2023: Offseason

onejayhawk

We already had the 3--and traded it to get some WR named Tony--and were hoping for 6-6-7 but only received 6-7. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/09/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-draft-compensatory-picks-announced/

Of course we offset some earlier comp picks by signing Reid, JuJu, and MVS. Next year may be better with Hardman, Thornhill, and Zeus. 

Edited by onejayhawk

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I have to disagree. I don't see what Lazard would bring that we have or can get more cheaply. 

I know you’re used to me arguing with you on moody things.  But here I am agreeing with your statement that Lazard brings little to the table though he may actually be a marginally better blocker…But when it comes to his desire to make the reported 15-18m per season.  I’d rather keep JF88 spend another couple sacks and trade for Nuk or someone else who is actually a receiving threat.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We already had the 3--and traded it to get some WR named Tony--and were hoping for 6-6-7 but only received 6-7. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/09/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-draft-compensatory-picks-announced/

Of course we offset some earlier comp picks by signing Reid, JuJu, and MVS. Next year may be better with Hardman, Thornhill, and Zeus. 

Until we sign Zeus and Juju.  Hardman can go, never liked the pick, never thought he was half as good as he did.  Don’t think replacing him out of this draft would be ultra difficult.

16 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Until we sign Zeus and Juju.  Hardman can go, never liked the pick, never thought he was half as good as he did.  Don’t think replacing him out of this draft would be ultra difficult.

I do not think we will re-sign JuJu. He did his year, got his ring, and now he gets paid. Whether we re-sign Zeus is based on what the market offers. I think the odds are better than even that both are on different teams next season.

One of the things that is important to note is which players have been released vs which players are not re-signed. We can negotiate with the first but not the latter, yet. The players who were released can be signed without impacting the compensation formula. Here are a few of the ones that could be worth discussion, notably Al-Quadin Muhammad, Taylor Lewan, and Cameron Brate.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-free-agency-players-who-dont-affect-compensatory-picks/?itm_source=parsely-api

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I do not think we will re-sign JuJu. He did his year, got his ring, and now he gets paid. Whether we re-sign Zeus is based on what the market offers. I think the odds are better than even that both are on different teams next season.

One of the things that is important to note is which players have been released vs which players are not re-signed. We can negotiate with the first but not the latter, yet. The players who were released can be signed without impacting the compensation formula. Here are a few of the ones that could be worth discussion, notably Al-Quadin Muhammad, Taylor Lewan, and Cameron Brate.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-free-agency-players-who-dont-affect-compensatory-picks/?itm_source=parsely-api

It was mostly tongue in cheek.  I’m on board with Lewan if the price is right. Especially because I don’t feel like it would mean we need to change anything in how we approach the draft necessarily.  But it gives us some mean and nasty, which is always welcome in the trench.

4 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Lewan? Careful here. Prior knee injury

I’m aware, hence the price needing to be right, as well as our approach even after signing him.  If we think one of the guys on the roster have a shot, Lewan is a solid move.  If we’re leaving first round tackle, solid move. If he’s our only tackle we’re going after or we’re looking as a long term or higher dollar answer…nope.  But if the guy’s tweet means he actually wants to play for the champs and is willing to understand his role and value…

I think Carlos Dunlap is the latest Veach archetype of FA signing. He earned huge bonuses by being on the championship team. In Dunlap's case, the ring itself may be the most valuable thing. He never got close before. 

Lewan fits the profile. He's accomplished, possibly near retirement, has incentive to put out for the possibility of a championship. He also does not enter the FA compensation formula. 

We have been saying who we could not afford to re-sign. There is even an article that says that the Chiefs could lose almost all of the UFA. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/3/11/23630455/chiefs-free-agency-2023-all-ufas-may-leave

• Headliners: WR JuJu Smith-Schuster and LT Orlando Brown, Jr.
  • Other starters: RT Andrew Wylie, OG Nick Allegretti, WR Mecole Hardman, and S Juan Thornhill.
  • Rotation and depth: DT Khalen Saunders, Derrick Nnadi and Brandon Williams, DE Carlos Dunlap, RB Jerick McKinnon and Ronald Jones, WR Justin Watson, FB Michael Burton, TE Blake Bell, and ST Deon Bush.

The team would like JuJu and OB Jr back but both are likely gone. Of the next group, only Wylie seems at all likely. Thornhill and Hardman have real value around the league and Allegretti could start for many teams. Of the third group Saunders, Watson, and Burton are worth a look. Watson in particular was valuable based on snap count. 

The article has a point. While the Chiefs would like a lot of players back it's possible only 3-5 of them actually return.

Edited by onejayhawk

I think McKinnon is a player we should borderline overpay for if it comes down to it.  Our offense opened up so much more when he got rolling.  With losing Juju, possibly Watson and probably Hardman…that security blanket I think is with the price barring someone paying him number 1 money.  Especially if we trade CEH for a sack of potatoes.