2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

4 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I feel like we didn't budge on either of these guys demands.     And I'm definitely here for that.    

Both are solid,  but not worth what they want.     

Just to play DA, they could be using Clark money to pay OB but I do hope you're correct.

I don't envy Veach in some of the hard decisions he's gonna have to make.

5 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I feel like we didn't budge on either of these guys demands.     And I'm definitely here for that.    

+1

This will free cap space to restructure a lot of contracts if we so choose. 

14 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Agreed. I was really hoping for a tag and trade of Brown though. Now, best case is a 3rd round comp pick. There's still time for a tag/trade to happen though.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

We only have three picks in the top 100 and none of those will get a shutdown CB.

In Cook we have a safety who knows what he's doing. We are talking DB depth, not starters

If we don't tag OB Jr then it begs the question of who will get tagged.

If Brown moves on that is a lot of cap room available to sign FA and restructure a lot of contracts.

I think the only person worth considering is Thornhill. But that tag of 14.47mil is a bit higher than I'd want to pay him. Barring a last minute Brown tag and trade, we aren't using it this year.

7 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Just to play DA, they could be using Clark money to pay OB but I do hope you're correct.

I don't envy Veach in some of the hard decisions he's gonna have to make.

Oh for sure.  I still think we make a run at both.    Technically we can go over the cap on Brown’s deal right now,   We just have to be back under by the new year.   So don’t really think clearing Clark was for Brown at this time.  

but I could very well be wrong.  I still expect us to keep talking to both,  let them see what their market actually is 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

That's disappointing. I'd be curious to hear how much he asked for.

I'm curious what he thinks he'll get. My hope was something taking his salary down to somewhere between $5M and $7M, putting his cap hit at less than $15M, since a little under $8M will hit us regardless. Maybe I'm underestimating his value on the market, but I just don't see him as a $10M+ guy for anyone. Though it wouldn't be the first time I've underestimated desperate teams overpaying for our mid-tier guys.