2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I read that Dawand had issues with penalties.

I also heard a lot of coaches didn’t like his attitude either, Tomlin specifically, Dawand also said his first love is really basketball, and we don’t like that kinda mindset. 

1 31 Felix Anudike-Uzomah EDGE, KSTATE
Height: 6-4, Weight: 255

2 55 Rashee Rice WR, SMU
Height: 6-2, Weight: 203

3 92 Wanya Morris OT, OKLA
Height: 6-6, Weight: 310

4 119 Chamarri Conner S, VATECH
Height: 6-0, Weight: 206

5 166 BJ Thompson S, SFA
Height: 6-6, Weight: 210

6 194 Keondre Coburn DL, TEXAS
Height: 6-2, Weight: 344

7 250 Nic Jones CB, BALLST
Height: 6-0, Weight: 185

My takes

1. FAU was not their first choice. That said, he's not a bad consolation prize. Unlike Omenihu and Ksrlaftis, He's a finisher. You may not know that Felix turned 21 this year making him one of the youngest in the class.
  2. Rice is from the Kelce school of catching the ball, then running with it. He should fit nicely into a lot of JuJu's routes.  You may not know that Rice and Mahomes have some toss-and-catch time together. 
  3. Wanya Morris is the swing OT that we needed. He's almost the opposite of Orlando Brown, light on his feet, agile, and mobile, but lacking power at the point of attack. He's older than many at 22.5 years. You may not know he was at Tennessee for most of his career.
  4. Chamarri Conner brings nothing new positionally and the athletics are good, not great. Still, this is clearly a player that the team coveted. One thing that would make sense is a Dorian o'Daniel level ST player. We'll see. This one is a mystery to me. You may not know that Conner--I got nothing. 
  5. BJ Thompson screams strength program. While he is very athletic and dominated small-school talent. However, he's painfully thin and lacks functional strength. You may not know that he played at Baylor.
  6. This pick seems to be a Joe Cullen special. Coburn does not test out well, however, he's not bad in the proverbial phonebooth. He has shown flashes of disruptive penetration. You may not know that KC is the only pick that grades for value on PFF's big board. 
  7. A lot of people don't get Nic Jones but I completely do. He's a long press-CB with a ton of upside. Most of this class is 22 years of age, the exception being FAU. You may not know that Jones won't turn 21 until October. 

This was a safe draft. The team targeted players in zones. When one was available, they would spend a little to lock the player in. They acquired three long term projects, though Coburn may contribute right away.

Conner is 100% a Snead protection.   If we can’t agree to a long term deal,  Conner slides into that Apex/slot role.   If we do agree to a long term deal,  this allows Snead and McDuffie to follow any #1/#2.     We now have Williams/Watkins outside and Connor on the inside, depending on how each opponent lines up. 

44 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

Are you going? 

Even as I'm living in Spain now - I will try to get tickets. Last year's Munich game was sold out within minutes  ... so it may be tough. Nevertheless, last year's Munich tickets were much cheaper than any Arrowhead ticket. Not sure that will be the case this year.

• 2 weeks later...

OTAs beginning. Some things to watch beyond who shows and who is healthy. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-things-to-watch-otas-2023-injuries-no-shows-second-year-players-rookies/

• Do the rookies play? No one is expected to step in and start. However, some will step into rotations. Also, the ST were disappointing last season and one of the long-term mainstays, Lammons, is not available.
  • Which of the rookies will take the big step forward?
  • Who takes a step back? 
  • Where do the FA fit in? Drue Tranquill played 90%+ of the Charger snaps but so did Nick Bolden. Justin Reid is one safety but who plays next to him?