2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

We’ve run a “34” with Melvin Ingram and Frank Clark as standup edges and it’s been pretty effective 🤷

Yeah that whole conversation was dumb.   Because we already run quite a bit of the same principles in our scheme anyways.   But throwing Chris Jones in as the 1T NT in a 3-4 defense was what I was arguing.    He does it in some our sub package pass rush packages.    But it would completely take him away from what he does best in Base.    He would play would of a DE 3T/5T  role  if we were to transition to a 3/4 base.    and GK would push out wide to a 7T...    but it's already pretty pointless because most teams don't even worry about the 4/3 or 3/4 classification anymore..   They are running multiple.     But putting Jones at 1T/0T in anything long term outside of pass rush packages is dumb.

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RedGold said:

Yeah that whole conversation was dumb.   Because we already run quite a bit of the same principles in our scheme anyways.   But throwing Chris Jones in as the 1T NT in a 3-4 defense was what I was arguing.    He does it in some our sub package pass rush packages.    But it would completely take him away from what he does best in Base.    He would play would of a DE 3T/5T  role  if we were to transition to a 3/4 base.    and GK would push out wide to a 7T...    but it's already pretty pointless because most teams don't even worry about the 4/3 or 3/4 classification anymore..   They are running multiple.     But putting Jones at 1T/0T in anything long term outside of pass rush packages is dumb.

I think Chris Jones is a monster no matter what we do with him lol. He’s just too freakishly big and fast to contain. 

but yeah that’s getting real technical, and we’re just a 43 team with flexibility and versatility. 

7 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I think Chris Jones is a monster no matter what we do with him lol. He’s just too freakishly big and fast to contain. 

but yeah that’s getting real technical, and we’re just a 43 team with flexibility and versatility. 

Yeah I didn’t really want to argue much on that.   As we already do a bit of what they’re talking about already anyways,  and people in this forum act like 4-3 or 3-4 means much these days.     We already run a flex of both and it doesn’t mean Jack.        

But play GK as Tyson Jackson,    And Jones as Dontari was the only part I was laughing about.      Neither would play that role,       Not that many actually run that true scheme anymore.        

I wouldn’t want Jones doing that,  even if he could.  It’s just gonna wear him down throughout the season and keep him from doing what he does best.   

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Can only help him. I didn't realize he was that young of a draft pick at the time. 

If you check, Veach's picks tend to be younger. It generally means that there is less video available but you also get more physical maturation and skill development after the draft.

You can also see it in his free agent signings. Whenever possible, he goes for young emerging players, eg Justin Reid was 24. This franchise is built on player development and younger players have more development left.

16 hours ago, RedGold said:

Yeah I didn’t really want to argue much on that.   As we already do a bit of what they’re talking about already anyways,  and people in this forum act like 4-3 or 3-4 means much these days.     We already run a flex of both and it doesn’t mean Jack.        

But play GK as Tyson Jackson,    And Jones as Dontari was the only part I was laughing about.      Neither would play that role,       Not that many actually run that true scheme anymore.        

I wouldn’t want Jones doing that,  even if he could.  It’s just gonna wear him down throughout the season and keep him from doing what he does best.   

So in a theoretical 34 like you’re thinking, I think the alignment would go:

Jones-Nnadi-Omenihu

Omenihu-Bolton-Gay-GK

I know Omenhu is in two places but we’d run nickel out of that setup a ton so minus a LB. We’d do so much rotating, Danna and Wharton would play everywhere, we’d run Jones at “OLB” lol.

it’d be an interesting setup, but at a certain point you’re just running a 4 man line anyways.

9 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Can only help him. I didn't realize he was that young of a draft pick at the time. 

Oh yeah he and McDuffman are super young, Veachs tendency is to draft young as possible and faze out the old.

It’s why we always have the youngest teams year in and year out. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Jones-Nnadi-Omenihu

Omenihu-Bolton-Gay-GK

I know Omenhu is in two places but we’d run nickel out of that setup a ton so minus a LB. We’d do so much rotating, Danna and Wharton would play everywhere, we’d run Jones at “OLB” lol.

it’d be an interesting setup, but at a certain point you’re just running a 4 man line anyways.

I didn’t start the convo on switching to a 3-4.  To me it’s pointless because we already run quite a bit of the same principles.   Your last comment is pretty much why it’s moot.     But yeah that’s the set up I was arguing it’d be.   Instead of;   

GK - Jones - Omenihu
Gay(I guess) - Chenal - Bolton - Danna?  

17 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Jones-Nnadi-Omenihu

Omenihu-Bolton-Gay-GK

The question rises what of Chenal and Tranquill? Chenal was an exceptional blitzer in college and stout against the run. Tranquill is elite in coverage and can also blitz.