Derek Carr Steelers New QB

armsteeld

Yet many think Jordan Addison is the answer 😂 QB is the most important position on the field unless it means upgrading over a QB I like 🤔 If Carr is an average QB are most of you admitting that Kenny Pickett was a bad QB this past season? I'd have no issues giving Derek about 20-30million on a 2 year contract. More than likely the Steelers won't publicly show interest but in my opinion they should.

1 minute ago, armsteeld said:

Yet many think Jordan Addison is the answer 😂 QB is the most important position on the field unless it means upgrading over a QB I like 🤔 If Carr is an average QB are most of you admitting that Kenny Pickett was a bad QB this past season? I'd have no issues giving Derek about 20-30million on a 2 year contract. More than likely the Steelers won't publicly show interest but in my opinion they should.

Average QBs get $30 mill or more per season in FA just by looking at current contracts…plus you’re obviously not factoring in that Pickett was a rookie and Carr is an 8 year vet.

You obviously think Carr is an obvious upgrade and think the Hes the missing piece to a SB run…myself and 90% of people just disagree with you.

• Like 3

In order for Carr to be the championship caliber guy you want him to be.....he needs a team stacked around him. 

In order to have a team stacked around him....you can't throw $30M million at one "average" position.

It's a math problem, not an evaluation problem. 

Carr is going to be closer to $40M than he is to $20M. So I would rather have Hargrave/Payne, Cam Sutton, Adrian Amos, and Darius Slayton with Kenny than Derek Carr and.....well, this team as is. 

Having a starting capable QB on a rookie deal is the biggest benefit to team building in the sport. Paying starter money to a mediocre QB is one of the worst. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

In order for Carr to be the championship caliber guy you want him to be.....he needs a team stacked around him. 

You mean like Josh Jacobs, Hunter Renfrow, Darren Waller, and Davonte freaking Adams? Not to mention a great offensive mind in Josh McDaniels.

I like Derek Carr more than most but he is just not it. If he couldn’t do it with those weapons and coach in LV, why would he do anything here with worse weapons and a severe drop off in coaching. It’s insane to me that this is being discussed.

6 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Steelers become a playoff caliber team by signing Derek Carr. Derek Carr makes EVERY offensive player better from day 1. Yes the Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett last year but Omar Khan and Eric Weidl didn't draft him. Carr has tremendous respect for Coach Tomlin and he's someone he'd love to play for. 

Are the Steelers about winning super bowl trophies or catering to lesser players' ego? I prefer championships. Thoughts?

thought:

NO

we have KP and he is better IMO.  Lets keep the mock draft going as before

bold : time will tell.  They have 3 years maybe 4 to get this right. 

• Like 1

@armsteeld, if this were last offseason before we got Kenny, Id be on board.   Not because Im sold on Kenny, but 1)  Carr is a depreciating asset with a high pricetag, 2)  I dont think he is a guy that puts us over the top, especially with Matt Canada as OC and 3)  regardless of my feelings about Kenny, he is a 2nd year 1st round QB that showed enough flashes that I would much rather see what level he gets to and spend the cap space to improve other areas.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Steelers become a playoff caliber team by signing Derek Carr.

I strongly disagree here armsteeld. They are a few pieces away from being a play-off caliber team.  However, that is not the goal. It is to be a Super Bowl winner. They need some pieces in the trenches on offense and defense, a starting ILB, depth at OLB, and a CB1.  That's just for staters and no guarantee to fix all of those positions the way the Steelers need to in one off season.

Derek Carr makes EVERY offensive player better from day 1. Yes the Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett last year but Omar Khan and Eric Weidl didn't draft him. Carr has tremendous respect for Coach Tomlin and he's someone he'd love to play for. 

I have always liked Derek Carr. However, and very objectively I must state, I am not so sure that Carr improves the team in 2023 more than a year two developing Kenny Pickett does.  A player like Carr or Baker last year and with a full off season, probably does that. We are a play-off team that is most likely, one and done again losing to Buffalo or the Bengals in round one. The team has its QB and I think you let him develop and find out what you have. Put the right pieces around the QB.  Like it or not, Kenny Pickett is being given every opportunity to be the Steelers franchise QB.  Truthfully, he has earned the right to do that.  Yes, the Steelers need a veteran QB, but as a player who knows that they are going to be here to be a back-up.  The Steelers need a veteran in a very similar situation as when Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich joined the Steelers be the back-ups behind a younger Ben.

Are the Steelers about winning super bowl trophies or catering to lesser players' ego? I prefer championships. Thoughts?

I think the Steelers are about trying to win Super Bowl trophies.  They tried to do that in ways that were different from what many of us would have done. I think the Steelers were loyal to Ben as they should have been.  We will always wonder what could have been with Ben, Bell, and AB. Those are three superstars that should have added a Lombardi trophy or two in the trophy case. Ego probably stopped that, but player ego's from all three to an extent.  

We all want rings, trophies, and championships for the Steelers.  The blueprint to that has changed and rightfully so, because the old blue print failed. Get strong in the trenches.  The Eagles lost the SB because their DL got dominated in the second half, they turned the ball over, gave up a big special teams play, and they didn't put the Chiefs away early when they could have.  The way the Eagles are built is similar to what the Steelers should do. Enter Andy Weidl. Eagles weakness was actually run defense.  That is what helped propel the Chiefs offense. If the Eagles DL was able to dominate the Chiefs OL, the game is probably a blow-out.  Not making this about the SB, but illustrating the copy-cat league mentality.  The Steelers need to get back to old school smash-mouth football on both sides of the ball.  Derek Carr doesn't give the Steelers what they need in those areas.

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Yet many think Jordan Addison is the answer 😂 QB is the most important position on the field unless it means upgrading over a QB I like 🤔 If Carr is an average QB are most of you admitting that Kenny Pickett was a bad QB this past season?

One has nothing to do with the other. Pickett was a rookie.  Carr's play, stats, and credentials have nothing to do with a first year QB. Give him a chance. I was actually against putting him in early. I wanted to see them stick with Mitch a little longer. I still believe that Kenny benefits from sitting and learning.  I still think that helps many young QB's and let him come into 2023 ready to compete.  The Chiefs let Mahomes sit until the last game of his rookie year. He took over the reigns in year two and has not looked back. I am not saying Pickett is Mahomes, but sometimes the recipes to success can be duplicated.

Despite the difference in philosophy, the fact is that Pickett's numbers and play improved with each game his rookie season. Not coincidentally, the OL play overall improved as well.

I'd have no issues giving Derek about 20-30million on a 2 year contract. More than likely the Steelers won't publicly show interest but in my opinion they should.

I disagree.  They need a veteran or two, but as a back-up. I would not be against bringing another veteran in or even getting a better cap number on Mitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Yet many think Jordan Addison is the answer 😂

Outside of maybe some diehard Pitt fans, I dont think anyone thinks this.

Im not strongly opposed to Addison, but he certainly isn't my first choice, and I dont believe he is "the answer".   Just a possible nice compliment to Pickens and someone Kenny has proven chemistry with.

QB is the most important position on the field unless it means upgrading over a QB I like 🤔 If Carr is an average QB are most of you admitting that Kenny Pickett was a bad QB this past season?

Trevor Lawrence was bad as a rookie.

Josh Allen was bad as a rookie.

Early on, we had zero run game to support our QBs.    Also a horrid OC....which Carr would have to deal with too.

Ill take my chances on a 2nd year QB on his rookie deal who showed some growth over a 32 year old, merely solid QB who sucks in cold weather and will cost about $30m per.

I'd have no issues giving Derek about 20-30million on a 2 year contract.

I respect that, but I strongly disagree.

That tells Kenny youre giving up on him before we even know what we have in him..all for a QB that does NOT put us over the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Even if you’re not a fan of McDaniels you would have to admit he’s in a different stratosphere of who he would be playing under if he came here. That was my point. 

Is he better than Canada — yeah. 

Great offensive mind? No. He’s an average offensive mind who’s been average at best without Brady. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFF said:

Average QBs get $30 mill or more per season in FA just by looking at current contracts…plus you’re obviously not factoring in that Pickett was a rookie and Carr is an 8 year vet.

You obviously think Carr is an obvious upgrade and think the Hes the missing piece to a SB run…myself and 90% of people just disagree with you.

OBVIOUSLY I do. Not concerned with 90% or even 99.9999% of who agrees or disagrees; I'm concerned with how the Steelers feel. If they make no move then I respect that. Being concerned with a general consensus is boring to me.

42 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I disagree.  They need a veteran or two, but as a back-up. I would not be against bringing another veteran in or even getting a better cap number on Mitch. 

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF by ABC Network

Well said without the emotion. Some of you guys have made some very good points. I respect that 💯

• Like 1