2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

The only problem I have with if we lose Brown, is he's a known commodity at a position where we've very clearly seen (in 2020) that poor play on the OL can sink this team, even with Mahomes. Any possible solution that is not Brown will carry heavy question marks. Free agents available are not great, with a poor free agent group of LTs, I doubt there's much for trade options, and any draft pick is obviously optimistic. I don't love Brown, but we don't have a reliable LT going into the season without him, IMO. Might still be best long run, but would be very scary for our chances in 2023.

• Like 1

We would have to think someone already on the roster can take over at LT. That can only mean Thuney, Niang, or Prince. That might be a fallback position but not the first option.

That means that they are confident that they can sign OB Jr, possibly using some of the money freed by Clark. It makes the draft very fluid. There are trade up scenarios. Trade back scenarios. Take a different position, say TE, and multiple shots at DL scenarios. Of course there is also FA to consider. The next six weeks will be interesting.  

OT, DE, OT (again), DT, WR probably CB are all in my opinion better use of a first round pick than TE.  I get the concept of getting a possible elite player, but this team is about to have legitimate needs that don’t have an Hall of Fame player at the position.  Not to mention guys like LaPorta can be had and could develop into very good players.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Very much doubt it. Almost $20M. If I'm JuJu and I get tagged, I just sign it and play the year on that. 1 year for $20M is way more than what he should get.

I do too, I’m just seeing too many articles talking about how hard we should push to re-sign him.

I guess I’m in the boat, that I’m not too concerned if Brown leaves.   People like to point to the Super Bowl as a reason to pay him.     Without pointing out we weren’t just down 1 OL that game.   Pressure was coming from all directions.

Pat will be more than fine if we have 4 good starters,  and we already have 3 of them.   There should be no panic from the FO, keep developing and not overpaying with trades and FA. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

OT, DE, OT (again), DT, WR probably CB are all in my opinion better use of a first round pick than TE.  I get the concept of getting a possible elite player, but this team is about to have legitimate needs that don’t have an Hall of Fame player at the position.  Not to mention guys like LaPorta can be had and could develop into very good players.

Being proactive is a good thing. We will not always have a HoF player at TE.

LaPorta in the 2nd round makes sense. I doubt he makes it to our 3rd round pick though we might get Kraft at #93. We could do that and still attack the DL like we did the secondary last April.

51 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Being proactive is a good thing. We will not always have a HoF player at TE.

LaPorta in the 2nd round makes sense. I doubt he makes it to our 3rd round pick though we might get Kraft at #93. We could do that and still attack the DL like we did the secondary last April.

I still do not get overprioritizing a position that might be 4th string at the start of training camp.   But I will stop commenting, this is a yearly tradition for like 4 years straight it seems

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I still do not get overprioritizing a position that might be 4th string at the start of training camp.   But I will stop commenting, this is a yearly tradition for like 4 years straight it seems

This is a bit silly. A 1st round pick is not going to be 4th string at any point. We also use a lot of 2 TE sets. I never understood why you think TE is an inferior position. 

We did something two years ago which was draft Noah Gray. It's just following that up in a much better TE draft pool.  

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

I guess I’m in the boat, that I’m not too concerned if Brown leaves.   People like to point to the Super Bowl as a reason to pay him.     Without pointing out we weren’t just down 1 OL that game.   Pressure was coming from all directions.

Pat will be more than fine if we have 4 good starters,  and we already have 3 of them.   There should be no panic from the FO, keep developing and not overpaying with trades and FA. 

I think the years of developing Niang and Prince may pay off this year. I’d just like to draft one or two more guys to compete and develop. I just wish we would’ve traded Brown.

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I think the years of developing Niang and Prince may pay off this year. I’d just like to draft one or two more guys to compete and develop. I just wish we would’ve traded Brown.

I think the fear is, with his cap number people wouldn’t take him.  But I said my piece on that earlier.

My thoughts about not tagging Brown:

It is all cap considerations. If the team frachises him, they have to cover the tag immediately even if Brown doesn't sign it. Even releasing Clark would not cover that cost. Then there is the risk they can't (if they intend to do so as an alternative to signing him long-term) trade him prior to March 15 when they need to be under the cap - thus forcing them to do other undesirable moves from cutting/trading players to restructuring some causing cap hell in years to come etc.

But if Brown signs with the Chiefs long-term they would be able to accomodate the cap hit over the coming years. However, after they restructured a bunch of contracts over the past two years there is not that much flexibility in 2024 and 2025 as many think.

I firmly believe they will engage in serious negotiations leading up to the new League year but I'm not convinced that will come to fruition.
And I also think that Brown's market as a free agent is not exactly what he expects it to be.

Tampa Bay today released LT Donovan Smith ... just saying  ...

His last contract was 31 M$ for 2 years  ...

Didn't have the best of all season, but obviously played through some ellbow issues. Another guy who may want to get to a final big payday AFTER getting a ring in KC?

35 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Tampa Bay today released LT Donovan Smith ... just saying  ...

His last contract was 31 M$ for 2 years  ...

Didn't have the best of all season, but obviously played through some ellbow issues. Another guy who may want to get to a final big payday AFTER getting a ring in KC?

I wouldn't mind him as a backup. We've been developing Niang and Tega Wanogho for years now. I would hope at least one of them is ready to start by now. I could see an early pick getting the nod too.

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I wouldn't mind him as a backup. We've been developing Niang and Tega Wanogho for years now. I would hope at least one of them is ready to start by now. I could see an early pick getting the nod too.

he might be to expensive as a mere backup. Niang, Wanogho or Kinnard on the right and as backup, Smith on the left .. unless one of the young ones beats him out.