Tik Tok should be banned

NeptunePenguins

I'll say this, in all seriousness:

There should 100% be social media restrictions for minors, including what they are allowed to have marketed to them. You'd be stunned to see how many kids "follow" people on social media who are CLEARLY adults marketing things like vaping and other products, where restrictions are circumvented. 

Alcohol commercials can't ever show drinking.

Tobacco commercials are BANNED and relegated to magazines. Camel Joe was banned for marketing to minors.

...but social media is the wild west for solicitations and marketing to any and all age demographics.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

I had a talk with my very educated friends and they all agree that it should be banned.

Good start. Real good start.

Btw one of them is 21, so not all of them are old *** millennials.

what year is it GIF

One of them is indeed a zoomer.

Should’ve led with this IMO. 

So it should likely be banned. 

How many very educated people was it? And you’re sure the zoomer agreed? 

• Like 5

As long as there are virtually no consumer data privacy, collection, and third-party sale regulations, banning Tik-Tok wouldn't solve the problem. There would instantly be some copy that does all the same things.

The way around this is to regulate social media companies so they can't keep or re-sell the advertising profile of their userbase.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Oh I'm just asking if Tik Tok should be banned.

You actually are stating it should be banned, you didn’t ask. 

I don't give a crap about alcohol and tobacco. I just hate people that use Tik Tok.

Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU

Tik Tok is the only social media app I would ban since it sucks. The rest kind of suck but they shouldn't be banned. 

Have you talked to your state representative?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

As long as there are virtually no consumer data privacy, collection, and third-party sale regulations, banning Tik-Tok wouldn't solve the problem. There would instantly be some copy that does all the same things.

The way around this is to regulate social media companies so they can't keep or re-sell the advertising profile of their userbase.

I think we are actually discussing banning tik-tok because PN just hates the people who use it.

I see the natural progression but you jumped a lot of steps. Let’s just let this one be a slow burn. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

Good start. Real good start.

what year is it GIF

Should’ve led with this IMO. 

How many very educated people was it? And you’re sure the zoomer agreed? 

The ages of the people that agreed. 

43, 36, 32, 31, 21, 21, girl is like either 21 at least IIRC

So 3 zoomers agree I think. 

• Like 1

Just now, NeptunePenguins said:

The ages of the people that agreed. 

43, 36, 32, 31, 21, 21, girl is like either 21 at least IIRC

So 3 zoomers agree I think. 

@Malfatron is the resident math expert… I’ll need him to take a look at the numbers 

Looks like a good group though 

The digital and "big tech" ethics for rising adolescent demographics for things such as anxiety, depression, and self harm should be looked at seriously...but there's no incentive for these companies to do so.

Essentially it's like Jerry McGuire making an ethics manifesto for the sports agency in making less money and caring more about the consumer for a better quality service...which resulted in:

200.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's all spread out and the main thing they abide by is COPPA (kids protection aka if you're under 13 when you create an account that data is now illegal) since the government kinda pretends to care about that when it's relevant (see youtube) 

States have done **** all outside of california but even then loooool the best thing we got was the EU forcing companies to delete all of your data or give you a copy of it or face % of revenue esque fines. (Still worth it though because meh what's 5% to 25% profits) still it's nice to see what data they have on you.

Tiktok is not the biggest problem from this and while they may be suspect (Chinese influences) .......let's be honest it doesn't matter who has your data, facebook, instagram, snapchat, tumblr, myspace, yahoos corpse. 

They all sell it and track you across the web. 

8 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Honestly myself, I wouldn't ban it myself. Which is why I didn't include my age (mid 20s) in the group for one, though I wanted to hear from people that don't want the app banned, which I am struggling to really find online. 

It's a genuinely engaging app with the best algorithm for short form content, Youtube's attempt is pitiful at best, anything else is just an addition to the platform instead of the focus of said platform.

If you're struggling to find why people don't want it banned online it's because you like everyone else in this world have a limited data sample and a poll of 5-10 friends isn't conclusive to the benefit of a giant social media app's influence on an entire country. It's not perfect but it's a solid improvement because it's goal is short interactive content and sharing short form videos not keeping you on the platform and being your main method of communication with the world. (facebook, instagram, messenger, whatsapp, Ouichat etc.) Instagram literally prioritizes you spending money on their ads now more than anything. 

Don't even get me started on the hell that is linkedin.