about semantics and what we want to call the positions. Hell, Frank Clark loved standing up last year. We still called him a DE because why not.

We don't need another TE.

Thank you.  

If your idea of a 3/4 is to put Karlaftis as a DE and call Jones the DT.  You might as well throw that in the garbage can because you’re taking away our most valuable defensive player 

Edited by RedGold

I posted this in the General forum,, but wanted to get takes in here...

Any thoughts on Brandon Aiyuk as a  trade target? I know the 49ers just picked up his fifth year option but could they look to sell high now?

His name was mentioned as a potential trade target of the Chiefs on an episode of KCSN podcast and the more I think about it the more it seems like a potential Brett Veach move that kind of comes out of left field and surprises people to an extent.

The problem with Aiyuk is twofold. First, his team is not motivated to move him. Second, it would be for only one year. 

If the 49ers were to play him this season and then let him leave, he would bring substantial value in compensation formula. So, the cost in trade capital is going to be high, even though he would not have a clearly defined role on the Chiefs.

The one year deal is the real roadblock. At just under $4 MM he would not be cheap and an extension is unlikely. 

Still, if it were a player for player deal, it might work. It would depend on the players in question.

On 3/28/2023 at 5:02 AM, nicfre2011 said:

I posted this in the General forum,, but wanted to get takes in here...

Any thoughts on Brandon Aiyuk as a  trade target? I know the 49ers just picked up his fifth year option but could they look to sell high now?

His name was mentioned as a potential trade target of the Chiefs on an episode of KCSN podcast and the more I think about it the more it seems like a potential Brett Veach move that kind of comes out of left field and surprises people to an extent.

1) it’ll cost a lot of draft ammunition to get him I believe

2) he’s going to want to get extended soon, Emeterio his 4th year I believe

On 3/25/2023 at 12:17 AM, RedGold said:

Thank you.  

If your idea of a 3/4 is to put Karlaftis as a DE and call Jones the DT.  You might as well throw that in the garbage can because you’re taking away our most valuable defensive player 

Isn’t that what we do? GK at DE and Jones at DT?